18 14.63%
  • Xabier's

5 4.07%
  • Jim's maybe with some improvements

1 0.81%

Thread: Vote for one design.

Post Thanks / Like

Vote for one design.

Thought it might be time to start a new survey without the body style questions and with Rodneys new versions. Obviously we are all hoping some of the other designs can be refined but this will have to do for now.
    Please vote for the one you would most like to build.

Rodney's Napalm Orange with intakes on rear 1/4
    Os redVenom Fright2w intakes.JPG

Rodney's Napalm Orange w/out intakes on rear 1/4
    Os red VenomFront2b.jpg

Rodney's Original Blue
    Os Blue Front.jpg

Nouphone's
    nouphone lg.jpg

Vman's More pictures available at
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Project/page5
    Vantage Side 2.0 FR.JPG

Whetstone's More Pictures available at
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...stone-s-Design
    silver SW1.jpg

Xabier's Larger picture at:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...model-feedback
    xabier quarter scale.jpg

Jim's maybe with some improvements
    more pictures at:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Sample-Model-4
    Jims w detail.jpg
    Last edited by kitcarj; 11-10-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh, there are several I'd like to build and I hope to have at least that option when it comes time to purchasing my kit.

And, you missed Xabier's design!

For now, I would probably start with a Roadster and that would have to be version 2.0 of Rodney's concept (still in flux).

Post Thanks / Like
    Only Rodney's are actually 'clickable' to enlarge for a better view. You may want to fix that so as not to skew the voting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry somehow you could see it before I even finished the poll.????
    Quote Originally Posted by keys2heaven View Post
    Ugh, there are several I'd like to build and I hope to have at least that option when it comes time to purchasing my kit.

And, you missed Xabier's design!

For now, I would probably start with a Roadster and that would have to be version 2.0 of Rodney's concept (still in flux).

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I tried fixing it but it started grouping on the clickable photos at the bottom. I think everyone has seen the other photos. If you need to see a larger picture go to other thread please:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ny-as-you-like.

Quote Originally Posted by vozproto View Post
    Only Rodney's are actually 'clickable' to enlarge for a better view. You may want to fix that so as not to skew the voting.

Post Thanks / Like
    kitcarj, my side view has changed since the one you have posted, and should show front and rear as well to be fair, so people can see the overall car, same with the others at least with Rodney's since far as I can tell is the only one updating his design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also... seems like Rodney's the only one that has a larger picture, while the other cars has only a small outdated picture... to me this poll is a bit biased towards Rodney's updated car.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Thought it might be time to start a new survey without the body style questions and with Rodneys new versions. Obviously we are all hoping some of the other designs can be refined but this will have to do for now."

I would at least hope for good, consistent photos of the models (details added, color issues minimized, realistic views, etc.) before attempting to jump to a premature poll based on preliminary and incomplete information.
    Then the polling, if it is to be done, needs to be done in the most even handed method possible. Otherwise the 'results' will just reflect the last few weeks of this process, with a few favorites soaring temporarily to the top. Very misleading.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's with these intakes on rear being included everywhere?
    I'm pretty sure that's confusing the issue. There should only be one poll option: Rodney's official orange 818.

And I agree with OldPro, premature poll instigation.
    Last edited by Flashburn; 11-10-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now see what you made me do I think I am running into a file size issue since I tried fixing the pictures and switching them to updated ones. I had no ill intention. I thought this would be much more relevant then the old poll that everyone voted on before one design went from the bottom of a lot of peoples lists to the top. I am not sure we will see revisions to any of the designs except Vman's for a while. Unless the design school started on there variation of Xabier's design as soon as they finished the official one.

Somewhat fixed now
    I am also hoping that no one is just flying in here and taking the poll without keeping up on what is going on.
    Do you think O's design will get old that fast or are you just hoping others will soar also?
    Since you can only vote once you add the first two together for the Napalm Orange total.
    I was curious, since some people don't like the air intakes, which people would prefer.
    Last edited by kitcarj; 11-10-2011 at 12:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any of you talented editors thought of shifting your attention to some of the neglected models?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    "Thought it might be time to start a new survey without the body style questions and with Rodneys new versions. Obviously we are all hoping some of the other designs can be refined but this will have to do for now."

I would at least hope for good, consistent photos of the models (details added, color issues minimized, realistic views, etc.) before attempting to jump to a premature poll based on preliminary and incomplete information.
    Then the polling, if it is to be done, needs to be done in the most even handed method possible. Otherwise the 'results' will just reflect the last few weeks of this process, with a few favorites soaring temporarily to the top. Very misleading.
    Lol, what's with you and polls? It's the internet dude, not the national primaries. Some forums allow polls within each individual post, heck facebooks "like" button is just ongoing polling.

