Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory Five GTM Supercar, fastthings video build log

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds great Gene....
    I can't believe YOU didn't tighten a hose clamp... so,,,, was the go-karting enough of a rush to get you past the paint funks???
    that's exactly why I am prone to staying away from the ISIS system... I can't seem to justify the "gizmo factor" over good old tried & true switches...
    looks like you will be on the finishing touches just about the time the weather is getting right for cruising....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gene looking good man. Great job even with your set backs

BTW: How does the Mendy shift/feel ?

Are you running traction control ?

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Spinning? Like I said Gene, NO $h1T Sherlock
    Well. you can't tell from the video. I was not suprised by tires spinning, I was suprised by how littltle throtle it took.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugly_Old_Cowboy View Post
    sounds great Gene....
    I can't believe YOU didn't tighten a hose clamp... so,,,, was the go-karting enough of a rush to get you past the paint funks???
    that's exactly why I am prone to staying away from the ISIS system... I can't seem to justify the "gizmo factor" over good old tried & true switches...
    looks like you will be on the finishing touches just about the time the weather is getting right for cruising....
    I can't believe it either. I'm so used to haveing trouble painting, it's a *****, and it will get REdone. Now the ISIS, what the hell, I don't know what happened to that. I am so glad I wired in a key. I sure hope it's done for the spring/summer. I have gone from one project to another for the last 10, 15 years. My family and friends are so used to me saying, no I can't I'm busy trying to get stuff done. I'm sick of it. I'm ready to play!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    Hey Gene looking good man. Great job even with your set backs

BTW: How does the Mendy shift/feel ?

Are you running traction control ?

Ron
    Thanks Ron,
    The Mendy feels right on the money. Very stiff at first, but I can tell it's working in. I hope I didn't make a mistake getting the 4:11's. I live right next to a track, and I won't be going 200 mph. I have the Race Logic, and I have not turned it on yet to play with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kempo View Post
    Very cool Gene. You are getting closer to the finish line.

Yes sir, so much closer. So close I can smell the perfume from the girls hanging off it,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Thanks Ron,
    The Mendy feels right on the money. Very stiff at first, but I can tell it's working in. I hope I didn't make a mistake getting the 4:11's. I live right next to a track, and I won't be going 200 mph. I have the Race Logic, and I have not turned it on yet to play with it.
    Loved the video, great to see you finally get to cart it. I'm really interested to see how the traction control works out, I've seen videos with examples and such, and I know there are a few GTM's with TC by Race Logic around, but I've not seen vids of them....pretty sure I'm not alone when I say I am excited to see it.

Keep a stiff upper lip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by posthaste View Post
    Loved the video, great to see you finally get to cart it. I'm really interested to see how the traction control works out, I've seen videos with examples and such, and I know there are a few GTM's with TC by Race Logic around, but I've not seen vids of them....pretty sure I'm not alone when I say I am excited to see it.

Keep a stiff upper lip.
    Thnaks man,
    I can't wait to start testing and adjusting the different systems, and you bet I will show it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Head down moving forward.

near the lil podunk town of Milano (about a hour northeast of Austin) {middle of NOWHERE}
    Post Thanks / Like
    hummmmmm I wonder if that paint demon ate Gene...... it's been a couple weeks since we last heard from him....

& you KNOW it's bad when my girlfriend ask why I have not been watching the latest & greatest "Gennie" vid....

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still alive. Video coming. Call your girl friend,LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    /makes popcorn, puts beer in fridge, calls Dad over.
    Can't wait haha

Post Thanks / Like

This is killing me, alot of work. I's not over till it's over. I won't know if I have to do it over until it's all done.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you going to get done

All kidding a side, it's looking real good there.

The GTM has one of the hardest, if not the most difficult bodies to paint. It may be small, but man it's got more curves, rolls, nooks and crannies than you can throw paint at.

Have to ask…..How many adult beverages did you have when you were painting, wet sanding, buffing

Keep up the good work, your almost at the finish line

Ron
    Last edited by Presto51; 04-02-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Grammer Correction

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Gene,

Love the black. I wasn't sure if that was a reflection in one part of your video. That's pretty close to perfect, I think! Looks like a lot of work. I have a couple of questions. Did you use a two stage rubbing compound/polish system? I saw one by Turtle that's supposed to be good. Also, are you using multi-stage grades of paper or just 1500 to cut? Did you use the glazing putty trick to cut down your runs? I heard you say it was very tedious to get them out without over sanding the surrounding area (like "dinosaur bone" extraction). I'm using lacquer for a check coat. Got the worst orange peel I've ever seen!!! Thanks and good luck with the polishing, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    When you going to get done

All kidding a side, it's looking real good there.

The GTM has one of the hardest, if not the most difficult bodies to paint. It may be small, but man it's got more curves, rolls, nooks and crannies than you can throw paint at.

Have to ask…..How many adult beverages did you have when you were painting, wet sanding, buffing

Keep up the good work, your almost at the finish line

Ron
    Ron,
    I'm a mess when I paint, run around like a chicken with it's head cutt off. The next day when my brain settled down I rembered my fan went out on the second coat. While I was in the middle of the coat I didn't realize what ws going on until I went back in to check, I couldn't see!! I ran the crap out of it. I had another fan, so that was good.

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Gene,

Love the black. I wasn't sure if that was a reflection in one part of your video. That's pretty close to perfect, I think! Looks like a lot of work. I have a couple of questions. Did you use a two stage rubbing compound/polish system? I saw one by Turtle that's supposed to be good. Also, are you using multi-stage grades of paper or just 1500 to cut? Did you use the glazing putty trick to cut down your runs? I heard you say it was very tedious to get them out without over sanding the surrounding area (like "dinosaur bone" extraction). I'm using lacquer for a check coat. Got the worst orange peel I've ever seen!!! Thanks and good luck with the polishing, WEK.
    I'm useing 1500 to cutt it down flat and then 2000 before I polish. Then I use a 3M rubbing compound to cut the scratchs and then a glaze polish to get rid of the swirl marks. Also useing different pads with the different compounds. I had lots of orange peel also, thats what I used for a guide coat for removing my runs. I used a real small file, it worked good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had lots of orange peel also, thats what I used for a guide coat for removing my runs. I used a real small file, it worked good.
    Now that "taking lemons and making lemonade!!!". Thanks, WEK.

Note: I'd love to see some of that detail work in a video, you know, in your spare time!
    Last edited by skullandbones; 04-02-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added comment
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron,
    I'm a mess when I paint, run around like a chicken with it's head cutt off. The next day when my brain settled down I rembered my fan went out on the second coat. While I was in the middle of the coat I didn't realize what ws going on until I went back in to check, I couldn't see!! I ran the crap out of it. I had another fan, so that was good.

Gene,

Don't worry about the runs in the paint. I usually tell people when they ask," How come you ran the S**t out of the paint and my answer is, " The runs are there to show that I care enough for the customer to apply more than his fair share of paint to his car" or "I like to give the customer more than what they paid for"

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to end the madness, painting is over, time to move on.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's looking damn good!!! I can hear it in a couple of months..."wasn't that bad really"

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would have come to the conclusion that I needed to call it "ok" knowing I would have to re-paint it a long time ago... I'd be toooooooooo anxious to get some shake down & track miles on mine... I am actually planning to put mine in a pretty heavy epoxy primer coat, get it out & put some miles on it... get the bugs worked out, turn some track laps & get as many of the "shake down nicks & scrapes" out of the way before I put the finish paint on her....

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene,

I love black. Its painfully hard to get a super perfect job, but boy it looks great.

I can see how well you perfected all the panels. The car is going to be a stunner!

Hey look at it this way. your paint is nicer then 99% of street cars out there. Only top quality show cars might be better. Trailer queens are nice, but the GTM needs to be driven! You have the perfect paint for the aplication.

I hope I can make my car look that nice some day.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If someone told me I would cause gouges in paint with 1500 paper on block I would have called them crazy but you explained it pretty well. Damn!!!

Thanks,

WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    It's looking damn good!!! I can hear it in a couple of months..."wasn't that bad really"
    So true, it's funny how time heals the pian.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugly_Old_Cowboy View Post
    I think I would have come to the conclusion that I needed to call it "ok" knowing I would have to re-paint it a long time ago... I'd be toooooooooo anxious to get some shake down & track miles on mine... I am actually planning to put mine in a pretty heavy epoxy primer coat, get it out & put some miles on it... get the bugs worked out, turn some track laps & get as many of the "shake down nicks & scrapes" out of the way before I put the finish paint on her....
    I kind of like it when I'm the first to put a scratch or dent in a new paint job, then I can quit worrying about someone else being the first.

Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Gene,

I love black. Its painfully hard to get a super perfect job, but boy it looks great.

I can see how well you perfected all the panels. The car is going to be a stunner!

Hey look at it this way. your paint is nicer then 99% of street cars out there. Only top quality show cars might be better. Trailer queens are nice, but the GTM needs to be driven! You have the perfect paint for the aplication.

I hope I can make my car look that nice some day.

John
    Thanks John, your car deserves a top notch paint job, knowing you, you will perfect that also.

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    If someone told me I would cause gouges in paint with 1500 paper on block I would have called them crazy but you explained it pretty well. Damn!!!

Thanks,

WEK.
    True, but keep in mind this is an exception not a rule. White, on the other hand will show nothing. Different colors will show more. And if I would have left some orange peel, 1500 would have been fine. But on black, sanded down that flat, it all shows.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots going on in life right now, so slow going on the GTM. But it is still in progress, looking at the dash area now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene, your car will be one fine automobile when you are finished. Wish I had the money so my boy and I could build this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn K View Post
    Gene, your car will be one fine automobile when you are finished. Wish I had the money so my boy and I could build this car.
    Thanks Shawn, the money part is tough. Good luck to you, and I hope the cards of life line up for you to get it done.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gene you're so close! I'm looking forward to seeing it driving in videos, and you with a big grin on your face. Thanks for documenting the process in such detail, it's something that helps people see what's involved with actually building a GTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, even I am amazed at the amount of work, and the time to do it. Just a few more little things to wrap up, the dash is the big one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still amazed on the amout of work, I had alot of film so I cut it into 2 vids.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gene,
    I watched your latest video and wanted to pass on some tips for your console project.

Covering the piece…. Unless you have some special tooling to form the material and accounted for the material thickness during the mold process, you will not be able to successfully cover the tablet pocket you’ve created. I would prep and paint that area or the entire piece. With your skills I’m sure it would turn our very nice.

Since you want to keep the tablet removable, you have to address how it will stay in the pocket until you are ready to remove it. Magnets! Scosche makes a nice magnetic mount that works well for this type of setup. http://www.scosche.com/mounts/mmsurface
    One removal option is to create a place, on the side of your pocket, for your finger to grip the side for removal of the tablet.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice tips, I saw guys using the magnets. I haven't got to the type of covering yet, but yes, I will need to allow tollerence for any thickness of material, also tucked in around the ISIS.

I had to get a different Tab, the Tab4 does not have MHL, I got the Tab pro 8.4, it does. I like it better anyway, but I will have to redo the cradle. I am also going to add a spot for RL controller, Audison remote controller, and the display/controller for the Passport 9500ci.

I like the finger spot idea to get the tab out, thanks.

* The tab has the metal for the magnet in kind of a strange spot for what I need, but I still may install one anyway, it would help.
    Last edited by fastthings; 05-29-2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: *

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene are we close to a full car to drive on the streets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn K View Post
    Gene are we close to a full car to drive on the streets?
    Not even Shawn, Summer is kind of slow for me on the build. Buisness travel, family, ballgames, lawn, but I still get some time in. I am setting up the wires for the radar, stereo, and a harness for all the stuff in the console. I'll get as much done as I can before I put the body on.

Post Thanks / Like
    hummmm.... I wonder if my girlfriend has gotten into the idea of me building a GTM or if she is just into Gene's videos....
    I started reading through the latest forum post just now, she looked over at me & says "you need to drop "GENNIE" a note to see what else he has gotten done, I haven't seen a new vid from him in like a month"...

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, I'll get on it. I was in Texas last week, went to Gillies. Woeking on the stereo, radar, and console.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, I'll get on it. I was in Texas last week, went to Gillies. Woeking on the stereo, radar, and console.
    Man you must have had a great time at Gillies

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you must have had a great time at Gillies

Ron
    It was funnier than stink. I was at a national convention and I got to watch people ride the bull and get a tatoo, that should not have.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was funnier than stink. I was at a national convention and I got to watch people ride the bull and get a tatoo, that should not have.
    So what's you new tat look like?
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast