Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Second build

Post Thanks / Like

Second build

Hello all.

Thank you for having me!

My name is Dan, and I built a mk 2 many years ago, and I had a great time, met lots of amazing people, and ended up with a great car. I used a 98 mustang cobra donor and ended up with a great build.

Life got in the way, got divorced, sold everything (Cobra, a handful of Alfa Romeos, house...) and encountered an entirely different lifestyle I have been living for about 8 years, living on a sailboat! It may not be for everyone, but everyone should try it. LOVE it, however, NO GARAGE!!!

I retire in 11 months (not that I am counting) and wanted another sports car. I looked at and drove lots, but really liked the Caddy CTS-V and ATS-V. Test driving these was an amazing AND disappointing experience. They were great cars, but insulated you from the raw experience. A bit like flying a modern plane vs a open cockpit. There is something about wind in your face and all the mechanical sounds that makes the slower plane more fun to fly.

Im back to build a MK4 roadster. I plan on not going the donor route, but need to choose a powerplant. Used? New? Type? I the friends and information here will be so valuable.

I cant wait to get started!!

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your retirement.
    There are a few great options out there and I'm assuming that you're not interested in building the motor yourself.
    So with that in mind, the first question is what do I want the engine to do (mission)? If you are looking for a roadster to look great and move quick, you can go with a 302 or 306. If you want originality or mega horsepower, you can go with up to a 427. My mission was to have a car that will in the end look great but also be formidable on the street. So what I did was I went with a BPE 347. Cost per HP is the best with that option with you consider all the engines and cost.
    I added the option of carbureted and added the TKX transmission in. From Order to delivery date it was March to June. Everything comes with that set up, it's dyno'd and ready to plug and play (literally).
    I bought my rear end axle from Forte's. That also comes completely ready, brakes, brackets, everything. And I know Forte's sells engines themselves and if you go with his engines I'm confident you can't lose there either. I highly recommend him and from what I see in the forum, his Coyote package is awesome.
    I ordered my FFR Roadster kit in March and it will not arrive until August. Until then, I've ordered (and received) everything I need to finish it, engine, transmission, rear axle, etc. That way when it gets delivered there's no waiting around (except for what may be on the POL list from FFR).
    Good luck, looking forward to seeing your progress!
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely a congrats on the coming retirement. Living on a boat for 8 years is cool, we have thought about doing this several times but never pulled the trigger. Have lived in a “land yacht” for 4 years and truly enjoyed it as it was 40’ with two super slides with all the luxuries.

Curious on a couple things if you don’t mind me asking as currently I am in a similar position with no garage. What is your plan? Are you going to rent a place to build in? I would have a second roadster in the build process if I had a garage but alas must wait a bit. Also curious where you moor your boat, a marina of some kind obviously, do you have a covered area to park her once complete?
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your upcoming retirement!

While looking for a place to build I came across a few people that were willing to let me use their space mainly because they are curious and interested in seeing a car get built. It was a pleasant surprise. I took along a few pics of various builds and finished cars so they would know what was going to be happening. As it turns out those pics were very instrumental in convincing the owners to consider letting me occupy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently in San Diego in a marina. I am currently building a custom home in Las Cruces NM. 2000 sf home with 1000 sf garage with height for a lift. Kinda building the home around the desire to build projects...

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently in San Diego in a marina. I am currently building a custom home in Las Cruces NM. 2000 sf home with 1000 sf garage with height for a lift. Kinda building the home around the desire to build projects...

Post Thanks / Like
    Love sailing (had a Hanse400e for 13 years) but living on it a few weeks at a time is enough for me. Congrats on the upcoming retirement and the custom garage, I mean home!

Lots of choices on engine from modern to old school with a few things in between. You can even get dragged to the dark side (where's Go Dad Go this weekend I wonder?).
    BPE (Blueprint Engines) was mentioned above, an excellent choice. if you haven't checked them out here is their offering for FFR kits https://factoryfiveengines.com/ They know what oil pans fit, what accessory drives to go with, etc.
    The only thing they don't have is a Coyote

Enjoy the planning!

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra2 View Post
    Very cool! Love NM, it is such a beautiful state. We never visited Las Cruces but you will only have like 350 days of sunshine a year to drive your roadster!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.