BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump stopped working?

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump stopped working?

Thanks in advance for your help. I upgraded to a deatschwerks fuel pump as my stock WRX fuel pump was maxing out fuel delivery for my EJ207. It started up no problem, I disconnected tow relays to get the firewall back in and now the car won't start, it cranks. I don't seem to hear the fuel pump prime, but since it's a new pump I'm not sure of what sound it makes. I looked all around to see if I nicked a wire putting back in the firewall and eventually took the fire wall off again. I checked and tested all fuses and fuel pump related relays. Not sure what happened as I just put the firewall back in and only disconnected 2 relays. Anybody have any idea? Fuel pump controller went bad? is there a way to test it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tested whether you're getting power to the fuel pump? If so, the fuel pump may be bad. If you're not getting power to the pump, it may be a few different things such as a bad connection, a fuse, a relay or a bad fuel controller. You should be able to test each of these areas with a multi-meter. Hook it up to the fuel controller and see if it reads any voltage when you turn the ignition on. If you don't read any voltage keep working your way back to the battery or ECU until you find the weak link. There's a common fuse that provides power to both the fuel pump relay and ECU, make sure you check that one (not sure what year your donor is).

I haven't used a deatschwerks pump but only heard mixed reviews on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started checking things. Donor car is a 2003. Wondering if this in normal / correct. To the fuel pump relay, when you turn the key on all the way until you are ready to start, the GR wire reads 12 volts. When I try to crank the car over it seems that the BY wire should send power to the fuel pump controller it only reads that it is sending .14 volts through the BY wire. Is this normal? If it is not normal, could it be a ground that has come un-connected?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct, when the ignition is in the ON position, the fuel pump relay should activate power to the BY wire. Be sure to check if the LR wire is reading 12V - this is the power from the fuse box that the relay provides to the BY wire. If the LR wire reads 12V when ignition is on and you're getting 0.14V from the BY wire, it's probably a bad fuel pump relay. If the LR wire is not getting 12V, check the fuse at MB-9. I would check this stuff first before checking grounds.