Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Factory Five GTM Supercar, fastthings video build log

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    paint in your garage?! Isn't that risky? Don't you need a booth to filter the air and make sure dust and other things don't stick to the surface...
    It's a bit more complicated but it can be done. Mine was done in my garage as well and turned out really nice.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Iv'e painted at least 5 cars in that garage, including one that made it in a magazine. It should be fine. And yes the garage goes into quite a transformation when I turn it into a paint booth, and yes it's crowded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Iv'e painted at least 5 cars in that garage, including one that made it in a magazine. It should be fine. And yes the garage goes into quite a transformation when I turn it into a paint booth, and yes it's crowded.
    Would be great to show us the setup, how you move the air, how you cover the stuff etc.

Thanks, I have been watching this the whole time!
    GTM #253 In Process

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that would be nice. I would like to paint my miata myself. Do you think it would be possible to do custom work?

Post Thanks / Like
    *crickets chirping* Hello? It's too quiet in this thread!
    We the semi-fanatical followers of the FastThings GTM build log videos can't help but wonder how it's going
    I imagine there's some serious painting going on in a garage somewhere, and like everyone else on this board I can't wait to see how it's going along.
    It's almost like waiting for Christmas! Well fingers crossed for you Mean Gene, I'm sure most of the us are pretty excited for you. Into the home stretch now

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Gene,

When you "transform" the garage, do you drape everything that you don't want to paint or do you actually construct a booth? I have seen some with plastic temp walls. I've got a preliminary plan to hang plastic but it would be a real project in itself. Also, what do you do about the floor? I'm just getting to the body work on my roadster so I want to have this part figured out by the time I need to put some paint on it. Enjoyed your videos. Don't have time to see them all but I'm amazed at your attention to detail and patience! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    HI guys, no paint, yet. I will paint sometime later. I tape plastic to the ceiling and let it drape down. put in a few filters and a fan. I don't worry about the floor, it's already got paint on it.
    Here is #25
    http://youtu.be/2YQyY8cwvSM

Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/NebShP_qHjg

#26, had to mod the steering colum, pedals in

Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/Irspe2Hg-O0

got the motor in

Post Thanks / Like
    going with the ac/heat was a good idea. I am not sure how comparable Olympia weather is to Seattle but I remember a day when it alternated between sunny, rain, sleet and snow every few minutes. It was surreal. With the AC plenum relocated with Shane's kit do you still need to move the battery over to the left like it says in the manual?

I love your videos. They are giving me great ideas and it is making the body work less scary as the only experience with fiberglass I have is rebuilding and repairing boat hulls.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narkosys View Post
    going with the ac/heat was a good idea. I am not sure how comparable Olympia weather is to Seattle but I remember a day when it alternated between sunny, rain, sleet and snow every few minutes. It was surreal. With the AC plenum relocated with Shane's kit do you still need to move the battery over to the left like it says in the manual?

I love your videos. They are giving me great ideas and it is making the body work less scary as the only experience with fiberglass I have is rebuilding and repairing boat hulls.

P
    Thanks,
    looks like I will be able to put the battery in a good spot, wich will be more twards the middle. I haven't got all in yet to decide. I will be trying to get the biggest battery I can fit,

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer to have the battery more on the X as there is more support. If I can do that with Shane's kit (which is on my list) that is a bonus. Battery wise I am thinking an Optima battery made to fit a Z06 vette.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya well, if I have to go more tward the steering colum the battery will have to be really small, because of the colum. Getting it out in the center more should allow a more normal sized battery.

Hey Shane, the relocate worked out good, sorry for always messing up your name on my videos. Did you see what I did with the left over cover that came with the vintage air setup? It kinda complements your relocater.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/3Mg8eIZsBR8

I'm at the stage, that a lot have talked about. Taking a pause and letting my family know I'm alive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gene, you have an indescribable amount of restraint to put the project aside when you are so close to completion. I doubt I could do the same!

Congrats on getting to this point.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I'm back on it again. Got the brakes plumbed. I'm still in the middle of helping my boy on his Scirocco, so it will be back and forth for a while.

http://youtu.be/75x3oroEXx4

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I'm back on it again. Got the brakes plumbed. I'm still in the middle of helping my boy on his Scirocco, so it will be back and forth for a while.

http://youtu.be/75x3oroEXx4
    Woohoo!
    I'm addicted to your videos. I learned a lot just from watching them. I really like the idea of doing the bodywork first (and getting the messy stuff out of the way before the enthusiasm inevitably wanes!)

