Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Whetstone's Design

Post Thanks / Like
    I drive a Miata regularly, I am quite aware of what it's like to drive around in a small invisible car.
    I suspect not being noticed won't be an issue in the 818 though.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for my favorite smooth exotic design

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Shawn, what are the chances that you have this in a 3d format to get printed?

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely like this design most of all. The other designs just don't quite do it for me, but this one, I would most definitely cause me to whip out the chequebook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming this design is technically feasible, of all the designs, THIS design (especially the targa) makes me reach for my checkbook the most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Hey Shawn, what are the chances that you have this in a 3d format to get printed?
    Hey Guys: Again thanks for all the wonderful compliments!

The images uploaded to this forum were rendered in V-Ray and modeled in Rhino. Rhino is a 3D nurbs surface modeler similar to Alias which can can export all the stardard formats such as iges, step, stl, etc.

At work we use Rhino for quick ID concept generation and visualization. Generally our production intent deliverables are done in Solid Works or Pro-E depending on client preference; however, we routinely use Rhino geometry for CNC or SLA appearance and breadboard models. In some cases we use Rhino surface geometry for final tooling. The 818 concept is a very clean surface model and could easily be printed.

And yes the design is 100% technically feasible especially now that the gas tank is going to be located behind the seats instead of beneath the seats. Honestly, every dimension was scrutinized and based on realistic measurements for this type of vehicle.

Thanks for your Support!
    -Shawn
    SHAWN : INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER : ZUKUNPLAN

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey FFR. Sounds like this would be 3d printer ready and avoid the time involved with making the model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really like this in a targa top!
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Got more votes than any model so far. It is kind of unfair to vote on concept drawings against real models.

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet design, I'd buy a targa in a minute

Shawns, The Vantage, or Xabier's would all be sweet as my next big garage projets....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is my favorite design.Just imagine it in full glorious living color.When I came up with designs I liked I usually made and 1/8 scale model from balsa wood and painted them.. because I am a computer dummy..

Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mel, I bet you like the Jaguar XJ13 too.
    http://www.twrreplicas.com/xj13.html

Someone is making a coupe.
    http://www.shapecraft.com/jag2.html
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    I like shawns design. Mel, I am just not into that. The front reminds me of a catfish. This is Shawns thread by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like the coupe the best.But they both are a little dated.

I thought this was a thread started by wooward..Asking about our favorite designs.I didb't know I wasn't allowed to make comments on it....

(catfish ???) I guess I forgot the whiskers..

Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mekeys View Post
    I thought this was a thread started by wooward..Asking about our favorite designs.
    Maybe different thread, read the title of this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    oops

Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like this could be an option that people prefer second to rodneys design in latest pole. Does anyone have suggestions on it? It seems like most people like as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I actually like Shawn's design a lot I picked it out why back when before the "EXPERT" judges picked the others..I would like to see a little crease or a small vent etc. just to break up the large expanses of area on the side and the hood..

Mel

Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing I'd wanna change would be all the little LED lights in the headlamps.
    I don't know about other states, but in VA if one of those lights is out the cars will fail the safety inspection.
    Plus I hate them in general anyway, they're showing up in KIA headlights now.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    This is definately one of my favorites. I'm liking it more and more. I typically don't like unnessessary creases or anything that "breaks up" a smooth body. I like large expanses of smooth body. This is a very sleek, smooth looking body. It looks equally as good functional and buildable in roadster and coupe.

Aesthetically, one thing I don't really like is the front opening. I just don't like how the front edge of the fenders curve aound to make the sides of the opening. It's just weird looking IMO.

Funtionally, I am a big fan of vertical dischrage through the hood, as you can tell by my plethora of posts on this. I have probably beat this horse well. The intakes for the intercoolers might be insufficient, but that would have to be determined with wind tunnel or FEA. This area is typically under negative pressure, but on the other hand, the engine compartment will ventilate out through the back, which is probably more under negative pressure, so it may work just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    This car ... this piece of art, where form follows function, its understated, effortless grace ... how could you NOT like it? It reminds me of the venerable classic Porsche 904. It would be a travesty if someone DIDN'T build this car ... build it from the ground up if necessary, but build it. True, it's probably not a car for everyone, but truely unique and classic cars rarely are. I'd love to have one in my garage ... right next to Rodney's and Vman's ... Just my $.02 Dave
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my favorite design too. It is very smooth and classy looking, an instant classic in the making.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of my favorites and was my favorite during the competition. I go back and forth between this design and Rodney's as my current favorite. I think this car has a better overall cohesion and a classier design. Well done with this and I'd be happy to have it sitting in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    The elegant integration of the vents and overall shape of this car make it look like a future exotic prototype. I can't say that about any of the other designs except maybe Neuphones sketches (we have yet to see details added on the model).

