Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Rearview Mirror with hard top

Post Thanks / Like

Rearview Mirror with hard top

I need to get a center rearview mirror for my hot rod with a top. I have been searching on this and the other forums for pictures. I am finding that the post are many many years old. I am looking for Day/Night interior mirrors that you are using. Please post pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless things have changed recently, FFR does not provide day/night interior mirrors with their kits. I've never seen anyone adapt an OEM day/night interior mirror into a Hot Rod - not that it couldn't be done, it's just a lot of work for very little gain IMHO. The view through that tiny rear window is so constricted that its like looking through a tunnel. That's the main reason I wanted side mirrors on the car.
    HTH Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a rear view camera and dash mount mirror from Watson streetworks. https://watsons-streetworks.com/prod...h-hole-camera/
    it works great and you do not have to view through the very small back window

Roadster
    33 Hot Rod sn 233

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed a windshield mounted mirror for my roadster that would work with my top. I used a mirror from these guys:

http://smoothparts.com/products_mirrors.php

They sell a top-mount Day/Night mirror with your choice of mounts. I have a back-mount glued to the glass using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Papa; 03-01-2021 at 11:17 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how a dash mount mirror can work with the hard top, all you'll be looking at is the sky.

I'll be mounting a Hagan flattie to the top of the windshield (they provide a specific adhesive for this), alternatively I'll mount even higher gluing to the hard top itself.

The only day/night mirrors I've seen are huge (9" plus wide) for such a small cockpit but with some careful searching maybe you can find something

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a day/night but I just fitted mine - very pleased 7EEE4FA2-482C-453E-ADE3-F3860A83D9B3.jpeg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your replies. I like the idea of the Hagan Fatties. I might upgrade my side mirrors to them also. I have the stock(from Factory five) pedestal rearview mirror in my Cobra. I love the way it works and during the day, it is fine. At night, I have to turn it away. With modern headlights, it hurts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dash mount for the roadster version makes sense, you have an unobstructed view through the passenger compartment to the back. With the hard top in place though, the bottom of the glass is at least a couple of inches off the back deck so you'll be looking at least a few degrees skyward instead of level unless you put the mirror on a pedestal like RR. Some guys really like the fatties on the side mirrors, not sure I'd put it on the rear view for a hard top version as the back window is very narrow and you'll only get a nice wide view of mostly the inside.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Hagan offers a "Flattie" version for rearviews, opt for that - you'll be ok!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Used the standard FFR mirror mounted to the hard top inside skin using rivnuts and the two screws no issues and works well as you see the entire rear window easily.
    0S5A3995[1].jpg Don't have a better shot of the mirror, sorry y'all.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    Used the standard FFR mirror mounted to the hard top inside skin using rivnuts and the two screws no issues and works well as you see the entire rear window easily.
    0S5A3995[1].jpg Don't have a better shot of the mirror, sorry y'all.
    There's a mirror?
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

13. Likes AJT '33, Shades, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    There's a mirror?
    Yup if you look very carefully between the two bumps! LOL!!!!
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

15. Likes RoadRacer, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Hagan Fatties for the center mirror. I really like it a lot. It is solid and does not bounce at all. Furthermore, even with out a day/night mode, I did not find it bad when driving at night. They are a bit expensive, but are really well built.

17. Likes AJT '33 liked this post