Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering options?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Power Steering options?

I'm looking for some recommendations on Rack and Pinion Steering. Would prefer to go power steering option and I have the bump steer kit from FFR so not sure if this limits the options I can get from a donor? Is 94-95 any better than earlier versions?

cheers

Howie

Post Thanks / Like
    The only advantage to using the later SN95 rack is if you already have it. Otherwise it will require you to purchase a $70 adapter to mate it with the kit supplied steering shaft.

Many of us simply use a rebuilt Fox Mustang rack from Autozone:

#6406; 3.0 turns lock to lock
    #6439; 2.5 turns lock to lock
    #64163 2.25 turns lock to lock

They are all right around $100 and the base kit includes the proper adapter for joining the rack to steering shaft. That answer will now probably bring the question of "which ratio?" IMHO if you are doing street only, or even just an occasional autocross/ track run for giggles you might be happiest with the 3.0 turn rack. I recently completed a Mk4 using a 3.0 rack which is a street cruiser and for that type of use I think it is ideal; responsive but relaxed if that makes sense. I have the fast 2.25 rack in my Mk3 and love it but I do a lot of auto-x and track time with it. It is go cart quick and changes direction like a cat on carpet. I'm completely comfortable with it however some people who have built with that ratio feel that it's too fast. As an aside, after driving them back to back it is surprising how much the two different racks change the whole personality of the cars---not that one is good or bad, just different. You need to weigh your anticipated use of the car when deciding.

The kit will also include rack extenders. Use those and chances are that a bump steer correction kit will not be necessary. You really won't know until you can measure it after the front suspension is assembled and has a rough baseline alignment.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    (update) This bracket is for the Coyote engine. I've been sell P/S kits for years.

I have a power steering pump kit that will be finished in a few days. It will feature a belt tensioner versus a turnbuckle adjuster. I'll post pictures soon.
    Mike
    Last edited by mike forte; 10-21-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: update

Post Thanks / Like
    A power steering rack from 1987-1993 would be better. The 1994-2004 power steering racks require the 1994-2004 steering components. That steering components includes a different rack adapter and the inner and out tie rods from an older model steering rack. It is better to just start with the older rack and save yourself $140.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Howie,
    I sell the P/S rack and P/S pumps and brackets. My post above was for the Coyote P/S installation which is waiting to test fit in a chassis.
    Mike Forte

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff or anyone,
    I have the #6406 Autozone power rack for my application. My question is how do you get the inner tie rods off? I've been struggling for awhile now and don't want to break something but I wanted/needed to get them off to install the extenders and cut down the inner tie rods. Does anyone know if Autozone uses pins holding it together? Brian Z from FFR says to just use vise grips but that doesn't stop the whole shaft from twisting. Many thanx.
    Regards,
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy,

I just installed the rack extenders on the 64163 AZ rack. It sounds to me like you are spinning the inner tie rod outside of the ball joint in the bellow. You need to turn the large nut just inboard of that. I don't know the exact size(over an inch)I used an adjustable wrench. The rack will not spin inside the housing. Mine had no pins, but did have thread locker holding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a modified image from the manual showing the rack extender installed.

Click to enlarge.

Rack.JPG

HTH
    Last edited by J.D.; 10-29-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    Thanx for the info. I guess I jusrt wasn't using a big enogh wrench. An 18" cresent with a pair of size 10 boots and a couple of beer to congragulate myself and the job is done. Many thanx everyone.
    Regards,
    Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All, I am building a base kit. I am planning on using the 3.0 system from autozone. I plan on using a manual set-up. Question will the 6406 part have lines or no lines on the steering unit? I was thinking that the manual would not have lines, however, I see the autozone picture with lines. Help Please

Post Thanks / Like
    The manual rack as sold by FFR is perfect not to light or touchy at speed and hardly any effort parking.
    FFR 7216 MK 4 Non Donor Street Legal 06/13/11 at 4:30 pm! Graduation 1/1/2012
    3 Link Ford Racing 3.73 8.8 Posi with Yukon Axles.
    4 wheel discs Brembo rotors and Hawk HP plus pads.
    Ford Racing 302 340 HP T5Z 5 Speed Stainless Headers and Side Pipes.
    Holley 670 Street Avenger on Edelbrock Performer RPM. MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
    Delivered 04/11/10 7:30 pm Roller 05/08/10 Engine installed 08/07/10 First Start 02/19/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kcarbon View Post
    The manual rack as sold by FFR is perfect not to light or touchy at speed and hardly any effort parking.
    I expect the FFR rack is similar to the manual, Flaming River one, I am using. No issues at all, easy to install, tidy looking, and lightweight. I wouldn't play around with de-powering a donor rack. It's really not that big an investment to purchase a new one, if you look at the big picture..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kcarbon View Post
    I agree. Their rack works fine. While driving down the road it's fine. While parking, as long as you're moving even a little it's also manageable. But power steering does allow use of more castor, which is supposed to help provide more directional stability. But my Mk3 drives fine with manual steering and 3 degrees of castor.

One word of caution -- I can't speak for all (Flaming River, what's sold at AutoZone, etc.) but the manual rack sold by FFR is a custom unit from Unisteer. This rack has wider pivot points on the inner tie rods than a stock Mustang rack, to change front end geometry and reduce bump steer. Multiple factors affect bump steer, but lots of threads on the other forum about how this rack can improve most setups. As I understand this mod was developed by several forum members, and FFR made it standard sometime in the Mk3.0 to Mk3.1 timeframe, and is now also used on the Mk4. As I also understand, this same effect (wider pivot points) can also be achieved with adapters but I don't have any experience with this.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-31-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.