I'm almost tempted to have a poll on how many polls we think olpro would be able to handle in a week. I do agree with you though, it's hard to get non skewed data overall from some of these but they are harmless and provide at least a general litmus test. When things settle down a bit and it's time to collect real decisive data, you should certainly take part in ensuring the poll is clean and fair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashburn View Post
    What's with these intakes on rear being included everywhere?
    I'm pretty sure that's confusing the issue. There should only be one poll option: Rodney's official orange 818.

And I agree with OldPro, premature poll instigation.
    I agree with your observations, and olpro is right about needing to wait.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't mean to lay into olpro. I just am saying Polls are a good way to pass the time and get some data, even if it's skewed so no need to discourage them, just be clear that some polls are for fun and some are really looking for formal data. Eventually though, we will have to do a more formal, controlled and balanced Poll in which some planning will need to go into.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to pitch my opinion. Rodney's design is certainly neat and gets the lion's share of the attention. For my money though, it's a bit over the top and, like I believe I saw posted elsewhere, too reminiscent of a '70s kit car. Reminds me too much of the Bradley GT. The Nuophone design looks the most "of a piece" for me. Modern, sharp, sexy. I think with a new front end Jim's design could really do it for me, too. If it turns out that the car looks a lot like Rodney's design, it won't be a deal breaker for me, but I'll be a bit sad to see a design that's a bit too flash for my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thane View Post
    Just want to pitch my opinion. Rodney's design is certainly neat and gets the lion's share of the attention. For my money though, it's a bit over the top and, like I believe I saw posted elsewhere, too reminiscent of a '70s kit car. Reminds me too much of the Bradley GT. The Nuophone design looks the most "of a piece" for me. Modern, sharp, sexy. I think with a new front end Jim's design could really do it for me, too. If it turns out that the car looks a lot like Rodney's design, it won't be a deal breaker for me, but I'll be a bit sad to see a design that's a bit too flash for my eyes.
    2nd that. Rodney's car is looking good, but Nouphone's is still my favorite. As a model, it looks a little tame, but I have the feeling that in real life it will look very hardcore, but in a subdued, non-flashy, 007 manner. I would like to see this car and some of the other receive some of the input and revision that has given Rodney's car so much recent improvement and popularity.

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing to me how I've gone from not liking this design at all to having it as the desktop background on my computers.

Post Thanks / Like
    We really, really need to see the other models with detail applied, proper lighting, etc. We'll have latest Rodney napalm version 3d render soon, which will be almost as useful to compare.

Until then, we're just guessing which one we really like best, and which ones we dislike to the point of dealbreaker.
    Last edited by Oppenheimer; 11-10-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was Shawn going to do any changes to his design? It is still my favorite.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I thought Rodney's car would be at the top of the poll but between the 3 options, 70% of people picked his as there first choice. Good job Rodney. You even converted a lot of us that really disliked the original design. I hope you, or someone close to you knows how to sow buttons back on your shirts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock44 View Post

It's amazing to me how I've gone from not liking this design at all to having it as the desktop background on my computers.
    ^Agreed. Setting to a desktop pic now.
    I picked Rodney's but I still would love to see a high fidelity scale model comparison between Rodney's and Vman's.
    If I could split my vote it would be 60% to Rodney and 40% to VMan.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope.still don't like it. Thanes is correct.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thane View Post
    Reminds me too much of the Bradley GT.
    I'm old enough to have lusted for one of those as a teenager, considered purchasing a project car (basket case) back in 1990, but my sanity prevailed.

http://bradleygt.org/

VenomFront2b-Bradley-GT.jpg

EDIT-1: Added a side view comparison.
    bradley-O-kach22i-Blue Side.jpg
    Last edited by kach22i; 11-11-2011 at 06:44 PM.

1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    I'm old enough to have lusted for one of those as a teenager, considered purchasing a project car (basket case) back in 1990, but my sanity prevailed.
    VenomFront2b-Bradley-GT.jpg
    That's what that is. Someone in my area has one. It did not age well, but I suppose that's not atypical for kit cars from the era.

Of course my teenage lusting was for the Esprit, which I eventually bought. The Esprit is not a whole lot more than a kit itself though.

