Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Purchasing in NH to register in MA?

Post Thanks / Like

Purchasing in NH to register in MA?

I'm going today to look at an already built FF 33 hot rod someone has for sale in NH. What paper work and/or documentation do I need to confirm it has in order to be sure I can get it on the road in MA? I'm told this car was originally owned and built by an executive at FF, so it may have been titled/registered in MA previously before finding its way to NH, but I'm not sure. Hoping to find that all out from the folks selling it today when I go to look at it. I'm just nervous to pull the trigger on buying it without having some sort of reassurance I'll have everything I need to get it on the road in MA. Anyone who has any knowledge, advice, or input on this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    You’ll need the NH title for one thing if it was registered in NH. MA will require you to pay sales tax on what the Registry on MV says the car is worth, not what you paid for it.
    The car will most likely need CAT’s on it to pass emissions test as well as all the other things a normal car has to have to pass the safety requirements.
    Good luck, keep us posted.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it has already been titled ask to see the title and check the serial number on the title against the serial number on the frame of the car. Usually a bill of sale and the title are all thats needed to go to MVA and have it transfered. Since it's already been titled once the engine serial numbers probably won't come into play. Don't know what criteria MA uses for inspection for tags but just to transfer the tltle should be the above items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses. Super helpful!!

So I went and saw the car today. Very nice build. It is titled in Illinois as a “1933 Ford coup 2 door.” Hoping that means that the title can be transferred to mass the same way. Made copies of all the paperwork and going to bring to the RMV to make sure that’s the case before closing any deals on the car. If the title is transferable as it is and they’ll issue it the same way in Massachusetts then I’ll likely be all in. Fingers crossed!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If its titled you wont have any issues in MA. I am from MA and have done it many times. FFR does not have executives unless you count Dave.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    If its titled you wont have any issues in MA. I am from MA and have done it many times. FFR does not have executives unless you count Dave.

Mike
    Thank you Mike. Appreciate the info and heads up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question I have for the Massachusetts folks. Since the car is titled as a 1933 Ford Coupe, I believe I'm cleared on the emissions part for inspection, but what other things do I need to be aware of in order to get the inspection sticker? Currently the car is open wheeled, so I'm assuming I'll have to get fenders on it? There's other things that I'm not sure of, for example it has no wipers, bumpers, etc. Curious being a 1933 what "safety" things I'm exempt from when getting a sticker versus what I need to add/do to the car to get it road legal. Any Mass guys/gals who have experience with this, I would love to have your input of what to be prepared for. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    It might depend on whether it says replica or anywhere on the title. If it’s just a Ford coupe you might not have to do anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    It might depend on whether it says replica or anywhere on the title. If it’s just a Ford coupe you might not have to do anything
    No mention of replica on the title. All it says is YEAR: 1933 MAKE: FORD MODEL: COUPE BODY STYLE: 2 DOOR

Uploaded a picture for reference.TITLE.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as inspection sticker, it really comes down to the station punching in your info and see what it sends back. The fenders, wipers, etc., I have found are usually not a problem with most inspections. The law has words about having operable equipment at the time of manufacture, and in most cases the inspector looks the other way as they're not sure what a 33 had. The big issue I see is that on a new build you have to have the smog test done, which it will probably flunk. Then you call the Motor Assistance branch who will overide the computer allowing the car to pass, if you have an engine built before smog equipment was added. If a new engine (after 65 maybe?) is another whole ball of issues. Once the overide is done you never will need to go through the smog issue on future inspections. There are several MA guys around the state but the guy I have spoken with and is very helpful is DanDeroy, 508-245-8429. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    As far as inspection sticker, it really comes down to the station punching in your info and see what it sends back. The fenders, wipers, etc., I have found are usually not a problem with most inspections. The law has words about having operable equipment at the time of manufacture, and in most cases the inspector looks the other way as they're not sure what a 33 had. The big issue I see is that on a new build you have to have the smog test done, which it will probably flunk. Then you call the Motor Assistance branch who will overide the computer allowing the car to pass, if you have an engine built before smog equipment was added. If a new engine (after 65 maybe?) is another whole ball of issues. Once the overide is done you never will need to go through the smog issue on future inspections. There are several MA guys around the state but the guy I have spoken with and is very helpful is DanDeroy, 508-245-8429. Good luck!

Great info, thank you for sharing!!