Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Factory Five GTM Supercar, fastthings video build log

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson1 View Post
    That looks great. I was wondering how you were going to finish off the interior pieces. I plan to fiberglass some of the portions of the dash, this may be a good option.
    So far the glass work on the plastic dash parts is holding, no problem.

Still going,
    https://youtu.be/s2-7YK6aDjU

Post Thanks / Like
    that red strip looks sweet..... I cant wait to see what It looks like installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene I think your interior is looking great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys,
    I've been so busy I forgot to post my last video.
    https://youtu.be/Omm5R0xoVA8

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing job! I love the fact that you really thought out every detail. I look forward to seeing the final video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitetrain View Post
    I love the fact that you really thought out every detail.
    But I didn't, and that all takes more time. Things that I add on as I go, I want integrated also. It's driving me nuts, and yes I am almost done.
    Thanks man

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What did you use to bond the dash back together? And what filler did you use?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    What did you use to bond the dash back together? And what filler did you use?
    Same thing as what I used on the body, fiberglass, bondo, and primer. None of it is made for plastic, but if it sticks it sticks. The fiberglass does bond to it pretty well, so did the bondo and primer.
    Products are available for plastics, but none of stuff I did is structural, so no big deal.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmm....ok...well that makes it simple.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    hmm....ok...well that makes it simple.
    Yes, use at your own risk. Test a piece, put some glass on it and see if it holds good enough for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/tFAsClK040I

I am almost done, one more should do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been watching your video's from the beginning and I just noticed that in video 27 at 9:10 you say "I'm not really going for a high end interior".... I guess you changed your mind :-)

You have one of the most "high end" interiors I have ever seen, and that includes production cars. :-)

Great Job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson1 View Post
    I have been watching your video's from the beginning and I just noticed that in video 27 at 9:10 you say "I'm not really going for a high end interior".... I guess you changed your mind :-)

You have one of the most "high end" interiors I have ever seen, and that includes production cars. :-)

Great Job!
    LOL, I did say that didn't I. Well, one thing leads to another.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    LOL, I did say that didn't I. Well, one thing leads to another.
    Thanks
    And you said that you would have to come and hunt me down...

Great work!
    Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    And you said that you would have to come and hunt me down...

Great work!
    Mike
    I know, you did this to me. My buddy in the stereo shop still talks about your car, he sees it on facebook. Your car has status.

Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene, Awesome job man.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Gene, Awesome job man.
    Thanks, it's coming.

Hey, could someone tell me what part I need to hook up my horn. I see a few different aftermarket horn wires, not sure what I need. It is the wire from the column to the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gene,
    The factory five wheel came with the jumper wire to connect the horn button to the column,it was in the box with the steering wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
    Hey Gene,
    The factory five wheel came with the jumper wire to connect the horn button to the column,it was in the box with the steering wheel.
    OK, I see the wire, I guess I don't know where to hook it up. I thought I was looking for the old style spring with the push in and twist post.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...jghhoC-dLw_wcB

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/trSUIRpgVfE

Looks like video 80 is what it takes to finnish my GTM, this one is 79. Also looks like I need to put head gaskets on my 6.0 ford before I can goto the car show.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/dN0enHEH3q0

I'm done with the build log. I will continue to do video updates as things go along. I made it to the local car show, it was amazing. Over 400 cars showed up, so many people.
    Everyone was amazed at the car, I spoke to over 500 people, I'm sure. Still lots to do, but I feel like I made it.

I will do a proper walk around, and some photos. One of those things to do, before something happens!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well done Gene. You should be proud.

Take some pics and video of the cherry finished product.... Then drive it like you stole it!
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/dN0enHEH3q0

I'm done with the build log. I will continue to do video updates as things go along. I made it to the local car show, it was amazing. Over 400 cars showed up, so many people.
    Everyone was amazed at the car, I spoke to over 500 people, I'm sure. Still lots to do, but I feel like I made it.

I will do a proper walk around, and some photos. One of those things to do, before something happens!!
    Congrats Gene! It has been fun following you through this build. Your video documentation has been a tremendous help to everyone who has watched. There has always been something that we could learn and look for in our own builds.

Thank you. Now enjoy you car!

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Very well done Gene. You should be proud.

Take some pics and video of the cherry finished product.... Then drive it like you stole it!
    Thanks, and yes sir, I am on it. I can't wait to pick your brain setting things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Gene! It has been fun following you through this build. Your video documentation has been a tremendous help to everyone who has watched. There has always been something that we could learn and look for in our own builds.

Thank you. Now enjoy you car!

Mike
    Thank you Mike,
    you more than any can relate to the emotions it takes to complete a dream, it's hard core.
    For some reason this car really makes you earn it, and I'm really not sure why. The thing that continually shocked me about this build is how I misjudged the time it took me to do each little thing.
    It is so hard to stay on something and finnish it, that keeps fighting you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on a job well done Gene!!! You have a top notch example of what a GTM can be. Hope you enjoy diving it as much as you did building it.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is some of the local car show.
    https://youtu.be/IB9R8rmiJtY

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Mike,
    you more than any can relate to the emotions it takes to complete a dream, it's hard core.
    For some reason this car really makes you earn it, and I'm really not sure why. The thing that continually shocked me about this build is how I misjudged the time it took me to do each little thing.
    It is so hard to stay on something and finnish it, that keeps fighting you.
    Gene... I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe the GTM more perfectly...! It MAKES you EARN it!

Well Sir, you've certainly earned yours.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Congratulations on a job well done Gene!!! You have a top notch example of what a GTM can be. Hope you enjoy diving it as much as you did building it.
    Thanks Hugo, you know, at the beginning you where my inspiration. I hope your car is still giving you no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene... I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe the GTM more perfectly...! It MAKES you EARN it!

