Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ECU triggering of fans/increased idle speed for A/C

Post Thanks / Like

ECU triggering of fans/increased idle speed for A/C

Hi All

It's getting warm and, although it will do me zero good in my go cart, it reminds me to charge my A/C and see if everything is working.

I charged it up with the prescribed amount of R134a, the compressor kicks in as it's supposed to and I get cold air.

Next, there's the question of getting the fans to run as the Vintage Air system runs independently of the ECU. Lawson (Isfourwheeler) told me that there's a trigger wire that can be run to the ECU that starts up both fans and ups the idle speed when the a/c compressor is on. This can be teed into the compressor trigger wire from the trinary switch. Brian from iWire kindly sent me a wire to do this. With my 2007 manual a/c setup Brian confirmed that it goes into pin C24 (FYI - the FSM has this incorrectly identified in one diagram on page WI 90 as C23. It should be C24). I get +12V to it when I turn on the a/c but the fans don't run and the idle is not increased.

One thing I thought of that is also now different than the OEM a/c setup is the outside temperature sensor is not hooked up (not supported by standard iWire harness). Does the ECU need to know it is above freezing to run the a/c and therefore the fans?

Has anyone else successfully done this? What am I missing?

Otherwise, I'll wire up the fans through relays triggered by that wire.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Kiwi Dave; 05-23-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll have to go back and check mine, it might be a 12- signal instead of a 12+ to trigger the fans. I seem to remember installing a relay to accomplish this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the fan rules of the oem ecu:

fan rules.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    I’ll have to go back and check mine, it might be a 12- signal instead of a 12+ to trigger the fans. I seem to remember installing a relay to accomplish this.
    Thanks AJ! Please let me know. I hope it's that simple:

pos2neg.gif

Thanks Bob for the rules!

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Kiwi Dave; 05-23-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave

It’s a 12+ signal. Mine is a 2006 so pins and wire colors may not match, but I suspect the functionality will be the same.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post408894