Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do on your GTM today?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile The mendola came today

The mendola with 3:55 came today. Hope to start instillation this next week.
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gonna roll'er outside for some sunshine, and clean-up all the dust from body work. Then the body will come off to allow access for the motor/transaxle install over this coming week.
    I'm actually getting butterflies thinking about the possiblity of firing up the motor within a month (or thereabouts). Haven't felt the rumble of a V8 against my body for almost 2 years!
    (really missin' the SS this Summer).
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like

Slowly working on the interior

I upholstered the engine and console cover, cut down the dash to fit with the body on, fabed the door seal lips and all the interior panels. I plan to
    Dynamat the stock FFR panels on the passenger side, and with a thermal barrier on the engine and tunnel side. Then I'll put another thermal layer on the engine side of these aluminum panels and landau foam on the passenger side before stretching the leather. I know it's too much to ask for a cool quiet interior. I just hope this strategy gives us a less hot and less noisy interior.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    I worked on and drove the car for about a year and put on about a 1000 miles before pulling it apart for paint. So I'm pretty confident we'll be happy with the long term durability of this window. And if it does get beat up I'm only into it about $200. I'll replace it with a fresh one. I have a great pattern. I knew a long time ago that the back glass that came with the kit was never going to make me happy. It's the one area I really have a problem with. Body fitment is just one of those things that can make me feel really good if it's right and ruin my day if it's off. Once I figured I was never going to have a fit with the stock glass I decided to go with a polycarbonate window. I went down to the local hardware store, bought a 4X4 piece of 1/8" Lexan, laid it over the stock window as a pattern. Cut it out with a jigsaw, filed and sanded until I got the shape right and temporarily glued it in place for a year to see what engine temp and normal wear and tear would do. I also did some work to the rear hatch to make it match the shape of the body - 3/16" (final glass thickness). I'm sorry I don't have some better pictures, but look at the upper edge of the hatch and see how I had to add almost 1/2" to the center of the area that is closest to the body. If you can build up the hatch to match the body shape when you install the poly window it will take that perfect body shape. I think its important that you block and finish the new FG work because if it's wavy you're poly window will take that shape and you'll have waves in your glass.
    After I painted the car I ordered a piece of polycarbonate 3/16" Hard faced on both sides from Mc Master Carr. I used the old window as a template and cut, filed and polished the edges of the new window. Then I cut the black out mask and found out how hard the hard facing really is. I wanted to sand the area I was going to spray black but it was too hard to sand. I wound up using a sanding sponge and even that did not do a great job. A light glass bead blasting would probably be best. I just sanded it as best I could and sprayed it black on the inside. Then on the first 105 degree day I put the window in the sun to soften it while I applied a liberal bead of window adhesive to the hatch. After the window was good and hot I put it in place and Gorilla taped the side edges down and let it sit over night. Next day pulled of the mask and Gorilla tape and cleaned the window with Liquid glass and a Microfiber wiping towel. The hard faced Polycarbonate is what they make safety glasses out of so it's extremely scratch resistant and I can vouch for that. I don't think I would try cleaning it with newspaper, but I have no problem rubbing it with a clean Microfiber towel. The 3/16 thickness and the natural curve make the window very strong and yes if you push hard enough in the middle you can deflect it. But it is crystal clear without any distortion. It's not like the headlight covers.

One other thing I did was reinforce the window frame because I suspect the stock glass is uses as a stiffener. I wont be able to use the stock lifting shocks because between the wing and rear louvers the hatch is pretty heavy.

Mike,
    this is something you could do to your car without having to do any repaint work. Then after a couple years and a few thousand miles of road rash you could always pull this window out and have your body reshaped to the stock glass and then repaint. The problem is I didn't think I could make the stock glass fit the body and look right for for our car period. And I'm not afraid of a little body work.

And finally Polycarbonate is what they make bullet proof glass from so you are safe from bullets from the rear!

Steve. Thanks for the detailed write up. I think polycarbonate is the way to go. The hard faced is an even better option.

I was thinking of making a bubble in the center of the window to increase the area above my intakes. Polycarbonate would be a great way to do that.

Thanks again.

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I'm not sue how the hard facing would react to a severe bending. I would suggest buying a small piece and trying it first. As for creating a bubble, I went to a shop that made the windshields for helicopters and I can tell you how they make the bubble windows. If you don't already have a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Steve. Thanks for the detailed write up. I think polycarbonate is the way to go. The hard faced is an even better option.

I was thinking of making a bubble in the center of the window to increase the area above my intakes. Polycarbonate would be a great way to do that.