Well Sir, you've certainly earned yours.

Mike
    Again thanks, God bless us all, we go threw a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again thanks, God bless us all, we go threw a lot.
    I am still looking for the dam like button! :-)
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/LZYjFC67qd0

I ended up at 2700lbs, 60/40 split rear to front. I split the weight side to side, cross weight is at 50%. with me in it.
    Camber is about -3/4 front and rear. Caster is equal at about 4.5 I think. One side started at 8, thats why it wanted to dart into the ditch, and the cross weight was way off.
    It feels real good now.
    If you guys want to hear what the wind whistle sounds like with Shanes grill, you can hear it in the video. Not sure what I will do about that.
    I finally got the people at the DOL to find the right button to push, I have my plates!!! NO inspection, NO imissions, the only receipt I needed was the invoice from FFR. Love that lady

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/LZYjFC67qd0

I ended up at 2700lbs, 60/40 split rear to front. I split the weight side to side, cross weight is at 50%. with me in it.
    Camber is about -3/4 front and rear. Caster is equal at about 4.5 I think. One side started at 8, thats why it wanted to dart into the ditch, and the cross weight was way off.
    It feels real good now.
    If you guys want to hear what the wind whistle sounds like with Shanes grill, you can hear it in the video. Not sure what I will do about that.
    I finally got the people at the DOL to find the right button to push, I have my plates!!! NO inspection, NO imissions, the only receipt I needed was the invoice from FFR. Love that lady
    Sounds fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Sounds fantastic!
    Thanks man

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gene,

Congratulations on an awesome build ,the car looks and sounds great!

I got my plates a couple of weeks ago and still working on a few details and issues. I used the same alignment settings as you just a little more caster and weight in at 2690 with low fuel same balance as well it felt very stable. I changed the ride height a 1/4"and doing hole shots and hitting the gears change the rear camber settings making the car very squarely not a good thing. The stock camber bolts don't hold well under extreme conditions. I had made a set of camber plates and was waiting to find the right set up before installing them, I set the front bump steer and need to do the rear bump steer before the final alignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine weighed again this past weekend. Came in at 2480 with about 8 galloons of fuel. I have minimal sound insulation (spray on from GTMatt) no wipers or motors, no door glass or power window motors and ultra light weight 18" wheels and tires. It had weighed in at 2247 when I first started to drive it (be it with about 1cup of gas in he tank at the grain scale, missing a few things like splitter, rockers, seat belts and the other stuff mentioned above) but I thought is was too low figuring others were coming in at 2600 +/- . The new weight of 2480lbs seems far more accurate, even if nearly 60lbs of that is the extra gas. Still happy I made it under 2500lbs, not so sure if I would with door glass and motors installed though. Still not sure why I am 200lbs lighter then you guys??
    Last edited by Kalstar; 06-24-2015 at 10:01 AM.

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    kick arse job Gene... I just saw your after alignment video.... I'm curious....is it just me, or is it maybe your speedometer needs recalibrating??? (cuz it "looked" to me like you were going wayyyyyy faster than the posted 25 & 35 MPH speed limits....) of course a GTM looks like it's going fast when it's sitting still...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikespms View Post
    Hey Gene,

Congratulations on an awesome build ,the car looks and sounds great!

I got my plates a couple of weeks ago and still working on a few details and issues. I used the same alignment settings as you just a little more caster and weight in at 2690 with low fuel same balance as well it felt very stable. I changed the ride height a 1/4"and doing hole shots and hitting the gears change the rear camber settings making the car very squarely not a good thing. The stock camber bolts don't hold well under extreme conditions. I had made a set of camber plates and was waiting to find the right set up before installing them, I set the front bump steer and need to do the rear bump steer before the final alignment.
    Thanks Mike, looks like we're going threw some of the same stuff. I still need to install the alignment plates I got from Crash, before it slips out of adjustment. And I plan on buying the bumpsteer tool to get that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    I had mine weighed again this past weekend. Came in at 2480 with about 8 galloons of fuel. I have minimal sound insulation (spray on from GTMatt) no wipers or motors, no door glass or power window motors and ultra light weight 18" wheels and tires. It had weighed in at 2247 when I first started to drive it (be it with about 1cup of gas in he tank at the grain scale, missing a few things like splitter, rockers, seat belts and the other stuff mentioned above) but I thought is was too low figuring others were coming in at 2600 +/- . The new weight of 2480lbs seems far more accurate, even if nearly 60lbs of that is the extra gas. Still happy I made it under 2500lbs, not so sure if I would with door glass and motors installed though. Still not sure why I am 200lbs lighter then you guys??
    200 lb.'s of interior, other than that I'm not sure what the difference would be. The dyno mat stuff I used, weighed a lot. I did add some weight. That puts me at about 1 hp for 5 lb.'s

Quote Originally Posted by Fugly_Old_Cowboy View Post
    kick arse job Gene... I just saw your after alignment video.... I'm curious....is it just me, or is it maybe your speedometer needs recalibrating??? (cuz it "looked" to me like you were going wayyyyyy faster than the posted 25 & 35 MPH speed limits....) of course a GTM looks like it's going fast when it's sitting still...
    I knew someone would see that. And yah, I'm still reading 0 on the speedo, so I'm good. Besides the Coyotes and Deer really don't care. Hell, 15 more miles into the woods and drinking and driving is still legal. I hear auto machine gun fire, in the woods. My neighbor rides his quad by my house with his AR on his back, I love where I live.
    Thanks man

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's nothing to worry about, Gene's car tops out at 34.99 MPH.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    There's nothing to worry about, Gene's car tops out at 34.99 MPH.
    But it gets there in 1.5 seconds!!!
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast