BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Nova Scotia Inspection Information

Post Thanks / Like

Nova Scotia Inspection Information

Looking for information on the requirements for certification in Nova Scotia. Current plan is to move in 3 years or less. We have already bought the house but need to sort out life on this end before moving. Currently legal in Alberta but know that each province is different.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully someone from NS can speak up but with a quick google I concluded that as long as the vehicle is registered in another province already it's a simple paper process.
    One of the info sources: https://blog.higginsinsurance.ca/wp-...ens_010317.pdf

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Never thought about the simple transfer from another province. Looked up all the stuff about building one there and there are quite a few hoops to jump through. Will have to check with the registry office.

Norm
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question; I'm purchasing my roadster kit spring of 22, did you have to make additional mods to the Canadian kit to pass inspection? Any helpful comments would be appreciated.
    I noticed you have the heater and the Soft top - these should be standard equipment for the Canadian kit... lol
    Jeff J
    Wpg.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may help explain what you may run into in Nova Scotia.

https://novascotia.ca/sns/rmv/registration/safeinsp.asp

Inspection manual.
    https://novascotia.ca/sns/rmv/inspec...ion_manual.pdf

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The mods required to pass inspection will vary from province to province. Review your local laws and talk to an inspector would be the best route to go

Post Thanks / Like
    I built and registered my car in Nova Scotia. Initial registration requires inspection and approval by an automotive engineer (NS has selected the engineer you have to use). It was not a problem. Engineer wanted all grade 8 bolts on suspension components (FFR kit includes grade 5), he wanted glass fuel filter removed, FFR supplied Simpson harness was not acceptable, but lap belt only was. Windshield wipers have to work, you need some kind of defrost to blow air on the inside of the windshield. When I got to the NS Registry of Motor Vehicles, that took three tries to get it done. I wanted the vehicle registered as Factory Five but they insisted on HMD for homemade. Used the FFR frame number as the VIN. Used the FFR Certificate of Origin to get initial registration. You can PM me for more info. I also have a contact at NS RMV.

Then I had to go to a local garage for NS Safety Inspection (which is required every two years). No issues there - the mechanic said "everything is new, looks good."

10. Thanks Norm B thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Driver_WT. Doesn’t seem that hard. I have a few suspension bolts to change and the seat belt replacement to engineer. Have a plan for that. Looks like we will be moving there by July 2023. Lots of time to make the necessary changes.

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
    Engineer wanted all grade 8 bolts on suspension components (FFR kit includes grade 5), FFR supplied Simpson harness was not acceptable, but lap belt only was. I wanted the vehicle registered as Factory Five but they insisted on HMD for homemade.
    I wonder what the concern was having grade 5 bolts, instead of grade 8? The grade 5's have been proven with the test of time on our cars. Funny that a shoulder harness designed to help protect a person in the worst of accidents, wouldn't pass inspection. Did he offer an explanation?
    In BC, my registration shows Model-Cobra, and Make RPLKT. What did they use for Model in NS? Registration # was issued by the province, and not related to the frame number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I wonder what the concern was having grade 5 bolts, instead of grade 8? The grade 5's have been proven with the test of time on our cars. Funny that a shoulder harness designed to help protect a person in the worst of accidents, wouldn't pass inspection. Did he offer an explanation?
    In BC, my registration shows Model-Cobra, and Make RPLKT. What did they use for Model in NS? Registration # was issued by the province, and not related to the frame number.
    He did not like the shoulder harness as the occupants could not lean to the side in the event of a rollover.

The Model on NS Registration is "Roadster". tried to get them to put Factory Five as the manufacturer, but they insisted on "HMD" for homemade.

We used the FFR frame number as the VIN.