Just completed my full MA safety/emissions inspection process. It was a long story that involved a trip to Cape Cod, a tow, a transmission rebuild, and lots of time driving around getting my EVAP system to show up as "ready" (may not have been necessary).

A few notes that might help someone else...
  • I thought I was done a year ago because I had a working OBD system and passed emissions inspection at a local shop. Apparently they had not selected "Kit Car". Later on, the state flagged it in the system, so I failed inspection at the shop this year regardless of the OBD situation. Don't let them pass you on that first try. It is not doing you any favors. You want that reject sticker the first time around.
  • I called up the state and went to a MAC center for visual inspection, and then back to the local shop to finish up the inspection.
  • At the MAC center, they told me that the vehicle will be emissions exempt from now on, since the drive train is over 15 years old. It only needs a safety inspection.
  • The couple of folks I dealt with there were super helpful. They want to help you pass inspection but they also must comply with the changing MA rules and laws.
  • Anything marketed "50 state legal" (e.g. AccessTuner, catalytic converter) should have California ARB Executive Order. I thought it helped to print out that documentation and receipts to document that I was complying with emissions requirements. You can search up the ARB documentation online.