I'm going to be watching with interest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just watched it.
    I posted a reply earlier, but it didn't show up. I've learned a lot watching your videos, and I hope to apply it soon.

I really like the idea of doing the bodywork first (and getting the really messy stuff out of the way before enthusiasm for the project wanes!)
    I'm watching eagerly to see the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Taz, thanks for the kind words, good luck on your dream. I am slowly getting back into full swing on the GTM. My son and I almost have his Scirocco done. I'm at kind of a weird spot, trying to consider where everything will go, so it's hard to get anything done when your not sure where it will go, but I'll get it.

I love your signature, my buddy and I have had a conversation about that brfore.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/n_fTztybWrQ

Update..I'm starting to get rolling again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the videos

http://youtu.be/n_fTztybWrQ

Update..I'm starting to get rolling again.
    Love the videos and information very good stuff for me and my daughter, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, I'm haveng fun.

Enjoy your build, and thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/quBlpvbyaWA

Well, here is 31. Alot of figureing out in this part of the build. Searching for the best spot for things to set, and doing it so they will not interfear with the next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for your information, when I installed my short shifter I just drilled a very small hole in the shaft where you have to cut the factory keeper off. Then put in a carter pin. You can put washers behind the pin hole to get the correct tension. The shaft is soft so the hole is easy to drill. I don't have a picture. I think the hole was drilled with a #45 drill bit. Just get a small carter pin and measure the diameter and drill to fit. Just an idea!

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Don, that is a good idea. I have a Ace Hardware store in town that has 2 isles of every nut, bolt, clip, spring, spacer, bearing, retainer, you could ever think of. I love it, I've built 2 or 3 cars from those bins. so ya, Ill just grab another the next time I'm there.

I hear ya though, it's little tricks like that, that will get a project done instead of stuck.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice progress Gene. I really enjoy watching your videos keep them coming. Make sure the A/C compressor has oil in it. Adding the oil with the refrigerant on this cars can ruin the compressor as it will run dry for too long before the enough oil reaches the compressor. I wasn't able to see it that clearly on the video but it seems you are missing the idler pulley for the compressor belt. You should have the tensioner on the lower side and the idler on top. That might be the reason why your belt is not fitting correctly.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Kempos right make sure the A/C compressor has oil putting it in after really sucks I learned the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you guys brought that up, I have been wondering. I bought a remaned pump. It came with 2 ounces of oil in it, is that good? The manual says the system needs 8 ounces. So am I good to go, just add an additional 6 ounces after the evac?

Now the idler, on my LS2 it has no idler, just the tensioner. When I researched the difference between the LS1 and the LS2 pumps I wasn't sure if the 1 pump would fit on the 2 mounting bracket, it does. The only difference on the LS2 mounting bracket is the idler is deleted, so I think I'm ok to run it without the idler.

Kempo, did the LS3 come with a LS2 pump, did you switch to the LS1 pump. The bracket that came on the LS3 must have the idler, I assume, otherwise you wouldn't be wondering if I am misssing it.

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1922.JPG

I have the LS3 crate engine with LS1 bracket.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you guys brought that up, I have been wondering. I bought a remaned pump. It came with 2 ounces of oil in it, is that good? The manual says the system needs 8 ounces. So am I good to go, just add an additional 6 ounces after the evac?

Now the idler, on my LS2 it has no idler, just the tensioner. When I researched the difference between the LS1 and the LS2 pumps I wasn't sure if the 1 pump would fit on the 2 mounting bracket, it does. The only difference on the LS2 mounting bracket is the idler is deleted, so I think I'm ok to run it without the idler.

Kempo, did the LS3 come with a LS2 pump, did you switch to the LS1 pump. The bracket that came on the LS3 must have the idler, I assume, otherwise you wouldn't be wondering if I am misssing it.

What do you guys think?
    Gene, I think 2 ounces should work and be enough for that first start until the rest circulates with the refrigerant. just in case double check with someone that works on A/C systems on a daily basis to make sure.

I checked some belt routing diagrams and seems like you are good to go. on LS 2 and 3 models they only show the idler pulley on the A/c belt. On my car I have the LS1 set up with the LS1 bracket,compressor,tensioner,idler and belt like the one on Edgeman's picture.

The catalog shows the belt number for the LS2 as a gates number K040410. This means 4 ribs and 41.0 inches in length. Use a wire or something like that and route it around the compressor and engine damper and measure it. This should give you an idea if that 41 inches is the correct one for your set up.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    OK good, thanks you guys.

Your 2nd paragragh states on the LS2,3 there is only the idler, I think you ment tensioner only, Right?

