FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Texas - Title Transfer of Assembled Vehicle from Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Texas - Title Transfer of Assembled Vehicle from Michigan

I came across a deal for a previous build '33 that is a really good deal. I'm very seriously considering going this route, but have discovered an issue that I have concerns about.
    The car is built and originally titled in Michigan and their assembled vehicle rules say that the car is titled the year of completion, which is 2015. If I built the car here in Texas it could be titled as a 1933 and be exempt from yearly inspections and emissions regulations. My question for anyone here who may have any insight is: when I do a title transfer to Texas am I going to be able to change the year, or be able to register it as a "Replica" or "Street Rod" in order to avoid emissions regs?

I've been pouring through the TxDot Assembled Vehicle Manual AND the TxDot Registration Manuals, and I can't find a definitive answer either way. Though that my be due to my reading comprehension or my attention span, and the real answer is there in black and white.

I'm going to go talk to the kind ladies at the registration office tomorrow - thankfully they're open here in Llano county - but I thought I'd present the question to the forum for feedback as well.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

2. Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    I came across a deal for a previous build '33 that is a really good deal. I'm very seriously considering going this route, but have discovered an issue that I have concerns about.
    The car is built and originally titled in Michigan and their assembled vehicle rules say that the car is titled the year of completion, which is 2015. If I built the car here in Texas it could be titled as a 1933 and be exempt from yearly inspections and emissions regulations. My question for anyone here who may have any insight is: when I do a title transfer to Texas am I going to be able to change the year, or be able to register it as a "Replica" or "Street Rod" in order to avoid emissions regs?

I've been pouring through the TxDot Assembled Vehicle Manual AND the TxDot Registration Manuals, and I can't find a definitive answer either way. Though that my be due to my reading comprehension or my attention span, and the real answer is there in black and white.

I'm going to go talk to the kind ladies at the registration office tomorrow - thankfully they're open here in Llano county - but I thought I'd present the question to the forum for feedback as well.
    I don't know that this person will be able to point you in the right direction, but it couldn't hurt to reach out. She actually handled (or prepped) all of my registration and titling docs and I had absolutely 0 problems.

Classic Auto Title
    Leesy Palmer
    214-697-8948
    [email protected]
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/