Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: The Wright Roadster Build #9953

Post Thanks / Like

Cool The Wright Roadster Build #9953

UPDATE: So it seems already that I get less activity here on this thread than I do on FFCars and posting on two different forums can be a little tedious. So for those interested, this build thread will continue here: https://www.ffcars.com/threads/the-w...d-9953.642236/

Hello fellow builders!

Noob here and this is 100% my first, but certainly not my last build. I just picked up my kit the day after Thanksgiving and the unloading process went far more smoothly than I originally anticipated, great success!

Background: I've done some wrenching and modding on my various cars in the past, but never anything of this scale. For a year in college I was part of the FSAE team and we built an overpowered go kart from the ground up, so there's that to ad to my resume. Aside from this limited experience, all I have to bring to the table is a homemade shop, an onslaught of tools from Harbor Freight and "the thing between my ears".

Plan: I have a rather ambitious plan for this build. I was originally supposed to attend the build class in MI 2 weeks ago, but, sadly, that was cancelled due to COVID. My end goal date I would like to achieve would be middle of July, just before my wedding, but that date can be flexible. It would be so cool to "drive away" in this fresh build. My soon-to-be brother-in-law will be mostly building this together, so having an extra set of hands should help expedite things a bit.

Status: The kit has been picked up, I have inventoried all of the parts and all of the panels have been numbered, marked and removed, with the exception of the F panels. Next is the suspension.

Now, I feel like I might be at a slight disadvantage since I do not have the build class under my belt, but with the research I've done and the review I have done of the manual (all 527 pages), I think I might be okay. However, I would greatly appreciate any and all build tips and tricks people can impart on me along the way.

I'm not the best at self promotion, so I apologize in advance if I do not update this thread regularly, but I will do my best. for a little eye pleasure, I have added some pictures of my inventory system and my garage setup.

Looking forward to the next step of the process!!

Day of pickup. Moments later I started vibrating with excitement
    IMG_1754.jpg

Unloading party. My neighbor was the only other one nearly as excited as me about this (guy on the right)
    IMG_4830.jpg

All of the boxes completely inventoried
    IMG_4904.jpeg

Yes, yes, I laid out the carpet in the very beginning. I'm not as dumb as I look
    IMG_4906.jpg

The ridiculous amount of leftover packaging
    IMG_4907.jpg

Stack of aluminum panels. I hope I did this part right
    IMG_4905.jpg

Finally, the garage and the new home for my kit for the next 8-12 months
    IMG_4903.jpg
    Last edited by thwrightstuff; 12-04-2020 at 09:47 AM.
    MKIV Complete Kit | Forte 306ci BP Engine Carb'd | Tremec T5 trans | IRS w/Ford 3.55 diff | Driver Rollbar

Purchased Date: 8/31/2020
    Kit Picked up: 11/27/2020

2. Likes Rook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upon further review of my backorder list and after going through the first steps of the front suspension, I realized that I do not have the front LCAs, which is frustrating. I got confirmation from FFR that it might be about 4 weeks before those parts will get to me. However, I decided to move forward and ear mark the pages and sections I couldn't do.

The next stage of the process is supposed to be installing the spindles, brakes and IRS. I am considering working on that, or some of that, tonight, but am wondering if it would be worth continuing with the fronts while my parts list is incomplete.

In any event, here are some colorful pics of the work I did last night. Getting the top bolts for the UCAs torqued was a bit of a b**** and it was a little sketch fitting a spanner in there sideways, but I got it to work. I have to say, I know I'm only about 1.5 hours into the fun bits, but I am totally in love with this project. This is 100% the adult version of Legos. I feel like I never grew up, it's awesome!

IMG_4917.jpg

IMG_4920.jpg

IMG_4921.jpg
    MKIV Complete Kit | Forte 306ci BP Engine Carb'd | Tremec T5 trans | IRS w/Ford 3.55 diff | Driver Rollbar

Purchased Date: 8/31/2020
    Kit Picked up: 11/27/2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thwrightstuff View Post
    I am wondering if it would be worth continuing with the fronts while my parts list is incomplete.
    You are really going to need those lowers to continue with the front however you can work on some of the related subassemblies; load up the calipers with pads and hardware, assemble the steering arms to the spindles making sure that they angle outward and have the large end of the taper pointing down, install the bearings and hubs onto the spindles.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If it helps I was missing my lowers also and I was able to stay busy until they arrived. They'll be there before you know it.
    Matt

FFR Complete Kit, Coyote, Tremec TKX, 3.73 IRS, power steering, 18" Halibrands, Wilwood brakes, Gas-N pipes + header, Viking blue color
    Roadster Build Time Tracker