1997 Jeep XJ (Cherokee) : Apocalypse Vehicle, 4.5" lift, ARB locker, 34" tires
    1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit : Mid-engined, turbocharged 4 cylinder... remind you of anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrieStone View Post
    That's what that is. Someone in my area has one. It did not age well, but I suppose that's not atypical for kit cars from the era.
    And that's the same risk we run with a design like Rodney's.....aging well. Not saying his will or won't, but the more 'out-there' or 'agressive' a design is considered today - the more likely it will not age well. And of all the designs on the table, Rodney's is by far the biggest one to be at risk of that fate. (don't read the wrong way, not judging Rodney's...just stating a possibility)

Of course my teenage lusting was for the Esprit, which I eventually bought. The Esprit is not a whole lot more than a kit itself though.
    I completely agree. I have stated before that the 818 is simply a modern Lotus Europa. And that is just fine by me. I think that there is alot of things done right on the Europa and early Esprit that we/FFR can learn from. There are also a few blunders on those cars to learn from too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think it looks anythying like a bradley.
    Bradley looked more like a corvette stingray, a Dino and a Ferarri 308 had a mutant step-child... and not in a good way.

The only things they have in common is that they have 4 wheels, 2 doors a downward sloping hoodline.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a coincidence that the Bradley GT was mentioned. My girlfriend saw one today and sent me a picture of it on her iphone, along with this message: "What is the white thing in the middle [the Bradley]. Looks like the dodo bird of cars."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    And that's the same risk we run with a design like Rodney's.....aging well. Not saying his will or won't, but the more 'out-there' or 'agressive' a design is considered today - the more likely it will not age well. And of all the designs on the table, Rodney's is by far the biggest one to be at risk of that fate. (don't read the wrong way, not judging Rodney's...just stating a possibility)
    I'm afraid I have to agree with you.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    So what...., we should start with a boring design so it can't become boring??? I have seen a lot of Bradley GT's and this is definitely nothing like that. I would say visually this is closer to a Ferrari 458 than a Bradley. Of course not in refinement that only a production car shows but you could get that from a $10k Nissan versa. Power windows door locks ash trays lighters....
    And that's the same risk we run with a design like Rodney's.....aging well. Not saying his will or won't, but the more 'out-there' or 'agressive' a design is considered today - the more likely it will not age well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kitcarj View Post
    So what...., we should start with a boring design so it can't become boring??? I have seen a lot of Bradley GT's and this is definitely nothing like that. I would say visually this is closer to a Ferrari 458 than a Bradley. ........
    Apparently you missed the part where I said I wasn't judging Rodney's design. I think Rodney has made great strides. If you design for boring, you'll get boring - So, I'm not sure what your trying to say.

What I'm trying to say is that nobody can tell where trends and opinions will be in 20 years. So, yes...TODAY you can say it doesn't look anything like a Bradley GT and looks more like a Ferrari. You cannot garauntee you will be able to say the same thing down the road. There are MANY folks who drooled over those VW based kits years ago but who won't admit it anymore. There are also many who still drool over them. Hell, some of those "horrible" kits are just a few modern details from being up-to-date, HoF knockouts.

Either way, I said it's more of a risk of an edgy design...which it is.
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 11-12-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he means the fiberglass version of a rust bucket with faded gell coat, not that the design suffered. I would still drive a nice version of a Bradley GT. I drove a VW based Vokaro for 10 yrs. Of course a lot of those old designs like the Bradley had simpler surfaces that date them some.

Post Thanks / Like
    What does it matter if it doesn't age well. At 15k it becomes a disposable car. Just buy the next FFR.

Or who knows FFR or some third party might bring out different bodies in the coming yeras.

Personally I love the Napalm Orange car, I would even go as far as saying it is one of the most beautiful designs I have seen for a very long time. If this goes into production I would not hesitate in buying one, hell I might even buy two one for the road and one for the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...nice version of a Bradley GT...
    That is an oxymoron.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say visually this is closer to a Ferrari 458 than a Bradley.
    You may be right, and many younger people may not be aware of the original Bradley GT and could care less about it and kit car history. This could be a generational thing, I'm 51 and say all versions of the "O'" design scream "Kit Car", but I still manage to really like it overall. If I did not like it at all, I would spend zero time (and effort) exploring different aspects and attempting to add input, and to do schemes of my own based on it.

I can see the point:
    Ferrari-O-kach22i-Blue Side.jpg

The point may also be made with the "O" + oldpro + kach22i proposal:
    Ferrari-kach22i-olpro-Blue Side.jpg

The straight line window sill is actually less related somehow - most people did not like this one, went too far.
    Ferrari-Modified-Blue Side.jpg
    Last edited by kach22i; 11-12-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, the Olmos design is too comic and screams kit car, I'm 52 and like George I'm looking for something that is more classic and less over the top, most of the other top designs are classicly designed.