Post Thanks / Like
    Shawn, do you have any different view points of the targa and convertible? maybe front straight on and front looking down at an angle?

Post Thanks / Like
    This car is absolutely beautiful. I would build it in a heartbeat. I also like Rodneys design, However this design is something that I can see looking good 30 years from now.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I am thinking. Jims design already looks old, xabiers will look old in 5 years, I think rodneys is getting away from the sleek curves it once had, I think nuephones had potential from what is shown in the sketches. Shawns design by far seems to follow what many concept cars are beginning to look like. Simple and elegant. Expensive exotics are looking more and more like they are integrating air vents and scoops into designs just as Shawn does, subtly into the curves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shawn, do you have any different view points of the targa and convertible? maybe front straight on and front looking down at an angle?
    bbjones121: Unfortunately I don’t have any other views rendered up. The only thing I have that you have not already seen is a high down force version with more consideration for airflow on the track, but unfortunately it’s not quite ready for prime time, Thanks for the interest!

Post Thanks / Like

high res images

Some of you have inquired about high res images.

Here is a link to photobucket where I have uploaded high res images for both the Red Roadster and the Silver Targa.

http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/...0Res%20images/

Post Thanks / Like
    I still don't know why Shawn's car didn't win at least in the top 4. Shawn planned everything out well. Only thing I can think of the design might have been too low in overall height to work with the orig. template, but that's an easy fix to make this design work. The main thing I like about Shawn's design is he kept it simple, modern, but yet still has somewhat of a classic look as well.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
    bbjones121: Unfortunately I don’t have any other views rendered up. The only thing I have that you have not already seen is a high down force version with more consideration for airflow on the track, but unfortunately it’s not quite ready for prime time, Thanks for the interest!
    I would LOVE to see this!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 808 look much better than the "winning" desings. Wish we had the better looking cars win.

Post Thanks / Like
    So many great designs. This one is a work of art. Very well done, Shawn.

I'm still firmly in Rodney's camp, but I feel this could be a design for a third party body developer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    So many great designs. This one is a work of art. Very well done, Shawn.

I'm still firmly in Rodney's camp, but I feel this could be a design for a third party body developer.
    Agreed. I would have no issues purchasing an 818 with Shawn's design. It's totally different from Rodney's, but still very cool. My needle points towards Rodney's design, but it's like trying to choose your favorite flavor of ice cream.

1997 Jeep XJ (Cherokee) : Apocalypse Vehicle, 4.5" lift, ARB locker, 34" tires
    1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit : Mid-engined, turbocharged 4 cylinder... remind you of anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    High down force version?! That sounds awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the fact that this design gets lots of votes and that nobody really has comments to change it says a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the fact that this design gets lots of votes and that nobody really has comments to change it says a lot.
    I've seen a few people comment on the front that has been likened to "jowls" and I tend to agree with not liking the (rounded) way the front fenders wrap in towards the front grille opening, but haven't seen any offers to change it up any

...and I would like to see some confirmation from FFR as to the floor to roof height needed to fit the chassis

I haven't really followed this one that closely though, as it's a bit too vanilla for my tastes..but I do think it would be an excellent car for the MPG version if it actually can be made at the current roof height

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    I've seen a few people comment on the front that has been likened to "jowls" and I tend to agree with not liking the (rounded) way the front fenders wrap in towards the front grille opening, but haven't seen any offers to change it up any

...and I would like to see some confirmation from FFR as to the floor to roof height needed to fit the chassis

I haven't really followed this one that closely though, as it's a bit too vanilla for my tastes..but I do think it would be an excellent car for the MPG version if it actually can be made at the current roof height
    Sorry you are correct, but there are very very few comments to change it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry you are correct, but there are very very few comments to change it.
    OK, I'll add some now that I've looked a little more closely at the pix

I've already mentioned the front fender/grille area and the possible roof height question, so here are a couple more things...needs a vent in the hood for the radiator to exhaust, the rear looks bulbous, it needs more air into and out of the engine compartment without doing either from underneath, and I would lose the arches going over the windows on the targa version so it doesn't look like a jungle gym

not that I think any of these changes will be tried out

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    OK, I'll add some now that I've looked a little more closely at the pix

I've already mentioned the front fender/grille area and the possible roof height question, so here are a couple more things...needs a vent in the hood for the radiator to exhaust, the rear looks bulbous, it needs more air into and out of the engine compartment without doing either from underneath, and I would lose the arches going over the windows on the targa version so it doesn't look like a jungle gym

not that I think any of these changes will be tried out
    These are great suggestions if they were needed. They are already part of the design. Try to zoom in on the feature comments on the design. The radiator has vents already and the engine has two large side intakes.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast