BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Registering the 818 in California: SB100

Post Thanks / Like
    Why wait until January 2nd? There are still plenty of numbers available this calendar year.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steve300r View Post
    i have a question regarding the SB100 process for an 818 that i am hoping you all can help with. I plan to purchase the kit in the next month or so, and start building in May 2014.
    I have read people taking their information from their order to the DMV in January and getting their SB100 before receiving the kit. Is this possible?
    If i do that, how long can i wait (or is there a timeframe) after being issues by SB100 before taking the car to step 2 - visiting CHP

thanks!
    Hi Steve,

That's great you will be another 818 builder! Welcome!

One item no else has mentioned that could get in the way is current lead time of about a year. If you ordered your kit right now, your production date would most likely be November 2014. Since you mentioned building in May 2014, you may need to adjust your plans somewhat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Why wait until January 2nd? There are still plenty of numbers available this calendar year.
    Doug
    Wow, things have changed. I was going to wait for a few reasons... 1) It won't be on the road until 2014 anyway, 2) So I don't have to worry about filing a non-op, and 3) so I can pay the fees with my year-end bonus

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Hi Ray, that's good to know, as my plan/desire is to register with SB100, choose body style, and get a 1960 designation.

I just received block off plates to remove the air pump, so I'm committing myself to that path (removing smog eqpmt).

I plan to be at the DMV Jan 2nd, just to make sure I get a #, and will have plenty of time to get her on the road within the year.

As soon as I get back into town next week, I'll let you know... plenty to do!
    If it were me, and I realize it's not, I would wait until you are a bit closer to go-cart stage of the build. The 500 numbers a year don't go nearly as fast as they did in the past. This is because car builders like Boyd Coddington are not trying to register cars under the SPCNS program, which were previously illegally registered using wrecking yard VIN numbers. The state gave these vehicles a grace period to be properly registered under the SPCNS program and those builders flooded the CA. DMV each year. That grace period is over now and the economy tanked, so numbers are routinely available the entire year now. I would bet if you went down to the DMV tomorrow you would get a number. Remember once you start the process the state wants their revenue. And event though you may not have a VIN assignment yet, you still have to pay the fees each year. I payed close to $300 each year that the car was not completed because I got the car in the system so early. $600 I could have spent on other things for the car, so think about it.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    I payed close to $300 each year that the car was not completed because I got the car in the system so early. $600 I could have spent on other things for the car, so think about it.
    Hi Frank, thanks for the info. Saving the $300 is why I'm waiting til next year, since I know it won't be driving before then. I do plan to finish in 2014, so I'll get the paperwork done early!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got through the registration for my GTM (I was #276 on the SB100 program for 2013). Not sure if it was mentioned here, but under the SB100 program you actually choose if your car is smog 'judged' by the engine year of production or the body year of production. If you decide to judge on the body and the body is not similar or a replica to a production car, the year assigned is 1960 - then all you need is a PCV valve / system.

When the referee asked me if I wanted the car judged by engine year or body year and I responded with "by body year" - he said "good choice".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaragos View Post
    I just got through the registration for my GTM (I was #276 on the SB100 program for 2013). Not sure if it was mentioned here, but under the SB100 program you actually choose if your car is smog 'judged' by the engine year of production or the body year of production. If you decide to judge on the body and the body is not similar or a replica to a production car, the year assigned is 1960 - then all you need is a PCV valve / system.

When the referee asked me if I wanted the car judged by engine year or body year and I responded with "by body year" - he said "good choice".
    Thanks for the first-hand info, and congrats on the GTM! That's my plan, and it's the way the law is worded. It just feels like a loop-hole, and I can't help but worry that an unsympathetic referee would be of the opinion that since the body is unrecognizable, it should be classified by engine. It sounds like I shouldn't be worried, though, and can plan on removing the air pump, evap purge valve, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    I know how the state works, they can turn on you anytime, regardless of rules. The smog cronies are dangerous and psychotic of sorts, but they do love money. They know that our cars are not "usually" everyday drivers & this is why they allow SB100.
    I wouldn't even build this car if SB100 didn't exist, I couldn't bring myself to give the state smog money every 2 years, hell I have an 05 Infinity that has 50 K on it as a Sunday car, and have to fork over the smog money every 2 years regardless it is in new condition.
    They looked at the SB100 a couple of years ago and had a meeting. I talked to these people and explained that WE ARE enthusiasts, and most are not daily drivers, and any threat to the SB100 process would hurt not only the PARTS industry, but builders, painters, tool makers and most of all charity rides/car shows.
    Mrs Nichols is the head of the CARB and she was appointed, not elected. She has destroyed whole industries over bogus smog claims in the past, she doesn't care about grease monkeys or SB100, the fact that the quota has not been met in the past 3 years is enough for her to abolish it all together.
    Who knows the details of the Lotus and the year model that this car best mimics?? The guy that gave us the SB100 owns a Cobra replica - he understands, they could care less. When I talked to them I argued the car show charity subject, this is our strongest argument to keep it around and a dam good one to keep alive the California lifestyle.
    California is moving toward an "E cars" fantasy in the future, but they also are giving "undocumented" residents driver licenses ! Can't wait to see the guy climbing over a fence at the border, buy a Tesla S. Think your better off buying a Bumper car.

The Lotus will not work, too new & since it is a newer body style, we can't use "a like" replica in any case. JUST SHOOT FOR THE SB100 & try to get a 1960 tag I guess…
    Last edited by THE ITALIAN; 11-13-2013 at 06:49 AM. Reason: update

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    My 2 cents?
    I've always beleived that when faced with a brick wall don't bloody your hands pounding on it. Go around it.
    Apply for your SB 100 exemption on Jan 2 and ensure that you'll be one of the 500.
    I registered an SB100 kit car in early 2013. I got my SB100 certificate on December 27th 2012, and it was number 412 for that year. You don't have to turn up at the DMV at 4:00am as you had to in previous years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, things have changed. I was going to wait for a few reasons... 1) It won't be on the road until 2014 anyway, 2) So I don't have to worry about filing a non-op, and 3) so I can pay the fees with my year-end bonus
    The DMV I used to get an SB100 did not let me get an SB100 until I had a car that they could see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    If it were me, and I realize it's not, I would wait until you are a bit closer to go-cart stage of the build. The 500 numbers a year don't go nearly as fast as they did in the past. This is because car builders like Boyd Coddington are not trying to register cars under the SPCNS program, which were previously illegally registered using wrecking yard VIN numbers. The state gave these vehicles a grace period to be properly registered under the SPCNS program and those builders flooded the CA. DMV each year. That grace period is over now and the economy tanked, so numbers are routinely available the entire year now. I would bet if you went down to the DMV tomorrow you would get a number. Remember once you start the process the state wants their revenue. And event though you may not have a VIN assignment yet, you still have to pay the fees each year. I payed close to $300 each year that the car was not completed because I got the car in the system so early. $600 I could have spent on other things for the car, so think about it.
    I have been working on my kit since 2008 and that's why I haven't started my registration yet.... Hopefully soon though. November or December is not a good time of year with the holidays to be paying registration fees. February is better so something else to think about..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ'snakepit View Post
    I have been working on my kit since 2008 and that's why I haven't started my registration yet.... Hopefully soon though. November or December is not a good time of year with the holidays to be paying registration fees. February is better so something else to think about..
    Does this mean that if I apply for SB100 in December, I will owe the fees all over again in January 2014??

Post Thanks / Like
    Any registration luck in CA?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am almost through it, but my progress is at a standstill while I rebuild my motor.

I went to the DMV, paid my fees ($1,400 tax and title) and 4 weeks later received my sequence number in the mail. While waiting for that I went to the CHP and they issued then riveted my new VIN after verifying my motor wasn't stolen. The DMV required I get a brake and light inspection which I didn't pass. Many of the things they failed me on were trivial, such as the lights which illuminates my license plate being LED. Seriously?

This is the entire list of things that failed:

Rear backup and turn lights are LED and not DOT
    - This one is tough. The only thing i can think of is to drill a hole in the rear and put a white DOT surface light then replace the existing turn signal with an amber DOT surface light
    Turns signals must auto cancel
    - Install stock steering column and wire up
    Head lights are at 20.5 - must be at 22"
    - Put front suspension at street height, tighten front coils. They wont pass 21.75 so if its still short i will get larger diameter donut tires on a temporary rim to pass
    Brake hose close to tire at full crank
    - Need to adjust
    Proportioning valve not DOT
    - Bypass valve
    Steel braided brake lines not DOT
    - Replace lines with rubber DOT lines
    Rear reflectors missing
    - Find and install
    License plate lights LED and not DOT
    - Find DOT license plate lights

I hear that each place is different on how strict they are with the inspection. Some places are more concerned with making sure that car is simply safe to drive on the streets while others are sticklers such as the place I went to.

After I do get past this hurdle the REFs are my last step then I'm done. My only concern with them is the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really appreciate the detailed response Brando! Thank you. A pain-in-the-butt, so it seems... Dang. If this were a replica build, like the Cobra, I guess it wouldn't be this challenging...

I'm actually at John Wayne Airport now, heading back to San Jose, CA. I see you are in Irvine...

Best to you Brando.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brando where did you go for the brake and light inspection?

Post Thanks / Like
    that's bs, go to another inspector

my cobra was easy, all i had to do was drive by and come to a stop

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice, I can see John Waynes runway from my office. It's a fun takeoff from that airport isn't it?
    The shop I went to was C & F, located at 2090 Placentia Ave, Costa Mesa. Inspection was $140. Once my car is back on the road I am going to try some other inspectors and hope for an experience like TahoeTim had.

Here is a list of inspection locations:
    http://brakeandlampinspection.com/locations.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done brake and light inspections before but mainly on my salvaged bikes. Not quite severe as cars but still LEDs were allowed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Nice, I can see John Waynes runway from my office. It's a fun takeoff from that airport isn't it?...[/URL]
    Indeed. A great airport in general! I must admit, I'm not a fan of LA, for more than a couple reasons, but OC is nice, not reminding me of LA at all. I return in late Aug and sometime in September, and I'm not dreading it like I would LAX / LA, lol.

If not much of a hassle, kindly provide status of your continued attempt to register the 818 in CA. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Come on up to Fresno for your brake and light inspection. There is a business called Electric Lab that has been doing component cars for over 20 years, they know that we are enthusiasts and will work with us. My high beam burnt out during the test and they asked if I wanted to run down and get a lamp so that they could finish the test and not have to return. Good people to work with.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'm reviving a nearly 2 year old thread...

Any more success stories (818 CA DMV registrations)? Our old house is on the market, hopefully selling soon, and if so, I'll have time later this year for this project, or maybe the MK4 (fan of both)...

Speaking of which, is it easier, in a noteworthy way, to register the MK4 (replica) as compared to something like the 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Any more success stories (818 CA DMV registrations)?
    Matteo did last year. My build is slowly crawling along; maybe this year?

Speaking of which, is it easier, in a noteworthy way, to register the MK4 (replica) as compared to something like the 818?
    Not really in CA; other states can be more difficult for non-replicas, though. For CA, you'll need one of the 500 SB100 permits granted each year. By registering by apparent bodywork, a Mk4 has to meet the emissions requirements of the original (1965), whereas since the 818 does not resemble any production auto, the emissions compliance year assigned is 1960. In either case, I believe all you need is a sealed crankcase (PCV valve, no open breathers); no catalytic converter or biannual smog checks required for either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did over a year ago. For me it was a nightmare because of dmv employees. Every other step was pleasant and quite easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Matteo did last year. My build is slowly crawling along; maybe this year?

Not really in CA; other states can be more difficult for non-replicas, though. For CA, you'll need one of the 500 SB100 permits granted each year. By registering by apparent bodywork, a Mk4 has to meet the emissions requirements of the original (1965), whereas since the 818 does not resemble any production auto, the emissions compliance year assigned is 1960. In either case, I believe all you need is a sealed crankcase (PCV valve, no open breathers); no catalytic converter or biannual smog checks required for either.
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    I did over a year ago. For me it was a nightmare because of dmv employees. Every other step was pleasant and quite easy.
    Thank you both!

I'm honestly torn between the MK4 and 818 as well as a non-FF car; and I figured that if a replica, like the MK4, was less of a hassle with the CA DMV, that I'd want to make that a consideration in the decision process. But, it sounds like in CA with the SB100, it really makes no difference...

Not wanting to take this thread off course, but if anyone is aware of a good discussion about the MK4 and 818, a comparison of sorts, pros/cons, etc, kindly direct me. I'll try searching again, but I imagine others too contemplated between the two. About an hour north of Laguna Seca, I'd be looking to take the ride of choice to that track several times a year. I'm inclined to think that the 818 with less mass, a lower center of gravity, will have better lateral grip and scoot around those turns more effectively... Just a hunch though. Please, PM me with a link or simply provide it here with no additional commentary so we don't take this off course any more than what I have by asking...

Thanks again for the info on the SB100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not wanting to take this thread off course, but if anyone is aware of a good discussion about the MK4 and 818, a comparison of sorts, pros/cons, etc, kindly direct me. I'll try searching again, but I imagine others too contemplated between the two. About an hour north of Laguna Seca, I'd be looking to take the ride of choice to that track several times a year. I'm inclined to think that the 818 with less mass, a lower center of gravity, will have better lateral grip and scoot around those turns more effectively... Just a hunch though. Please, PM me with a link or simply provide it here with no additional commentary so we don't take this off course any more than what I have by asking...
    This thread ended up with a bit of a discussion regarding the relative appeal of the 818 vs Mk V. However, if you're really torn between the two, I'd recommend starting a new thread and soliciting opinions. A number of 818 builders have done both, but in the end it's a personal decision as to which vehicle is right for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread ended up with a bit of a discussion regarding the relative appeal of the 818 vs Mk V. However, if you're really torn between the two, I'd recommend starting a new thread and soliciting opinions. A number of 818 builders have done both, but in the end it's a personal decision as to which vehicle is right for you.
    Not sure why I didn't get an email alert regarding your response, but thank you very much! Aesthetically, for me, MK4 all the way, but there's so much to consider - SB100 not being one or a factor between the two though... Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping an old thread for anyone searching like I am:

A friend of mine just bought an Ariel Atom and it has an sb100. So! If he can register an Atom in CA, no reason anyone can't register an 818, MKIV, etc. I know it's been said, I'm just confirming for anyone still not sure/on the fence/etc.
    It may take time, but well worth it. He has NO smog on the car. EPIC.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have now retired Senator K. Maurice Johannessen, to thank for it. He was apparently a Cobra kit car fanatic and saw the need for the legislation .
    It would never see the light of day now... we'll take them when we can get them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12