FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Let me introduce myself

Post Thanks / Like

Let me introduce myself

Hello everyone,
    I'm another stalker, Ive been watching you all for almost a year now, well at least since it ws put up. Learning lots from you all.
    I'm 44, married, 2 kids, 4 grandkids. Most of my working life I spent being a bodyman, doing collision work, now I am a hearing aid guy. Went from holes in my jeans, unshaven, to wearing a white shirt and tie. Now I get to work on cars for fun, not a pay check.
    Looking forward to building this car. I love building cars, and this one just may complete a dream. I have always wanted a supercar, (don't we all).

I have started the build, and will video the progress. Please, don't be afraid to point out anything you all may see wrong.

The video's are a good way for me to share with family and friends, and also I enjoy the interaction on the forum.

I love "fastthings"

Gene

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll find an incredible group of folks here that are always willing to help. To complete your research, make sure you check out the other forum at ffcars.com too. There is an incredible treasure trove of information there.
    Last edited by ArtGirl; 10-17-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: wrong url

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Welcome!!
    Hi Riptide m,
    looks like I love, you, after seeing the list of all your fastthings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtGirl View Post
    You'll find an incredible group of folks here that are always willing to help. To complete your research, make sure you check out the other forum at ffcars.com too. There is an incredible treasure trove of information there.
    Thanks, Artgirl
    LIke I said I have been lurking quietly for quite a while now, and have been there also.
    I enjoy your well thought out reponses you give on some of the threads.

What kind of car are you building? Do I have it right that you do not have a GTM, yet, and currently building a different car?

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yea....I'm a lucky guy! And I've got a good woman, lifes good right now........Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gene,
    Welcome to the other forum. You're becoming quite the director. One can tell you've a lot of experience in the car world.

I noticed your RC planes hanging from your ceiling. I started in RC Cars when I was in the 8th grade and moved to planes in high school. It's where I became fascinated with flight and aviation. I moved to RC helis and the last one I owned was a Raptor 50. I sold it while I was still in Hawaii because It seemed I was either deployed or in another country on an exercise.

I was an active duty Marine Corps Officer and Naval Aviator until last summer (almost 12 years now). Now I am a Major in the Reserves and an electrical engineer for the DON.

I noticed you trimmed the body in front of the door in the area that requires a larger gap in order for the door to open. From your years of body experience what are you considering doing in this area? I ask because I'm in the "body work" stage. I trimmed the door to get the clearance. The passenger side is perfect with a nice 1/4" that flows to 3/16" as it rises. However I had to make, what to me is a huge gap on the driver's side. I'm thinking that I need to add some thickness to the area (main body) in front of the gap and then remove some material from the inside of it. Then close the gap on the door to match the passenger side so that the door has the clearance to go inside of the body there as it opens...? Good or bad idea?
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard, Gene. I wish you the best of luck with your build!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Gene,
    Welcome to the other forum. You're becoming quite the director. One can tell you've a lot of experience in the car world.

I noticed your RC planes hanging from your ceiling. I started in RC Cars when I was in the 8th grade and moved to planes in high school. It's where I became fascinated with flight and aviation. I moved to RC helis and the last one I owned was a Raptor 50. I sold it while I was still in Hawaii because It seemed I was either deployed or in another country on an exercise.

I was an active duty Marine Corps Officer and Naval Aviator until last summer (almost 12 years now). Now I am a Major in the Reserves and an electrical engineer for the DON.

I noticed you trimmed the body in front of the door in the area that requires a larger gap in order for the door to open. From your years of body experience what are you considering doing in this area? I ask because I'm in the "body work" stage. I trimmed the door to get the clearance. The passenger side is perfect with a nice 1/4" that flows to 3/16" as it rises. However I had to make, what to me is a huge gap on the driver's side. I'm thinking that I need to add some thickness to the area (main body) in front of the gap and then remove some material from the inside of it. Then close the gap on the door to match the passenger side so that the door has the clearance to go inside of the body there as it opens...? Good or bad idea?
    Hi VD2021,

Does "VD2021" was ave any meaning? My love of building started in grade school building lots of plastic car models, my first balsa wood plane was built in 4th grade, it was called Lancer, incase someone else would remember.
    I love to build the planes, and very scared to fly them, or should I say scared to crash them. I also have followed around a starter heli, that is so hard, what a skill, if you are able to do free flight, I can not.

As far as the door gap, I am about to put on the hood, that will help clear up what I will need to do. How can I explain this, at the location we are talking about I want the body section that is under the hood to be on the same plain as the door, like the rest of the lower part is. I will add material to the top of the door to bring it out to match the body, and will add material to the body on the lower part. Then concave the inside to allow the opening of the door. The hood also has to meet up with it all. Very hard for me to explain, mainly cause I haven't done it yet. I think we are on the same page as far as the vision of what needs to be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Welcome aboard, Gene. I wish you the best of luck with your build!
    Hello Shane,

I wish I was you, building cool cars for a living, love it. I have seen your finnished products, nice!

For you, and others, please feel free to question the things I do. I do not want to go threw this build with my blinders on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Hi VD2021,

Does "VD2021" was ave any meaning? My love of building started in grade school building lots of plastic car models, my first balsa wood plane was built in 4th grade, it was called Lancer, incase someone else would remember.
    I love to build the planes, and very scared to fly them, or should I say scared to crash them. I also have followed around a starter heli, that is so hard, what a skill, if you are able to do free flight, I can not.

As far as the door gap, I am about to put on the hood, that will help clear up what I will need to do. How can I explain this, at the location we are talking about I want the body section that is under the hood to be on the same plain as the door, like the rest of the lower part is. I will add material to the top of the door to bring it out to match the body, and will add material to the body on the lower part. Then concave the inside to allow the opening of the door. The hood also has to meet up with it all. Very hard for me to explain, mainly cause I haven't done it yet. I think we are on the same page as far as the vision of what needs to be done.
    Gene,
    My initials are "VD" and the numbers are just a random set. VD was the call sign I had for a while.

If I was looking to have a relaxing time at the field I would bring a 40 sized high wing I built using corrugated plastic. If I crashed it I'd just repair it or build another fuse or wing. You really only need to pay attention during landings, right. Otherwise the Raptor 50 was exciting to fly and for me bringing it back to the deck was easier than with the fixed wing. I have plans of getting one of the small electric helis. They're harder to fly, but a 1/4 of the cost to get into and repair when needed.

Good stuff on the hatch. I have mine in place with the corvette latch, but haven't fine adjusted it yet. I'll be applying some of your techniques when I do. I look forward to your next video. Keep them coming.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .