Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Selling unfinished kit in Colorado

Post Thanks / Like

Selling unfinished kit in Colorado

I am thinking of selling my partially completed FFR 35 Ford pickup kit. About 2/3 done.
    How do you sell with only the FFR supplied MSO, that only has dealer transfer signature spaces on the back. Does a detailed bill of sale suffice? I know registration of a completed car is fun with the DMV, but how about an unfinished one?
    Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a nightmare. You can do it, but it takes a lot of steps, and a lot of time.

Best thing to do is take the MSO down to the DMV and get a title. Not get it registered, just turn the MSO in to a title.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bob. But getting title requires me to pay sales tax???
    I had thought of getting title, and then transfer is easy, but not sure how they would treat a car in parts. I guess from MSO, they don't know what shape the car is in.
    Sounds like you have some experience. Care to elaborate on steps involved?
    I am going over to DMV next week to see what they say, and check out options
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Until it is titled it is only considered parts and you can sell it in whatever way you want.
    My coupe was sold this way before I had it painted and titled.
    Just make up yourself a good bill of sale document and make sure before you do anything cash is hand or an electronic deposit thru your bank.
    Talk to them so that they can keep things on the up and up for you.
    Good luck with the sale and sorry that you have to get rid of it.
    Todd
    Todd Baumann
    FFR Build School Instructor 16+ Years Mott Community College
    FFR 2086 MKI, 22+ years on the road
    FFR 300 MKI Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    In CO, if you sell the kit, it's not considered just parts. It's a kit car. The MSO is not transferable. It can be done with a bill of sale, but it's a real PITA. One of our club members did that, and it took more than 6 months to get it done.

As for taxes, IDK. If you register it as a car, then you certainly do. But IDK about a title only.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    In Colorado, you are technically required to pay sales tax in the year the items are purchased. When the car is eventually titled, you will pay it and the owner tax for each year from the original purchase to the present. That was a shocker for me. Also, in order to title the car (kit), you need a VIN. To get a VIN you need to have the car inspected by the Colorado State Patrol. It may be possible to get a VIN on an uncompleted kit, but that may be difficult.

Have you tried to contact FFR to see if they can do an MSO transfer from you to the new owner?

This may be helpful: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3uXbVXPzc93FaX
    Last edited by Papa; 01-03-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

7. Thanks Clover thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A former commenter on another post indicated (35 pickup forum) that FFR will not get involved. It is a shame they only have dealer language on the back of MSO. Seems like a simple change to add space for individual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    A former commenter on another post indicated (35 pickup forum) that FFR will not get involved. It is a shame they only have dealer language on the back of MSO. Seems like a simple change to add space for individual.
    Sounds like you're referencing a couple of things I said. So will comment again. The certificate is an industry standard form. Not something Factory Five invented. Not sure why you keep making them responsible for it. Signature transfers are by dealers only as the form is not typically used by consumers like an actual vehicle title. Obviously, you can call Factory Five and confirm what I've said including not issuing a new certificate. Call and ask for Sally.

I'd mainly emphasize again that most states won't have a problem with this. A properly executed bill of sale showing the transfer of ownership from the person who's name is on the certificate to the new owner is adequate in nearly all cases. There are of many of these partial builds sold and titled later without any issues.

And if you really want to get technical about it, it's not your problem. It's the buyer's. If the two of you agree on a sale, sign a bill of sale, you accept the funds, and they take the kit, it's their issue now. But any informed buyer should know what they're getting into and perform their own due diligence before completing the sale.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-03-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Sounds like you're referencing a couple of things I said. So will comment again. The certificate is an industry standard form. Not something Factory Five invented. Not sure why you keep making them responsible for it. Signature transfers are by dealers only as the form is not typically used by consumers like an actual vehicle title. Obviously, you can call Factory Five and confirm what I've said including not issuing a new certificate. Call and ask for Sally.

I'd mainly emphasize again that most states won't have a problem with this. A properly executed bill of sale showing the transfer of ownership from the person who's name is on the certificate to the new owner is adequate in nearly all cases. There are of many of these partial builds sold and titled later without any issues. I plan to visit our DMV next week to explore options.

And if you really want to get technical about it, it's not your problem. It's the buyer's. If the two of you agree on a sale, sign a bill of sale, you accept the funds, and they take the kit, it's their issue now. But any informed buyer should know what they're getting into and perform their own due diligence before completing the sale.
    I agree the MSO form is specified by statute, at least the front of the form. See nothing relating to transfers on the rear of the form. Not arguing with you.
    Colorado appears to be one of the troublesome states where a bill of sale may not work, so looking for options.
    I agree it is technically not my problem, but will be my problem if things don’t work out on buyers end.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by rponfick; 01-03-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you still have this?