FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lower Priced Options for Front Splitter and Side Skirts

Post Thanks / Like

Lower Priced Options for Front Splitter and Side Skirts

It has been discussed that many of you guys are looking for options for something more reasonably priced than the cf GTM options that FFR has available. I would argee that investing $800 on parts that are going to be riding less than 4.5" off the ground can be a bit tough to swallow. As many of you know, I now have my CNC Plasma table up and running now, and I think I can provide a great solution for these products. I'll post the same pics I have in the other thread, so you can see what I've put on other cars:

The red GTM has the FFR side skirts on, and a flat 2-D cf front splitter. The yellow and orangish GTMs have a flat 2-D fiberglass front splitter that I made here....just cut out of a flat sheet of fg.

If there is enough interest, I can produce these parts from .080" aluminum for a fraction of the cost of the FFR pieces. There are also some great benefits to the parts I will make. For the front splitter, I will cut it so that the "half-moon" nose aluminum piece that FFR provides (and will not fit/clear the AC condenser or hinges without modifications) will no longer be needed, and my splitter design will extend back to where the half-moon normally would, and will also include the cut-out for clearance of the AC condenser with the hood open, and clear the hood hinges. Another benefit is that it will not hang down as far as the FFR splitter.....and in the front of the nose, every little bit of clearance helps!

For the side skirts, probably the biggest advantage to using aluminum would be that you won't have to worry about rocks thrown up from the front tires beating them to death and "spider cracking" thru to the top side where the cracks would be visible.

Price for the Front Splitter OR pair of Side Skirts will be $125 + shipping for bare aluminum (you can paint/powdercoat or CF wrap as you like), or $150 black powdercoated.

It does sound like there will be enough interest in this, so I will see if I can get these parts drawn up in the next few days. Once I get them drawn up, I should be able to have these available within the next couple of weeks. Please let me know if you'd be intersted in these. Thanks!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane, I already have the FF cf splitter and skirts. I like them a lot. However I would love to see a deeper splitter made of aluminum. Would be great for the track but not for the street of course. Do you think you can form the gull wing bend in the splitter to match the gen 2 body profile?
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Shane, I already have the FF cf splitter and skirts. I like them a lot. However I would love to see a deeper splitter made of aluminum. Would be great for the track but not for the street of course. Do you think you can form the gull wing bend in the splitter to match the gen 2 body profile?
    If we go much deeper, I'd probably need to go with thicker material. I can do this if there is a demand for it.

No, I don't think I can form the alum for the Gen II. With that said, I think the splitter I've drawn up for the Gen I would look great on the Gen II and let it span across....creating a second small opening with a couple of short spacers in there, like FFR did with the rear diffuser. Just looked at the Gen II I have here in the shop, and honestly, I think it would look pretty trick! This may be the hot ticket, as it sounds as if FFR is still sending out the Gen I "half-moon" with the gen II kits.....and it is NOT going to fit the Gen II hood. So with this, you get a part that fits, gives a cool look and takes care of an area that I don't think FFR has a solution for yet.

Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC;21731]If we go much deeper, I'd probably need to go with thicker material. I can do this if there is a demand for it.

No, I don't think I can form the alum for the Gen II. With that said, I think the splitter I've drawn up for the Gen I would look great on the Gen II and let it span across....creating a second small opening with a couple of short spacers in there, like FFR did with the rear diffuser. Just looked at the Gen II I have here in the shop, and honestly, I think it would look pretty trick! This may be the hot ticket, as it sounds as if FFR is still sending out the Gen I "half-moon" with the gen II kits.....and it is NOT going to fit the Gen II hood. So with this, you get a part that fits, gives a cool look and takes care of an area that I don't think FFR has a solution for yet.

Shane,
    My splitter has the contours to match the Gen2 nose. Would I be able to add your splitter below my cf splitter and add some spacers between it and the cf one? Maybe a thinner one? I really like your design spanning the entire space and cut for condenser clearance. It would also add some protection.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it seems I should have investigated this a bit farther before I posted this. FFR has some issues with me offering these products. I guess I offered these based on the "facts" in my own head....that these products did not really "compete" with FFR's carbon-fiber offerings as the guys who wanted the cf parts were going to buy the cf parts regardless of cost, and the guys buying my parts probably had no intentions of buying the cf parts due to "cost vs. risk" of the parts being road-damaged. I would also swear that back in early winter I thought FFR had a "close-out" sale on the last 4 cf Gen I front splitters that were going to be available......and I bought one of those last 4 splitters for one of my customers cars.......so since my splitter was intended to be a Gen I splitter (I had not even considered using it on a Gen II until the question came up here) I didn't think it would be interferring with what FFR was offering......but I see on FFR's website that they are still offering a Gen I splitter.

So what does all of this mean? I guess it means that I'm not going to be producing anymore of these. I already have parts cut, and I will sell these to the guys who already expressed interest here, and after that, I will no longer offer these parts. If you already expressed interest in these parts please shoot me an email to the email address on my website under the "contacts" tab and I'll get your order taken care of. Thanks to everyone for their understanding.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And why can't you sell these,,,,,,,your a supporting vender, competition is the American waY.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm suprised that they care. They make side scoops. Other vendors offer side scoops don't they. I would think that you should be able to make any part for the any of their cars as long as its not a exact one off of something they sell. I'm not trying to be ugly as I'm working on my second Factory Five car now but the Cobra, GTM, and the 65 coupe are not their design. Those are just changed to make sure that they are not a direct copy. I do however see you not wanting to step on any toes.

Junior Member Waiting4Kids2Bgone's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMKris View Post
    but the Cobra, GTM, and the 65 coupe are not their design.
    I thought the GTM was a fresh design that Jim S. came up with. The Roadster and Coupe, no questions. BTW, I don't disagree with the notion that competition is a good thing and they should not care.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That came from me and I think I made a mistake here. The charter of the forum was community first. Truth is that we earn much of our living on options as the cost of base kits barely pays the rent. There have been guys in the past who have taken an FFR part and copied it 100 percent, that is not the case here and I was wrong on this and there is no reason why Shane should cut this off.

This forum exists because the other forum was sold and the critical vendors who DEFINE the FFR community were facing huge increases in advertising costs from a relatively large company who did not understand the nature of the FFR community. Every decision on this Forum MUST always go back to what is best for the community and what is best for the community is Shane making these great parts and continuing to help people as he has for 5 years.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    That came from me and I think I made a mistake here. The charter of the forum was community first. Truth is that we earn much of our living on options as the cost of base kits barely pays the rent. There have been guys in the past who have taken an FFR part and copied it 100 percent, that is not the case here and I was wrong on this and there is no reason why Shane should cut this off.

This forum exists because the other forum was sold and the critical vendors who DEFINE the FFR community were facing huge increases in advertising costs from a relatively large company who did not understand the nature of the FFR community. Every decision on this Forum MUST always go back to what is best for the community and what is best for the community is Shane making these great parts and continuing to help people as he has for 5 years.
    That is logical, well presented and true. Another reason for me to buy a GTM kit shortly. Way to go Dave!

Post Thanks / Like
    You Sir, are a class act! Sadly usual in these times.
    Ciao,

Joel

Working ever so slowly on GTM #269, Twin Turbo SBC, Ricardo, Kit arrived April 5, 2009

http://photobucket.com/JCHRacer_GTM_Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHRacer View Post
    I have to agree. I too, have a ton of respect for Dave, and truly feel that he is a "stand up" guy.

Good call Dave!

And by-the-way... What heck are you doing answering forum mail at 4 am? Making an early run to the coast to catch a few sets this morning before your drive into Wareham?

See you at the Open House this weekend!

Hang Ten Dude
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCHRacer View Post
    I too agree. A company with a president of your carring is extremely rare. It makes me feel, even the more, better about my GTM Kit purchase. keep doing what you do Dave and thank you.
    Last edited by VD2021; 06-07-2011 at 08:00 AM. Reason: typo
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    A very appropriate repeal of a decision. Thanks Dave.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know what to say here........Dave is a great guy. I feel stupid for not doing a bit more homework on this before I opened up this can of worms.......I honestly thought FFR discontinued the Gen I splitter and should have "looked before I leaped". Once again, my goal here was not to steal business from FFR....it was to fill a void in the market here. My aluminum parts are going to look nice, but they are never going to have 3-D "depth" and true CF look of the FFR parts.....and my feeling was that the guys who wanted that look and had the $$ were still going to buy the CF parts regardless of what I offered.......and I hope that remains true.

My apologies to Dave for "lost sleep and mental grief". :-) You're a good man.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Hugs all around!
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Don't know what to say here........Dave is a great guy. I feel stupid for not doing a bit more homework on this before I opened up this can of worms.......I honestly thought FFR discontinued the Gen I splitter and should have "looked before I leaped". Once again, my goal here was not to steal business from FFR....it was to fill a void in the market here. My aluminum parts are going to look nice, but they are never going to have 3-D "depth" and true CF look of the FFR parts.....and my feeling was that the guys who wanted that look and had the $$ were still going to buy the CF parts regardless of what I offered.......and I hope that remains true.

I second those thoughts. That's why I had offered up my CF splitter for reproduction. I got it at a discount from FFR because it was being "discontinued".......I didn't think FFR was making them anymore.....in CF or Fiberglass. So with this decision, there is choice in the marketplace.....all good.
    Ciao,

Joel

Working ever so slowly on GTM #269, Twin Turbo SBC, Ricardo, Kit arrived April 5, 2009

http://photobucket.com/JCHRacer_GTM_Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post

I ordered the set (splitter and rocker extensions) a month or so ago. When I did, I was told that they had the rocker extensions in stock, but that they would have to make the splitter. So I guess they make the Gen I splitters on an as needed basis, but they do still offer them for sale.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    While walking around at the Open House, I spied a Splitter and set of Rocker extensions. I took a closer look and saw that the Splitter was being sold for $99.00, and the rockers were $49.00 for the pair. A savings of 650.00 on the set. They sat there for a while. Since I've already bought a set (at full price), I didn't really jump at the deal thinking that someone was going to get a great deal on them.

When I came back by an hour or more later, they were still there, and I couldn't believe that no one had scooped them up. So what else could I do?

I picked up the set for $148.00, and had them shipped to my home in NC. So I'll now have an extra set, for when mine get broken.
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-16-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    So what else could I do?

I picked up the set for $148.00, and had them shipped to my home in NC. So I'll now have an extra set, for when mine get broken.
    Lucky b@stard!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Lucky b@stard!
    LOL!!! Tell me about it. I was just in the right place at the right time, for once. Dave Smith and crew, really go out of their way to make it worth your while to attend the Open House. There were parts for all of the FFR models for sale dirt cheap. When I saw the Splitter set at that price, I looked around for an extra oil cooler set up for the GTM, but didn't see one. It was probably there somewhere though... They had A LOT of Parts for sale.

Sorry Shane. I don't mean to take any focus away from your Splitters.
    Last edited by The Stig; 06-16-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    If I break mine I'll order Shane's and wrap em with that pretty 3m carbon fiber wrap stuff. No one would be the wiser

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some guys asking me about using this splitter with the Gen II hood. I mocked that up today for you to see. Sorry, but the splitter is still raw alum, so you will have to use your imagination a bit and imagine the car is painted and the splitter is black.

Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC