Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: FFR mufflers

Post Thanks / Like

FFR mufflers

Could any of you gentlemen who have replaced the FFR mufflers on the 33 hot rod tell me what make and model you switched to . The FFR's are awful loud and bark a lot, I still want the deep hot rod sound without the barking. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the bark. Sounds like a pitbull on the prowl.

3. Likes JimLev liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to stick with the stock location, I saved several recommendations from earlier builders:

Magnaflow 11255 (11365 alt., but 2” shorter) or Flowmaster 842442 mufflers (nice rumbly sound)(Super HP 2?) fit the '33, or SLP Performance 31065 2 ¼” inlet & outlet 4”h x 9.75”w x 13”L, but check inlet/outlet sizes & offset or 14362 or maybe 14325. Walker 41956 extensions fit if need to fill gaps. Another recommended the Flowmaster 40-series delta flow product line. Another one to check is: Dynomax VT p/n 17155 Others have said that either Borla or Magnaflow are both good.

Use this data as a starting point (5-7 years old so maybe obsolete?). You just need the right physical size, pipe size and offsets.

HTH Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    If you want to stick with the stock location, I saved several recommendations from earlier builders:

Magnaflow 11255 (11365 alt., but 2” shorter) or Flowmaster 842442 mufflers (nice rumbly sound)(Super HP 2?) fit the '33, or SLP Performance 31065 2 ¼” inlet & outlet 4”h x 9.75”w x 13”L, but check inlet/outlet sizes & offset or 14362 or maybe 14325. Walker 41956 extensions fit if need to fill gaps. Another recommended the Flowmaster 40-series delta flow product line. Another one to check is: Dynomax VT p/n 17155 Others have said that either Borla or Magnaflow are both good.

Use this data as a starting point (5-7 years old so maybe obsolete?). You just need the right physical size, pipe size and offsets.

HTH Keith HR #894
    Thanks for the info, good place to start. What mufflers are you using

Post Thanks / Like
    I went completely off the reservation and adapted a muffler from a Cadillac CTS-V behind the IRS. Not an option for most builders...
    Keith HR #894
    20190607_165019.jpg

7. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    just ordered Flowmaster Super 44's will let youknow how they sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Compared to my Cobra, the Hot Rod is much more quite. Well, except for the down shifting back fires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by murjam View Post
    just ordered Flowmaster Super 44's will let youknow how they sound
    Please do.. I’m approaching 1000 miles and mine sound almost tinny.. very odd
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you installed the Flowmasters?

12. Thanks murjam thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer, murjam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could not get the Flowmaster mufflers, bought them on amazon but they could not deliver them. Bought Magnaflow # 11225, just installed them and they are quieter at idle but still give you the great sound when you step on it. Were not easy to install, the inside dia. of the muffler stub was 2- 5/16 " and our exhaust pipes are 2- 1/4". The muffler stubs are heavy gauge and I could not crimp them tight using the supplied muffler clamps. Bought 2-1/4 od. x 2-1/4 ID reducers and welded them on the muffler stubs them inserted the exhaust pipe in the reducer and crimped it with a heavy duty 3/8" clamp . The easier way would be to insert the exhaust into the mufflers and weld them. Could not get a welder to do the job, all said it was to small a space to work in. If you use my method