Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Completion date nearing....next steps?

Post Thanks / Like

Completion date nearing....next steps?

Hi All.

I confirmed with FFR yesterday that my 33 Hot Rod will be ready for Stewart Transportation as committed on Saturday (8/29).

For those who have had it delivered by Stewart Transportation, how soon after the require date completion from FFR has been met does Stewart pick up the car and begin the delivery journey?

I know when I called Stewart several weeks back they told me they would call me about a week out before they pick up the car to give me details and collect payment but they haven't called yet (not sure if that is good or bad) so I'm in the dark a little.

Please excuse the 5 year old behavior / excitement but honestly, I haven't been this giddy / excited for something in quite a long time. I'm a program manager in the high tech industry by trade and a control freak, and now that I've run out of things on this 33 to track, monitor, call, organize, etc. I'm going a little stir crazy knowing there is not a lot I can do.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!

I went through Stewart as well, and it was about 2-1/2 weeks after my completion date when it arrived for delivery. Of course, that will vary depending on where you are in the delivery lineup. The completion date from FFR isn't necessarily when Stewart will pick it up either, but that's not really a bad thing. In my case, many items on the POL were available by the time the kit was picked up, so they arrived all at once.

Only thing you really need to be prepared for delivery is some jack stands for the frame, and somewhere to put 30 boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you. I understand why you are getting antsy.

Stewart transports FFR cars east to west and then they transport airplane kits west to east to avoid a dead head run. Scheduling is a pretty constant process for them with FF. The wildcards for your car making it on a specific truck are how many cars have become available at once prior to yours, domestic or overseas delivery (overseas shipments are crated and take up double or more the room of a single car) and even geographic zone to keep the driver on the east coast for 5 deliveries as oposed to bouncing all over the country.

My car slipped on at the last second when another car was held back for some reason. Stewart called on a Friday afternoon that they would pick up on Saturday for delivery the following Wednesday. The driver called me Sunday afternoon and said he would be at my house the next morning at 7:00 AM. Holy Cow!

I would give Stewart a call tomorrow morning if you have not heard anything. They can tell you how many they have to pick up and what they think it looks like for your car. My truck had four roadsters on it - 3 bodies were hung in the rack at the rear and a fourth was crated for delivery to Long Beach, CA for shipment to Hawaii. Driver said that the truck was full. Your body looks taller than a roadster and may pack different in the mix.

Hang in there and Merry Christmas on your upcoming delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trigger warning: With the unavoidable back-ordered parts situation and delivery of accessories over time, you are going to have a "Pavolvian" reaction EVERY time you see a UPS truck. Don't worry, it takes a few years, but it will wear off.

My advice to you:
    • please be sure you get a REAL pair of jackstands, rags don't work.
    • If you have the powdercoated frame option, please put blue painter's tape over the round tubes, you will step on them hundreds of times during your build.
    • Take the duct tape off the body, hood, etc. immediately. Do NOT wait a year like I did. The painter's tape will get dry, crusty, gooey, or both. I wasted an hour and a whole can of acetone getting that crud off.
    • Take a zillion pictures of the body's sheet metal and how they overlap before you disassemble everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that you are not excited enough already, but see you at a future one of these?

https://www.ffcars.com/threads/janua...y-beer.473449/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyH8...ature=youtu.be

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had Stewart pick up cars within a couple days of the completion but I have also had kits sit on FFR’s dock for as long as 6 weeks afterwards awaiting pick up. I’ve found that Stewart’s answers on anticipated pick up dates are sometimes not especially reliable. Probably a good idea to check in with Stewart just to confirm that they have you in their lineup.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses all, i appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my answer from Todd at Stewart. Sounds like they are planning a midwest run mid-Sept in which mine would be one of the kits that will be on the truck. Tentative pick up date @FFR for now is 9/14 - 9/21 (could change).

They will confirm in the next week or so and let me know the official date. Once they have the official date I'll at least get a delivery window.

While I'd like the kit as soon as I can get it, that is probably okay since it will give me time to finish up my Austin Healey rebuild and get my 65 Mustang clutch changed prior to this kit showing up.