*My plan is to get the engine running with the belt off, and then hook it up prior to the evac and charge as to keep the pump from running dry.
    Last edited by fastthings; 01-03-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: *

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct I meant tensioner.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    For the best luck with the compressor you should really fill it with the correct amount of oil once you are ready to mount it for the last time and rotate it by hand multiple times with the pulley end down a little to be sure that you get the back side of the seal well lubricated. It may not show a problem right away but it could easily shorten the seal life. You need to keep the system closed as much as possible after putting the oil in the compressor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MGDBuddy View Post
    For the best luck with the compressor you should really fill it with the correct amount of oil once you are ready to mount it for the last time and rotate it by hand multiple times with the pulley end down a little to be sure that you get the back side of the seal well lubricated. It may not show a problem right away but it could easily shorten the seal life. You need to keep the system closed as much as possible after putting the oil in the compressor.
    But, your'e not saying how much. The directions I have say to rotate 14 times, and came with the 2 ounces in the comp. They also say you must replace the orifice and the dryer. And for certian manufactures, like Honda, you must replace the condensor. Certianly your not recomending to put the full 8 ounces in the comp?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK good, thanks you guys.

Your 2nd paragragh states on the LS2,3 there is only the idler, I think you ment tensioner only, Right?

*My plan is to get the engine running with the belt off, and then hook it up prior to the evac and charge as to keep the pump from running dry.

the compressor won't turn unless you apply power to the electric clutch. leave the plug disconnected if you are not sure and it won't turn.
    GTM #253 In Process

Post Thanks / Like

A/C Oil

Kempo,
    Here are the instructions I have for the Oil in the A/C components.

8 ounces total system charge. You will want to split that oil up between 2 or 3 components. A few ounces in the compressor (there’s a bolt on the side of the body of the compressor; pour it in there to get directly to the crankcase), a couple in the accumulator, and the rest in the condenser, and you’ll be good to go.

Steve

But, your'e not saying how much. The directions I have say to rotate 14 times, and came with the 2 ounces in the comp. They also say you must replace the orifice and the dryer. And for certian manufactures, like Honda, you must replace the condensor. Certianly your not recomending to put the full 8 ounces in the comp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry.... Info should have been for fastthings.

Quote Originally Posted by sressue View Post
    Kempo,
    Here are the instructions I have for the Oil in the A/C components.

8 ounces total system charge. You will want to split that oil up between 2 or 3 components. A few ounces in the compressor (there’s a bolt on the side of the body of the compressor; pour it in there to get directly to the crankcase), a couple in the accumulator, and the rest in the condenser, and you’ll be good to go.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    With every compressor I install (automotive), I first add all the recomended oil to the compressor first, It was said that 8 ozs was called for. I would add the 8 oz of oil, I normally rotate the compressor at least 30 times ( full turns), after closing the system. Even though some new freons say that you do not have to run a vacuum the system is still very sensitive to moisture and it will still preform better if charged after a good vacuum is pulled on the system. All though the oil does migrate throughout the system when it is running it is still best to load all oil in the compressor to start with. Although oil can be put in other locations in the system, it can cause a momentary dry state in the compressor during start-up, not dry enough to kill the compressor right off but enough to shorten the life of the unit, it also has the possibility of overloading the orfice with oil in a surge and possibly creating high enough pressure to blow a seal. These cases do not happen everytime , but they do happen. Just passing on info learned over time and from training as well as attending several refrigeration/ ac siminars and over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, thanks for the help guys.

Mendo, I realized that on the way to work as my mind was wondering, thanks.

OK, 1 more. The supplied preasure switch fits on a fitting up front by the condensor. The FF manual says to put the Corvette donar preasure switch in the line at the tunnel near the pump. I don't have one, do I need one at that location. Not sure what it is, or what it does. The two locations have a different thread size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice, thanks for the help guys.

Mendo, I realized that on the way to work as my mind was wondering, thanks.

OK, 1 more. The supplied preasure switch fits on a fitting up front by the condensor. The FF manual says to put the Corvette donar preasure switch in the line at the tunnel near the pump. I don't have one, do I need one at that location. Not sure what it is, or what it does. The two locations have a different thread size.
    Gene,

The location on the AC lines (Compressor Side in the tunnel) is where the pressure switch will be installed. The donor pressure switch should be used if you're using the stock PCM and the trianry (VA supplied swt) if you're using a stand-a-lone.

Unless there's something unique about your lines, the only fittings up front are the high and low pressure service ports.

You can get the VA GenIV and trianry wiring diagrams on the VA website. I tried to upload them here but it appears they are too large.

HTHs.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast