FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help : parking brake removal from rear drum

Post Thanks / Like

Help : parking brake removal from rear drum

OK guys, getting close to being done on this donor tear down project. Just the rear end and gas tank remain. The rear end is ready to come out, I've got all but 2 bolts out and a jack in place. What I am focused on now are the rear brake lines and parking brake feeding into the rear drum. I've successfully removed the rear drum and easily dislodged the parking brake cable from the "hook" inside the brake assembly. Now I'm trying to remove the cable from the drum assembly.

Question : How do you remove the cable?

Looks like there is a locking claw of some kind on the inside of the drum where the cable feeds in... can't figure out how to loosen this so I'm putting this out to this awesome forum for help.

Photo attached.

ParkingBrake1.jpgParkingBrake2.jpg

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found a box end wrench that slipped over the spring "claw", compressing them enough to pull the cable out of the drum.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ray... my solution was to leave the cable in place and just unfasten the up-stream cable. The whole unit is out now cable & all.

Post Thanks / Like
    A boxed end wrench works well but you can also put a small hose clamp around it and tighten the clamp to push the tines inwards and clear the backing plate (or the mounting bracket on the body as well)...

Posted for future reference...

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes