Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Audi a 6 - 6 speed gearbox.

Post Thanks / Like

Audi a 6 - 6 speed gearbox.

Hi to all

has anyone tried to fit a gm crate engine to the audi 6 speed trans , these are used on lambo kits.

Thanks ...mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems to be a pretty popular option to the gt-40 crowd . The biggest drawback is the torque rating of the transaxle. Might be ok for a bone stock ls-1 but definately wouldnt use if for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to Stan or Scott at Gbox - maybe Eric (cms) can help answer also - I'm running a gbox built audi tdi diesel (case) with upraded internals, 6 spd geared, rem -micro polished and cryotreated, os gekken lsd, quartermaster 7.25 carbob/carbon clutch. So far have only go karted it and it is awesome - ( prepping for paint now) - hope to have it out for a track day soon. I'm running about 600 hp and about that in torque - the trans should easily handle that - not sure how it would do with some of these ultra high hp cars though. For those , you better be prepared to open your wallet at lot wider!!! Basically , there really aren't any bone stock transaxles that will reliably hold up to much abuse when running higher hp/ tq numbers. The stock units with a stock ls motor , driven with care, will do ok for most , but if you have a heavy foot, really push the car, you'll more than likely end up with some pricey repairs, or limited trans life. hth

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to Scott at Advanced Automotion about the Audi transaxles. He sells them and has parts too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the info ...Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of curiosity, What transaxle does the R8 use? It's a mid-engine layout, like the GTM. And handles a good bit of torque. If I were going with an Audi gear box, I'd probably look at a box that was designed to be used in the same way that I intend to use it. The Audi A6 is a nice car, but it's not a high horsepower ground-pounder. S6 maybe... But not the A6. I'd be curious to know the price compared to the Mendeola 6 spd, Ricardo 6 spd, or Porsche G96/96. I wonder if Roger Brown and Erik Johnson work with these at California Motorsports?
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Out of curiosity, What transaxle does the R8 use? It's a mid-engine layout, like the GTM. And handles a good bit of torque. If I were going with an Audi gear box, I'd probably look at a box that was designed to be used in the same way that I intend to use it. The Audi A6 is a nice car, but it's not a high horsepower ground-pounder. S6 maybe... But not the A6. I'd be curious to know the price compared to the Mendeola 6 spd, Ricardo 6 spd, or Porsche G96/96. I wonder if Roger Brown and Erik Johnson work with these at California Motorsports?
    http://www.oerlikon.com/ecomaXL/inde...e_transmission

The r8 uses the Lamborghini unit. It would be cool to try a v10 or v12 in a GTM but something tells me it would be more trouble then it's worth. The world is your oyster at that price point. For 25k there are plenty of transaxles for the GTM.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    http://www.oerlikon.com/ecomaXL/inde...e_transmission

The r8 uses the Lamborghini unit. It would be cool to try a v10 or v12 in a GTM but something tells me it would be more trouble then it's worth. The world is your oyster at that price point. For 25k there are plenty of transaxles for the GTM.
    That's true. I had completely forgotten that the Gallardo and the R8 are "cousins". And you're right; at that price point, it wouldn't make sense to use in the GTM. With that said, I still don't know that I would use a straight A6 transaxle. I did take a few minutes to go to the web site mentioned above, and from what I read, their upgrades allow for up to 800 horse power. If that's so, then I would imagine it would work well in the GTM as long as the shipped price makes sense.

Do these boxes have a starter "pocket" mount that would work with the LSx style engines?
    And Also, is there currently an adapter plate on the market that allows the LSx engines and the Audi gearboxes to be used together?
    What clutch would you use?
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I make the adapters to use the Audi transaxles with the LS series engines. PM me for details.