FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A few questions for a new buyer....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A few questions for a new buyer....

I am pretty much certain I will buy a GTM Supercar kit.

I have restored my share of cars over the years but this will be my first kit. I figure I will find the donor car first and go from there.

Donar car....

Any year better than others?
    Thinking I would buy one that has been in an accident but runs. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Kit

How long does it take from the time you place the order till you get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get a 99 - problems with the ECU (vats reset). If you get an 04 youll have some extra steps if you use the vette fuel tanks

Kit delivery depends on how busy FFR and stewart transport are (if you have it shipped by them). Mine took about a month back in '08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you.

One more question.

Is the tube frame assembled or will you have to weld it together?
    Last edited by artistwantab; 11-06-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its fully jigg welded and perfectly square.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly right. Specifically, 98 through to 99. 2001 through 2004 are fine.. My donor was a 2003 but, an early model which means that you still have the older style tanks just minus the ECU issues.

Quote Originally Posted by spytech View Post
    Don't get a 99 - problems with the ECU (vats reset). If you get an 04 youll have some extra steps if you use the vette fuel tanks

Kit delivery depends on how busy FFR and stewart transport are (if you have it shipped by them). Mine took about a month back in '08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.

So clad the frame is welded because that would have been the only thing I am not capable of doing. I think.

I guess now its time to talk to Factory Five.

I will keep everyone posted once I have more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by artistwantab View Post
    Donar car....

Any year better than others?
    Thinking I would buy one that has been in an accident but runs. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Kit

How long does it take from the time you place the order till you get it.
    If you're using the donor's engine its a good idea to ensure it runs perfectly prior to tear down and try to avoid 98 and prior models. If you're not using the donors engine/PCM then those years are fine for all of the other donor items.

Insurance auctions are a great source. I used Copart. My donor had front end damage but ran perfectly with no DTCs, I sold the engine and PCM (LS1). I purchased an 2003 LS6 complete pull with just under 16k miles.

The majority of the frame it welded with the use of a jig and is square, but the halos are welded with out a jig leaving room for error, but chances are you'll not have an issue.

Getting to go-kart is very doable for anyone that has wrench knowledge and ability. The hard part of the build starts when the body goes back on and the body work starts.
    Last edited by VD2021; 11-07-2011 at 09:19 AM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well body, engine and mechanical is no issue. Lowering the body down will be something I have not done since restoring a 1954 VW Beetle but imagine it will be fine.

Even though I did my share of tig welding back in the day I make a living as a VISUAL artist so I am unwilling to risk my career to save a few bucks welding it myself. Glad to hear it should be fine.

I have never done any interior work either but no worries because you wont catch me anywhere near an ironing table much less a sewing machine.

Engine....

I did intend on using a donor engine but upgrading the hell out of it over the years. I am very familiar with the LS1 up till about 2000. I Thought the engine went to the LS6 in 2001 so I was leaning that way even though I have owned one it basically is an LS1 with a few improvements.

I haven't been able to see any photos of the Supercars engine compartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Being from California I imagine I have to deal with the smog and it will be based on the year CD5 I buy.

Correct????

Post Thanks / Like
    Being from California I imagine I have to deal with the smog and it will be based on the year CD5 I buy.

Correct????
    No. Google California SB100. You apply for a special exemption under this "plan" and never have to deal with smog inspection. . . ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    As for the years, my understanding is that it's the '97 and '98 years to avoid. '99-2003 are the same.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtGirl View Post
    No. Google California SB100. You apply for a special exemption under this "plan" and never have to deal with smog inspection. . . ever.
    That is incredible! You made my day.

I do have one question when taking it to a smog referee. Should I leave the engine as STOCK as possible from the donor before taking it to them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am reading through some posts here and stumbled on to someone saying they came up with over 50k for parts on the average GTM.

Just curious where the other total is coming from?

20k for kit....
    10k for donor.....I know you can do better if you search for a salvage which I intend on doing.
    3+ for trans...
    I know tires and rims?

Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been the king of being a cheapo, without the sale of donor parts I would be in the high 30's for the parts and paint. I am not a typical owner and know it took me years to put together all these deals, I also added $5000 in "I want" extras. Here is my spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FfUEE&hl=en_US

Post Thanks / Like
    I am reading through some posts here and stumbled on to someone saying they came up with over 50k for parts on the average GTM.

Just curious where the other total is coming from?

20k for kit....
    10k for donor.....I know you can do better if you search for a salvage which I intend on doing.
    3+ for trans...
    I know tires and rims?

Am I missing something?
    YES! As Kalstar mentioned, there are cheap ways to do it, like trading time for $$$$ by spending literally years searching for the very best deals on absolutely everything you buy for it, but for the most part, $50 will make for a pretty tight budget. If you do some searches on the "other" forum for threads on this topic, you'll probably find some of my posts on the subject, listing out the dozens and dozens of other parts, supplies that you will need to figure into your total. When I quote a GTM build to a prospective customer, I have a spreadsheet with over 100 line items that I use to work up the total cost to build. You list 3. An no, you will probably not find a transaxle for $3k anymore.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know there must be tons of extra things but still didn't seem to add up. I have restored my share of vehicles and the cost for misc. parts was never a major issue. Because I do most of the work myself I was just curious where the cost in parts are from.

When I initially saw this I assumed it was with the cost of paint, interior and wheels and tires. I just didn't see where 20k in misc part are from.

Please don't misunderstand, I am not looking to cut corners. My main interest is to accumulate as many of the parts NOW before I bring in the kit.

@Kalstar

I saw your spreadsheets last night and downloaded them and going to work off of them so I may have some questions at times for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I updated the spreadsheet this morning, so print it out again. Not much different but a few $100 more in little "misc parts". Happy to help how ever I can. Also I am closer to $6000 in extras now. The bug is starting to bite me in the wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the work. Yes I imagine the extras will add-up....

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I leave the engine as STOCK as possible from the donor before taking it to them?
    Not necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amazing. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another question.....

Still gathering info on the GTM I plan on building. I appreciate all the help as I create my wish list and to do list.

I have read that the fit in the engine compartment is tight....very tight. I have seen some photos of GTM's (can't find them now) where it looks like they can lift the whole rear part of the car. If needed they could also probably remove just the rear part exposing the engine.

It that normal for all GTM's or was this custom done.

Just curious if you need to lift the body completely off every time you have work to do on the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nevermind....

Just saw a picture of the shell of the GTM and it looks like its all one part so it must have been a custom job...

This is what I am talking about....but on a gtm.....god I hate it when I don't save links.

If someone here has done that I would love to here about the process and if you would not do it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an FYI just in case. You can buy the manual ahead of time so you know exactly what you are getting into. It's something along the lines of 600 pages. Certainly a light read. :-p

As far as the years go: The chassis are primarily the same minus the fuel tanks in 2004. I highly suggest a 2001-2004 motor. No ECU issues and most share the block with the LS6. If you are planning on modding the engine; any extra money spent on a LS6 is really wasted. The big differences are the 241 to 243 heads, different cam, better intake and lighter vales(cannot remember which). All of which is replaced in any modified N/A build. My Rx-7 has a 2002 motor in it and a truck PCM from a 2003 silverado. I just used HP Tuners to reflash a camaro OS and tune.
    94 BB Rx-7 3030lb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you.

That is actually a wonderful idea. I have planned on buying the donor and settling on the engine first. Once I have the engine and donor parts then I plan on buying the kit. Still have not settled on which kit. I like the GEN1 body better but who knows if a used kit will be available when I am ready. The manual may be different for the GEN1 if I can find a used kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much the same, go in Factory Five's website, they are having a sale $1.00 for the full downloaded GTM build manual, that's right a buck or 99 cents to be exact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks...The website says $9.99 so I assume you read it wrong but no worries beggars can't be choosers.

Still no luck with someone who has done the full open-tilt rear section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Pretty much the same, go in Factory Five's website, they are having a sale $1.00 for the full downloaded GTM build manual, that's right a buck or 99 cents to be exact.
    Anyone who is even REMOTELY interested in building a GTM or any FF product should buy the manual and read it multiple times BEFORE committing to the purchase. That, coupled with reading everything on the two forums, is the smartest thing any potential builder could do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kalstar is right. There was a black Friday special on the manual for .99 cents.
    GenII GTM #354
    Delivered (02/09/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am going to wait for audio book version on Christmas.

Yoda is doing the audio because you need Jedi powers to get the window frames right from what I hear.

I am assuming you're kidding on the black Friday sale.
    Last edited by artistwantab; 11-28-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are more right than you think, Yoda that is....a lot is done backwards from the way the manual tells you to do it, wait til you get to the wiring, photos are in black and white and they tell you the green one goes here and the purple one there. And after you guess, you find out they go in the opposite way the manual shows you.

And no, all kidding aside, there is a 99 cent Black Friday Sale. I am sure if it is over, if you call them tomorrow they will still honor the price.