Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A/C Compressor oil

Post Thanks / Like

A/C Compressor oil

Hi guys,

Need some help here. I got a new Delphi A/C compressor for my build. I forgot to check for oil before installing it. Any of you guys know if they come with oil on them or not?

Thanks
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Some do, some don't!!! Ask me how I know!! Mine didn't which, like you, I discovered AFTER the engine was in. I removed the header, undid the comp. mtg bolts, pulled the comp out from the mounts so I had access to the fill plug. Made up a dipstick and checked for oil. DRY!!! rigged up some tubing and a funnel, and filled it with the correct amt. of oil plus leak-check dye, re-assembled. A real PITA!!! Kicked myself for forgetting to check it after it arrived, so much easier to do on the bench.
    HTH.
    Cheers, Jeff
    PS...Don't know why SSP is such a PITA to deal with, they're getting a really bad rep.
    GTM 422, LS6, cam, heads, Mendeola trans

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=claybags;36303]Some do, some don't!!! Ask me how I know!! Mine didn't which, like you, I discovered AFTER the engine was in. I removed the header, undid the comp. mtg bolts, pulled the comp out from the mounts so I had access to the fill plug. Made up a dipstick and checked for oil. DRY!!! rigged up some tubing and a funnel, and filled it with the correct amt. of oil plus leak-check dye, re-assembled. A real PITA!!! Kicked myself for forgetting to check it after it arrived, so much easier to do on the bench.
    HTH.
    Cheers, Jeff
    PS...Don't know why SSP is such a PITA to deal with, they're getting a really bad rep.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Just got and email from the place I ordered it and he confirmed that mine comes dry.

About SSP, over the phone Steve sounds like a real pleasure to do business with. Very accommodating to any custom requests on the harnesses but in the end there was always a new excuse for not being done with it. I did have a horrible experience with them. Did you order something from them?
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I got a semi custon engine harness plus a re-man ECM. Took a while, but I am in AZ . Harness was very nice, ECM..well, kept getting a code that my 4 wheel dr P/N was screwed up, so I don't know what it was out of. Then started hearing stuff about him among the local tuners, so I went somewhere else. Too bad.
    Hey, I was anchored out in the bay there a few years ago, I shoulda' looked you up had I known LOL.
    Cheers, Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by claybags View Post
    Hey, I was anchored out in the bay there a few years ago, I shoulda' looked you up had I known LOL.
    Cheers, Jeff
    Where at San Juan or here at Cabo Rojo? If you ever make it back down here shoot me a PM.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Cabo Rojo. Hung out for a few days before crossing the Mona Passage to the DR. Fun time!!
    Cheers, Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    More precisely...Boqueron
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    More precisely...Boqueron
    Jeff
    I live about ten minutes away from Boqueron. Are you one of those guys that come all the way from the states on a sail boat? Did you by any chance stopped at Mona island on your way to the DR? I'm glad you had a fun time here.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we were on our way to Florida from the Meditteranean after spending 4 years in Europe. Now with a GTM, I fear my sailing days are at an end! LOL

Cheers, Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we were on our way to Florida from the Meditteranean after spending 4 years in Europe. Now with a GTM, I fear my sailing days are at an end! LOL

Cheers, Jeff
    That is one LOOOOOOOOOOOONG sailing trip.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed the compressor last night and took it to the shop of a friend to add the required amount of oil. I always like to see the positive side of things, even in situations like this one where I forgot to add the oil before the install. I had to pull the compressor to add the oil but the good thing was that I was able to read the serial number of the engine which is hidden behind the compressor. I will need that number when the time to register the car arrives. I was also able to solve another problem I had. The connector on the compressor is located at about 8 o'clock on the stock C5 compressor. This created a clearance issue with the chassis. As soon as the engine would have moved on hard acceleration or deceleration it would have broken that connector from the compressor clutch. I had even marked the chassis to modify it to gain some clearance. After pulling the compressor I noticed that there is another notch at about 2 o'clock on it that can accommodate the clutch connector. So, I asked my friend to pull out the clutch and relocate the connector in that notch. No more clearance issue there.

Before

After relocating the connector

GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    I removed the compressor last night and took it to the shop of a friend to add the required amount of oil. I always like to see the positive side of things, even in situations like this one where I forgot to add the oil before the install. I had to pull the compressor to add the oil but the good thing was that I was able to read the serial number of the engine which is hidden behind the compressor. I will need that number when the time to register the car arrives.
    That's where it is... I knew that I had seen it. The person that I spoke to said that it was on the front of the block on the passenger side, just below the head. I understood that to mean somewhere around the water pump. But then I vaguely remembered seeing a lazer etched serial number on the side of the block, but couldn't remember where.

That will sure help some other people here! Thanks for posting this!
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Kempo, How much A/C Compressor oil did you add ?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,

7 oz were addded to the compressor. There will be another 3 that will be added with the refrigerant.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kempo