Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: New Member in San Jose CA area

Post Thanks / Like

Cool New Member in San Jose CA area

Hello everyone. My name is Bob from the San Jose area of California. My interests lie in building a street/track car that can be registered and smogged in California. I prefer a GMC motor and 5/6 speed. I have viewed virtually a 100 videos of builds on YouTube. These videos make me very nervous about a build on my own. The most frightening is the fieberglass body fitment. I may look into buying an existing built kit. Most of the kits do not have legal roll bars, maybe the 65 coupe and MK? Modifications need to be made to the existing frame. Roll bars are needed for most tracks and racing clubs I am aware of. I have joined the nearest local forum.
    I am a retired electrical engineer. I have a flock of three Pontiac Firebirds, 1974, 1997 and 1999. I restored the 1974 Formula 350 and added functional RamAir scoops and air cleaner. Some pictures are in my gallery. The 1997 TransAm convertible has a six speed with suspension upgrades and SLP Loudmouth exhaust. It was raced from 1999 through 2000 when the rules required a rollbar. The 1999 FireHawk has a 4 speed auto with suspension upgrades. It was raced from 2000 through 20003.

1- Build it, repair it
    2- Race it
    3- Break it
    4 - Go to 1
    What to build?

2. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi bob, welcome. It sounds like a 65 coupe is a good option for you, but if you want a roadster that is also very much an option. You can either get a challenge car, or any 65 coupe should be fine. Alternatively, you can have a more complete cage put on the roadster. My roadster in progress getting a full cage put in, and has an LS3/TR6060 combo which might be right along with what you are talking about.

Attached Images Attached Images

4. Likes toadster liked this post