Thanks again.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    John,
    I'm not sue how the hard facing would react to a severe bending. I would suggest buying a small piece and trying it first. As for creating a bubble, I went to a shop that made the windshields for helicopters and I can tell you how they make the bubble windows. If you don't already have a plan.
    Steve,
    Isn't it heated (baked) and then set on/into a mold to cool???
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    The ones I seen heated the pre cut shape, clamped it into a perimeter mold and then injected air into a cavity beneath the heated plastic. They injected air until the softened plastic ballooned out and broke a laser beam. They stopped injecting air and let it cool in that shape. They then took the formed pc to a light room that had a giant grid pattern on the wall to check for distortion. It was pretty amazing how distortion free they were considering the shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Steve,
    Isn't it heated (baked) and then set on/into a mold to cool???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about building a cover for around the tensioner. Is it needed? Just looking at what will happen to the cover (water fall) if this thing lets go.
    Thanks,

bracket.jpg
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cut, and "aligned" right front inner tie-rod. Buzzed off more rust on the left rear caliper, and primed it.
    Washed some dust, and dirt from the rims.

Got leads on motor mounts/brackets too! Engine drop EToC: next Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile I don't know how I worked all weekend

From looking at the pictures all I got done was Dynamat the passenger side and upholster the dash and reinstall. I did start laying down the carpet pad and cut the passenger carpet. Doesn't seem like much for probably 20 hours work. Good thing I don't get paid by the hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    From looking at the pictures all I got done was Dynamat the passenger side and upholster the dash and reinstall. I did start laying down the carpet pad and cut the passenger carpet. Doesn't seem like much for probably 20 hours work. Good thing I don't get paid by the hour.
    Steve I know exactly how you feel. Some times its amazing doing what looks like so little take so much time. Of course its fun, and the result is an amazing car. Everything will look just like a factory car that we all take for granted. Keep up the good work.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I have been thinking about building a cover for around the tensioner. Is it needed? Just looking at what will happen to the cover (water fall) if this thing lets go.
    Thanks,

bracket.jpg
    Hey Doug.

I am going to make a new cover out of aluminum plate. I'm not so worried about the belts. The lorring timing association requires a fireproof barrier between the passenger and engine. I could probably just cover the inside of the fiberglass with foil tape but making a cover will be fun.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Prayed to the god of paint... "please get my car in color this week".

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the hatch latch installed today!

http://supercarbuild.blogspot.com/20...tch-latch.html
    Delivered June 29, 2012
    Chassis 402
    Body work started (hatch & hood)
    Installing QRP fuel pump
    http://supercarbuild.blogger.com
    FB Page: Super Car Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    Hey Doug.

I am going to make a new cover out of aluminum plate. I'm not so worried about the belts. The lorring timing association requires a fireproof barrier between the passenger and engine. I could probably just cover the inside of the fiberglass with foil tape but making a cover will be fun.

John
    I like taking on new tasks and I think it is a good little project. I will post a picture when I am done.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    I like taking on new tasks and I think it is a good little project. I will post a picture when I am done.
    Oh yeah, Im with you on that one. Making a guard will be fun. There are those holes in the pully support that need to be used

Loooking fwd to see what you come up with.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    The roof scoop is now a permanent part of the car.

http://supercarbuild.blogspot.com/20...oof-scoop.html
    Delivered June 29, 2012
    Chassis 402
    Installing QRP fuel pump

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did something totally unnecessary; I test fitted the engine in the car knowing it would have to be removed in order to paint the aluminum panels. Call me crazy, or wasteful...but at least I know there are no issues dropping it in!
    :P

603344_10151433154069148_1376541485_n.jpg3711_10151433154819148_1593206564_n.jpg
    Here's a little trick to give the hoist legs enough clearance to roll under the control arms
    252548_10151433155194148_2005136906_n.jpg

You know what really sucks though? I'm actually self conscious about my car, and how dirty the wheels, and parts of the cage remain.
    I spent days cleaning the garage floor, and cage to prep for this, and it;s still not very clean. Kempo, and Stig you are to blame (mostly)!

Sometimes I wish my car wasn't sitting in a field before buying it. You all are setting a great example for workmanship standards, and we all
    know that cleaniness is a must when engines are introduced to the install stage.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 09-15-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    I did something totally unnecessary; I test fitted the engine in the car knowing it would have to be removed in order to paint the aluminum panels. Call me crazy, or wasteful...but at least I know there are no issues dropping it in! :P

You know what really sucks though? I'm actually self conscious about my car, and how dirty the wheels, and parts of the cage remain.
    I spent days cleaning the garage floor, and cage to prep for this, and it;s still not very clean. Kempo, and Stig you are to blame (mostly)!

Sometimes I wish my car wasn't sitting in a field before buying it. You all are setting a great example for workmanship standards, and we all
    know that cleaniness is a must when engines are introduced to the install stage.
    Hi Tino,

I don't know what you mean... Your build looks great. The thing about pictures is that they hide quite a lot of what's really there. My car and garage are not as pristine as the pictures seem to appear. I do my best to keep things clean and sorted out; but it doesn't always work out that way... Especially when your work space in one space in an oversized two car garage.

