Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Tramlining - ways to help?

Post Thanks / Like

Tramlining - ways to help?

I'm only 100 road miles into my car, and just had it aligned to the specs below, based on the manual suggestions.

alignment.jpg 2021-03-01 13.30.50.jpg alignment1.jpg

Before alignment, it was hardish to turn while parking, given my 285/30 front tires I wasn't surprised. I could have coped with it, but after alignment the car is pretty light steering, and much easier at parking speeds. BUT it's also very light when driving, darting all over the place to the point that it seems unsafe to drive quickly.

Looking up "online" many call this tramlining, but I'm not convinced that's the right description. It may be caused by a grooved road surface, but to me it was also happening on smooth roads. I'd describe it more like being blown sideways by the wind, or a passing semi. Very twitchy.

Since I couldn't find a thread here on this subject, here we are.

First I'm going to try lowering tire pressures and see if that helps at all. I haven't checked what the alignment shop put in yet, probably 35-40lbs in there. Then I was wondering about how I could play with caster or toe, to see what helped. Camber wouldn't be involved in my mind.

Anyone played with this? Suggestions?
    Last edited by RoadRacer; 03-03-2021 at 10:04 AM.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Your tire pressure is way to high and would cause the driving you are experiencing. The rule of thumb is 1psi for every 100lbs of vehicle weight. That is at least a starting point. For reference, most Cobra drivers are in the 21-24 psi.
    Last edited by Brastic; 03-03-2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Fixed wheel weight to vehicle weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    Your tire pressure is way to high and would cause the driving you are experiencing. The rule of thumb is 1psi for every 100lbs of vehicle weight. That is at least a starting point. For reference, most Cobra drivers are in the 21-24 psi.
    I just checked with my POS autoparts store pressure gauge, and it says 20lbs in the fronts, 40lbs in the rears (the new tires just added). I'm waiting on a new proper gauge and then I'll set up correctly.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine were up close to 40 when I first drove - courtesy of the tire shop. When I brought them down to 23 it was so much better. However, I'm still not happy with it at highway speeds, gets twitchy so still some work to be done.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

5. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In you alignment report I noticed that "0.05" of toe is positive. I know that you want 1/16" negative toe. I just do not remember if that should be a negative number of not. For one of my cars, I set it toe out for better short course turn in. It was great at the autocross, and scary on the freeway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    In you alignment report I noticed that "0.05" of toe is positive. I know that you want 1/16" negative toe. I just do not remember if that should be a negative number of not. For one of my cars, I set it toe out for better short course turn in. It was great at the autocross, and scary on the freeway.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help. According to Wikipedia,

Negative toe, or toe out, is the front of the wheel pointing away from the centreline of the vehicle. Positive toe, or toe in, is the front of the wheel pointing towards the centreline of the vehicle.

But this is worth confirming myself, this is one thing I should probably be able to measure (not the numbers, but whether I'm pointing in or out)
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this, which confirms my thinking that toe-in (positive number, wheels closer at front) is better for stability. Which is what you're saying too, Brastic. So I will make sure this is what I got from the alignment.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

My thinking is that, even if I have it right, I may try more toe-in and see how it feels. Trading some tire wear of course.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    From my understanding, positive toe-in for highway driving. Caster is what makes your wheels return to forward after a turn. Less caster=dartier, more caster=stability. Too little caster<5 deg. Too much caster>9deg. Also, other factors such as pwr steering, large tires, heavy vehicle all play a role in the ease of steering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Are you running PS? A Heidts valve can allow you to dial down the assist.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Are you running PS? A Heidts valve can allow you to dial down the assist.
    No power steering. Everything is as raw as possible
    James

12. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you get your tire pressure corrected, and you are still finding it darty, adjusting the tow angle is the key to solving the issue..

14. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will end up adding a little more castor to get the stability you are looking for. I'd go with about 5 degrees to start

16. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The specs you posted are about as close to perfect for a non-power assisted car in your weight range.

Unfortunately, most tire shops I've dealt with love to look at the tire, notice it states on the tire that max pressure is xx pounds and then inflate to that pressure. They rarely ask what pressure you want to run.
    The rule of thumb here has always been 1 pound of air pressure for every 100 pounds of vehicle weight - adjustable from there after some driving and tread wear checks. Driving thru some fine dirt in a parking lot will show you the tread "footprint" and then you can adjust from there.

FWIW, my MK-II with a 5.0 powered engine weighed in at 2165 pounds with 1/2 tank of gas, Mr. Tubby (me) not in it. I ran 21 up front and 23 in the rear and got perfect footprints.

As far as toe-in goes, 1/16" is the starting point. I ran 3-1/2°+ caster with my manual car and tracking was flawless with a set of Nitto 555's, 275x35x17 in the front. My 20:1 ratio rack made up for no PS . . .

Also FWIW, "tram-lining" can be caused by tire tread patterns. I had a Mitsubishi Outlander that tram-lined a bit on grooved roads, switched to new tires when the old one got to the wear date - new ones didn't do it at all. No other adjustments other than replacing the tires.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 03-07-2021 at 06:01 PM.
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

18. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    The specs you posted are about as close to perfect for a non-power assisted car in your weight range.