I like Xabier's, and Vmans the best and Whetstone's in that order and could be very happy with any of the 3 in a targa type "roadster". Living in Maine I can't live without some sort of rudamentary top since any sort of weather forecast isn't reliable... I loved the Spyder and was ready to pop for one when they stopped production but the top that was discussed never happened. And look at that car, a top would have been relatively simple...

Nuphone's rear/engine cover is too much for me and makes a simple top almost impossible to make, it's a bit too S2000 like in the front as well

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he means the fiberglass version of a rust bucket with faded gell coat, not that the design suffered. I would still drive a nice version of a Bradley GT. I drove a VW based Vokaro for 10 yrs. Of course a lot of those old designs like the Bradley had simpler surfaces that date them some.
    Actually I really meant that it really does look like a 70's era kit car.

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Agreed, the Olmos design is too comic and screams kit car, I'm 52 and like George I'm looking for something that is more classic and less over the top, most of the other top designs are classicly designed.

I like Xabier's, and Vmans the best and Whetstone's in that order...
    I assume you're even talking about the newer rendition of the Olmos design?

This is where I think we need to agree to disagree. I would even suggest that Xabiers and Vmans are a little too tame, too safe. I don't want a safe car, I'll take a chance with a little "hot wheels" styling even if 10 years from now it appears dated. My absolute dream car is the Lancia Stratos which I'd have to say there's a hint of that styling in there. The Stratos has the same "Comic" look, but even today that car is a sight. I've considered building the kit, but doing that in the States is an expensive proposition.

I have to believe that it's in FFR's best interest to develop a product that doesn't appear cheap (regardless of the price). I also have to believe that the end product, even if FFR decide to take the Olmos design, won't match the glossy mock up images.

Whetstone's would be my second choice after Olmos' design, but even Whetstone's doesn't light my hair on fire. The other designs are non-starters for me.

On a somewhat related note, I'm sure everyone here is already aware of the Smyth Performance kit for the Jetta? I'm not a VW fan, and it's a totally different project from the 818, but I have to admit that it's a little tempting not to bite on that.

1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit : Mid-engined, turbocharged 4 cylinder... remind you of anything?

Post Thanks / Like
    oct29_06.jpg
    I drove this car for 10 years off and on.
    I guess you could say it screams Kitcar but most of you have no idea how much fun it could be.

Just having a car that no one has seen.
    Scooting along inches off the ground.
    I think this is the only vehicle I ever felt gave me the feeling that makes people say it corners like it's on rails. Unless of course the corner was bumpy like going over the hump of a railroad crossing while turning hard. It would skip then.
    My commute had a nice long hill on it and sometimes at night I would turn off the VW engine and roll silently down the hill into town. It worked great because the speed limit changed from 55-45-35-25.
    I climbed into the car by putting one hand on the roll bar and the other on top of the windshield, jump up and make a 1/4 turn counter clockwise as I slid down into the seat.
    Getting vapor lock and having to let the engine cool down.
    Running out of gas because the gauge didn't work.
    A short in the wiring making the battery (which was hidden above the front axle with no access except from underneath) go dead.
    Parking it on a hill so I could push start it myself
    One person calls it a dune buggy.
    Another said it looked like a car from Autopia at Disneyland.

Even my Wife loved it and she isn't a car person.

It wasn't a polished show car. The Red gelcoat had faded to orange.
    No heater. So one winter when it was my only car, I wore gloves, 2 coats, a scarf for the first time in my life, a stocking cap and a blanket. And I was still cold. By the way that same hill was magical with the engine off in the snow at night.

Sure I would love a kitcar that you could throw a Ferrari badge on and give an uninformed fan a ride without them realizing it isn't a Ferrari, but even if it looks like my old kitcar, it will be an experience of your life.

By the way, this is what the current owner did to it.....
    DSC00982(2).JPG
    Last edited by kitcarj; 11-13-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...the more likely it will not age well...
    With an upgrade-able and/or interchangable body(s) available from FFR or a third party, that would hardly be a big deal. Realistically though, any individual kit will likely have the same body forever.

Speaking of gel-coat fade, has UV protection improved? Or should we be looking into clear coats?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure everyone here is already aware of the Smyth Performance kit for the Jetta?
    That is a very handsome car, but something about chainsawing a working car really turns me off though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
    That is a very handsome car, but something about chainsawing a working car really turns me off though.
    Well I would use the word "working" loosely. It is a Jetta. :-)

On a serious note though, this isn't that much different than buying a WRX to grab the parts you want. Sure there's value in what's left, an the 818 is a more serious vehicle (from a performance stand point), but chopping up a Jetta to build a mid-engined car? I would almost suggest it's better use of the donor vehicle.

If I am unsatisfied with the direction of the 818 I might actually consider it.