BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cracked windshield...

Post Thanks / Like

Cracked windshield...

Well I guess it stands to reason that the first time my finished Coupe spent the night away from my house, disaster would strike— a cracked windshield. Had it at the detailer for three days. Came to pick it up today, and somehow between the time he put it outside to wait for me (not sure why he put it outside) and when I got there, it got a crack. He's reviewing the security camera footage to find out what happened.

IMG_1069.jpg

Anyway, I guess I have a few questions...

1. Is this a completely custom window that I can only get from FFR? Or is it a more common window I might be able to find locally?
    2. Has anyone ever gone through the process of removing one on a Coupe? I'm sure I'm not the first, so I'm hoping someone has some advice, tips and tricks, etc.
    3. Do I have any chance of finding someone to replace it who isn't going to damage the paint on the surround?

Hopefully his insurance will pay for it, but I'm just wondering if I can trust or even FIND anyone to actually do the replacement. I'm not even sure I trust myself...
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that really sucks. Really sorry to see that. Haven't seen any other reports of broken Coupe windshields. Hopefully it's from some external source vs. the all too frequent breaking Roadster windshields. According to my notes, per Factory Five, it's a windshield from a 1986 Jaguar XJS. Don't know the availability but doesn't appear to be custom. I would recommend having a pro remove it. They have the tools to cut the urethane adhesive and should be able to do it without harming the paint. They do it all the time obviously. New one should go in just like that one.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear man, that sucks. In the same boat but mine was damaged during shipping. I see some of the old black body coupes used the XJS windshield, is that true for all versions. Gen 2 specifically in my case.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is true. the 86 XJS fits fine. I have replaced a bunch.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up