Unfortunately, most tire shops I've dealt with love to look at the tire, notice it states on the tire that max pressure is xx pounds and then inflate to that pressure. They rarely ask what pressure you want to run.
    The rule of thumb here has always been 1 pound of air pressure for every 100 pounds of vehicle weight - adjustable from there after some driving and tread wear checks. Driving thru some fine dirt in a parking lot will show you the tread "footprint" and then you can adjust from there.

FWIW, my MK-II with a 5.0 powered engine weighed in at 2165 pounds with 1/2 tank of gas, Mr. Tubby (me) not in it. I ran 21 up front and 23 in the rear and got perfect footprints.

As far as toe-in goes, 1/16" is the starting point. I ran 3-1/2°+ caster with my manual car and tracking was flawless with a set of Nitto 555's, 275x35x17 in the front. My 20:1 ratio rack made up for no PS . . .

Also FWIW, "tram-lining" can be caused by tire tread patterns. I had a Mitsubishi Outlander that tram-lined a bit on grooved roads, switched to new tires when the old one got to the wear date - new ones didn't do it at all. No other adjustments other than replacing the tires.

Doc
    Thanks Doc, this is helpful. I got sidelined by a bad fuel pump, but I just took it out for 20 miles on a different road and yes, it's darty as hell. So now I can focus on this a little, checking pressures and toe first.. wanna make sure they did do toe-in, not toe out
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, an update.

I checked the tire pressures. I already had 20.5 in the front tires (I've had these a while), but the new rears were set at 35psi and 50psi.

So they are now set at 22.5, just a smidge over the fronts (no idea why I think they should, I haven't done corner weights yet). I took nearly 30lbs out of the passenger rear LOL.

I also checked the toe-in - yes I have toe-in. I can't measure the amount, but the printout has the number. I just wanted to check it was toe-in, not toe-out. Here's how I checked:

checking toe.jpg

The difference was 1" over 4 feet, FWIW. Like 63 1/16 at edge of front tire, and 64 1/8 4ft back from that (measuring under the car).
    James

21. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An easy way to see if you get full contact with the tyre to the ground is using some chalk. Draw a chalk line across the width of the tyre and than roll it forward so the chalk makes contact with the ground. If there is a mark on the ground which is narrower than the tyre, this means that the tyre is over inflated, if there are more prominent marks on the outside of the tyre than the tyre is underinflated. If the mark on the ground is just abt the same as the tyre width, the tyre pressure is correct.

Usually this is around 30psi/2bar in my experience with different cars.

23. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS you may want to check if your "Ackermann angle" is set up correctly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackerm...ering_geometry

http://racingonthecheap.com/recommen...andling-guide/
    Last edited by j33ptj; 03-08-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    James,

From post #15, 1" difference is waaay to much. Measuring toe is a relatively simple task. Strap a yard stick or other similar straight piece of material horizontally to your tires. Bungee cords make great restraints to hold a 2 x 4 cut to the proper length ( long enough to just stick out past the tire diameter - Eg; 23" tire, 26" 2 x 4 ) to the tire. Make sure you are NOT on the lettering but rather a smooth place on the side wall. Measure from outer edges to outer edges in front - repeat for back edges.

Difference is your toe measurement.

From your post above: 63-1/16" front should be 63-1/8" rear. That is 1/16" toe-IN.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    James,

From post #15, 1" difference is waaay to much. Measuring toe is a relatively simple task. Strap a yard stick or other similar straight piece of material horizontally to your tires. Bungee cords make great restraints to hold a 2 x 4 cut to the proper length ( long enough to just stick out past the tire diameter - Eg; 23" tire, 26" 2 x 4 ) to the tire. Make sure you are NOT on the lettering but rather a smooth place on the side wall. Measure from outer edges to outer edges in front - repeat for back edges.

Difference is your toe measurement.

From your post above: 63-1/16" front should be 63-1/8" rear. That is 1/16" toe-IN.

Doc
    Don't worry, I probably wasn't clear. I wanted to be SURE of toe-in, so I exaggerated my measurement by measuring it scaled-up over a 4ft length. So I magnified the toe-in dramatically by my measurement method. It's not an inch toe-in.

BTW, my first impression is that the tramlining is a LOT better by reducing the rear tire pressures. I wasn't expecting much difference but it's driving a lot better. I only noticed minor tramlining over some quite extreme backroad undulations.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to update here too (more on my build thread) but I've now got my own alignment kit and have set caster to 7deg.

Although I have to say - the alignment kit instructions say to do the common 20deg left, 20deg right, then double the camber measurement. But I've also read many sites say times 1.5 - and even more (reputable sites) that say use the camber difference directly with no multiplier. In the end I have to believe the alignment kit people, but it's hard to find a straight answer on caster measurement.

Why am I so suspicious? Well, I'm now at 7deg with manual steering, and although the car drives much better than the 2deg it started with, the steering is still very light. Where is this "heavy steering" I hear about?

So next, I'm in line for a bump steer kit, and I may wind even more caster on to continue my experimentation. I need to be able to trust the car the way I drive it
    James