Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: LS3 with C6 corvette oil pan dipstick length?

Post Thanks / Like

LS3 with C6 corvette oil pan dipstick length?

I have a C6 Corvette oil pan on my LS3, but it didn't come with a dipstick/dipstick tube installed. I have a couple C5 sticks/tubes. I installed the C5 Z06 tube and dipstick, but I was wondering if the length is right for measuring oil level accurately. Does someone have the OEM LS3 Corvette dipstick/tube and can measure how far the dipstick sticks out of the pan end of the tube when fully seated? Thanks!

Here's my pan:

Dave
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    72mm from the tube end to the tip of the dipstick on my C6 LS2 dipstick. fwiw the length from the underside of the flange and oring part where it seats in the block to the tip of the dipstick is 140mm.
    Last edited by HardRocker; 11-09-2020 at 04:06 PM.

3. Likes beeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's mine from a 2002 z06. Sounds like exactly what you are describing. Are the min/max markings in the same location on yours?

ocrueyuu.jpg
    Last edited by beeman; 11-10-2020 at 08:55 AM.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    2CEAAD01-3C19-46A7-8910-66F155DC2B82.jpegMine is 96mm and 111mm from under that flange to the top and bottom of the level grid.
    Last edited by HardRocker; 11-10-2020 at 12:53 AM.

7. Likes beeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are really two reasons to use a dipstick. One is to make sure there is sufficient oil in the system to keep the engine fed with oil under all conditions. The other reason is to make sure there is not too much oil and the crank could then be covered in oil. At the minimum the covered crank will reduce performance, and under extreme conditions it could lead to crank warpage and even failure.

So that being said, there can be two trains of thought on the lower level. One is that if you are running the same amount as the spec for your LS3, and it is not over filled, then, whatever the dipstick may say, that is the correct amount. You could fill it with this amount and then remark the dipstick.

On the other hand, if the pan/pickup is drastically different, then putting in the correct amount of oil as per the original application for that pan should ensure that the pickup has enough oil around it at all times to not run dry. You will definitely want to check that this amount of oil will not overfill the pan though.

Probably your best bet is to use the upper level/measurement for the "FULL" marking from the dipstick that is correct for your LS3 and the lower or "ADD" marking from the pan manufacturers recommendations or it's original application.

Bottom line is that this is a potentially significant issue that you should consider closely because nothing ruins an engine faster than oil starvation.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mike, I agree with what you said.
    So the LS3 with Corvette pan calls for 5.5 qt with and oil change with filter. Which would probably leave how much in the engine after draining? 0.2 qt? So for a new fill, add 5.7 or so and see where it lies? Or pony up and buy the right dipstick . It's not the cost, it's the wait for shipping. We Americans have it so rough!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm installing a Lokar LS1 dipstick on my LS3 and spoke to the Lokar tech about it. He instructed me to fill the engine and check it with the stock dip stick that came with my engine and then cut the length of the LS1 Lokar dipstick (cable style) to meet the LS3 stock reading. I'm wondering if I can just measure and cut like we are discussing here.

My LS3 / 427 came with a tag stating oil capacity is 6 quarts, but I'm adding an oil cooler and need to educate myself on the process of filling the engine and priming that system. I've got the volume of the cooler and would imagine I could calculate the volume of the hoses and then add that. I've just never primed and filled a system like this and I'll run into the same thing with my Mendy trans axle.

Apologies, not intending to derail the current discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, that is good information. I spoke with my LPE guy about my LS3 build. He said the LS6 dipstick will be fine. Capacity depends on which oil pan you are running. The LS3 C6 calls for 5.5 quarts without oil cooler, 6 quarts with the GM oil cooler. I used this image to figure out which oil pan I had.
    I added 5.5 quarts + filled the oil filter.
    Possibly first start tomorrow.

all_oil_pan_dims_2_1_1024x1024.jpg
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked back at my engine tag and it says 6 quarts for pan and filter, so that is right in line with what you have on your LS3 as well. I also just took delivery of my Setrab coolers for both engine and transaxle and the documentation online states .4 quarts, so I’m betting another .1 for hoses and that would land me at .5 quart for the cooler.

Keep us posted on the possible first start. Good luck!!!