Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tow Weight of Factory Five Cars/Trucks?

Post Thanks / Like

Tow Weight of Factory Five Cars/Trucks?

Third edit (yes, rephrased again) :
    Okay, here it is...
    Can any of these kit cars/truck tow a CLC Teardrop camper? It is a light camper.
    Last edited by Newb; 06-27-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    To what level of accuracy? And for what purpose?

Final weight will depend on engine, trans, diff, wheels & tires, and most of the other accessories that go in to each individual build.

But if a guess is good and that on the high side, 2,600# should work with "light" in the 2,100# range. Coupes are probably the heaviest, not sure about the truck versions.

I'm figuring that my Challenge Car with an aluminum Windsor, TKO-600, aluminum diff, extra roll bar steel and big 17" wheels & tires will hit 2,450#.

Sorry, this may not be the level of detail that you were looking for.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR quote weights on their website for each model. The 33 is listed at 2250.. mine weighed on a local scale was 2280 without any frills (but an iron motor)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Good answer. I am not looking for the final weight of each car. Looking for the towing weight capacity for...a small Teardrop camper (500-750 pounds) or a smallish boat (8 foot raceboat is another goal to build). I do understand this also depends on the final build of the vehicle. I don't have one of these car kits yet. The plan is to buy one, build it, register & insure it and get rid of my current car.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My MK-4 tips the scales around 2,300 with a trailer coming in at or about 1,000.00 so I'm 3,300 lbs all in.
    I have no issues towing it with a 1/2 regular cab 3.6 Litre V6 Ram 1500 Truck.
    When we tow my son's 2000 Camaro, things get sluggish.
    I think his car comes in some place around 3,300.
    Hope This Helps & Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-27-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    My MK-4 tips the scales around 2,300 with a trailer coming in at or about 1,000.00 so I'm 3,300 lbs all in.
    I have no issues towing it with a 1/2 regular cab V6 Ram 1500 Truck.
    Hope This Helps & Good Luck!
    Alright. I don't have a truck. I have a Dodge Intrepid. Great car. Not looking to tow another car with it, just wondering if any of these kit cars can tow a CLC Teardrop Camper (kit). Lightweight.
    I may have to rephrase the question a third time. Thank you for your response.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Alright. I don't have a truck. I have a Dodge Intrepid. Great car. Not looking to tow another car with it, just wondering if any of these kit cars can tow a CLC Teardrop Camper (kit). Lightweight.
    There are NO provisions to tow anything with these cars.
    You may be able to design and fabricate a suitable solution.
    Sorry about not taking the time to focus on your post when I responded earlier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    This thread was fun to watch!

I got curious and did some searching and found several threads.
    I'm sure someone will step in with more current info but this was a good one I found.

https://www.ffcars.com/threads/trail...s-pics.206165/

Post Thanks / Like
    There were several Hot Rods built with trailer hitches, and I remember one guy had a teardrop shaped trailer that was painted in the same color scheme as his car. The most recent example I can think of was Tim Collins' build, but he hasn't been on the forums much the last few years. I suggest a Google search of both this and the other forum for more examples. IIRC, one builder even had PDF copies of his design drawing in his build thread, but that was 5+ years ago.
    HTH Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RRussellTx View Post
    This thread was fun to watch!

I got curious and did some searching and found several threads.
    I'm sure someone will step in with more current info but this was a good one I found.

https://www.ffcars.com/threads/trail...s-pics.206165/
    Hey, thanks! That is what I was looking for! Is that a Factory Five 289 USRRC Roadster? That is so cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    There were several Hot Rods built with trailer hitches, and I remember one guy had a teardrop shaped trailer that was painted in the same color scheme as his car. The most recent example I can think of was Tim Collins' build, but he hasn't been on the forums much the last few years. I suggest a Google search of both this and the other forum for more examples. IIRC, one builder even had PDF copies of his design drawing in his build thread, but that was 5+ years ago.
    HTH Keith HR #894
    Thanks! This is great!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a guy who used to tow a Avanti on a trailer with a Sunbeam Tiger . I thought he was crazy just based on how short the wheel base is a on a Tiger , But I think you could tow what you have listed with no problem but where would you safely attach the hitch on a FFR type of car, Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think you would be limited by the frame....These frames are not designed to pull another vehicle...800 lbs. may not sound like very much but traveling at 50 mph and decelerating very quickly turns that 800 lbs into much more.
    Future Factory Five Racing Type 65 Coupe...
    Expected Finish date is January 23rd 2021