Take care Buddy.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    My first attempt at the passenger side window has been very challenging. As I keep adjusting the tracks and position of the window it just keeps getting smoother and smoother.
    That old saying one step forward with sometimes two steps backwards.

IMG_2446.JPGIMG_2447.JPG
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Mike, that's a nice compliment; I just wish I saw the same on this end.

SK7500: Your dash panel looks incredible. I might have to hire you to rebuild my gauge cluster.

Today I painted the engine bay panels, and dropped the motor onto the mounts. The transaxle install is next. Pics coming soon in the build thread.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 09-16-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliment but for the BEST gauge cluster you should start at the top and that would have to be what Vidal did. If I didn't have 10000 hours into the third attempt at doing our dash, I would do what he did. The cut down cluster fits the proportions of the GTM cockpit better in my opinion.

And don't worry about doing something two or three times unless you are in a race to be done. I'm not even sure "done" is possible. There is always something else to do. Enjoy the journey. Having piece of mind that something will fit later is never a waste of time. It's just one more of those moments that you look at it and say "That just makes me feel good". And Dirt, well when you live in a city that's claim to fame is "Worst Air Quality" like we do, dirt and dust is just a fact of life. Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by 00SS_M6LS1 View Post
    Thanks Mike, that's a nice compliment; I just wish I saw the same on this end.

SK7500: Your dash panel looks incredible. I might have to hire you to rebuild my gauge cluster.

Today I painted the engine bay panels, and dropped the motor onto the mounts. The transaxle install is next. Pics coming soon in the build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I saw Vidal's setup; he has the whole system working including HUD. You guys all make me jealous! If I was to build a super-team of FFR members to assemble another GTM, you and Vidal would definitely be part of it.

Master Debator
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're correct.

The EBTCM controls the a magnetic actuator that varies the steering effort, but the rack requires the entire traction control system to function fully.
    Interesting. When I do my GTM I would actually want to keep all the electronic nanies. Not so much for me, but so my wife will be willing to get in the thing with me. Also I would want to have the HUD and at a minimum ABS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Started to layout the fuel tank/fuel line routing, and modify the tanks for the cross-over. Just a few more days until all the AN fittings, and components arrive!

We're on track for mid-October karting!

Post Thanks / Like
    The aluminum tanks from Quick Racing Products arrived this week. I got them installed this morning. These are really nice tanks!

http://supercarbuild.blogspot.com/20...num-tanks.html
    Delivered June 29, 2012
    Chassis 402
    Installing QRP fuel pump

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    More body work.......
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    During lunch today had to drive back to my hotel as there is no food in the CBD on Sundays. Even though my Sunday lunch break is the only time that I get to see the beach during the day I spent my lunch break rehashing my GTM to-do list for when I am home this coming weekend. My co-workers think that there is something wrong with me……. But they have never seen a GTM now have they ;-)
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hood now ready for Poly Primer.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Vidal.

The body work is easier and more rewarding after the primer is on. No less messy though

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some paint sprayed today, hatch, clam, and jams are painted. Pics will be posted later today. Car will be in full paint in very short order.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 10-11-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The body work is easier and more rewarding after the primer is on. No less messy though
    Steve,
    Thanks. That hood was a lot more work than I anticipated going in. All of the convex, concave and lines required a lot of time (For an amateur like me).
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Got some paint sprayed today, hatch, clam, and jams are painted. Pics will be posted later today. Car will be in full paint in very short order.
    J,
    Cool. Ready for the pics.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    J,
    Cool. Ready for the pics.
    Not the best pics but the color is can finally be seen. Better pic tomorrow.

PS. The rough stuff will be painted black with a texture paint similar to truck bed linner. Same as how Joe's was done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the best pics but the color is can finally be seen. Better pic tomorrow.

PS. The rough stuff will be painted black with a texture paint similar to truck bed linner. Same as how Joe's was done.

Awesome Jim. Can't wait to see it in person.

John
    XTF #2

GTM # 344

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple better pics.Very excited!

Thx V and K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Couple better pics.Very excited!

Thx V and K.
    J,
    Very nice. I had thoughts of going the body color on that support. It looks good. What are your plans for protection of the paint in the areas that are exposed to tire debris in the wheel well?
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    More bodywork.........................................
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    J,
    Very nice. I had thoughts of going the body color on that support. It looks good. What are your plans for protection of the paint in the areas that are exposed to tire debris in the wheel well?
    The panels will be covered with eDead, any painted parts will be 3m clear bra material. The black is Bedliner so that will be untouched.

Post Thanks / Like
    The big thing this past week are the fender louvers. After much measurement, cutting, sanding and bonding, I am now at th epoint where I am feathering in the fiber glass to eliminate the lip and have them blend into the hood.

http://supercarbuild.blogspot.com/20...r-louvers.html
    Delivered June 29, 2012
    Chassis 402
    Installing QRP fuel pump

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast