Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  47
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DLJ's build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you on the rear tubs. My car is almost complete and that has by a decent margin been the most frustrating and time consuming part. They still don't fit well, I hear them banging around like crazy when I drive so there's some trimming I still need to do, and I plan to add some more support/triangulation to keep the big flat areas from vibrating.

2. Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lpmagruder View Post
    I'm with you on the rear tubs. My car is almost complete and that has by a decent margin been the most frustrating and time consuming part. They still don't fit well, I hear them banging around like crazy when I drive so there's some trimming I still need to do, and I plan to add some more support/triangulation to keep the big flat areas from vibrating.
    Consider the mounting tabs from Zero Decibel Motorsports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by idf View Post
    Consider the mounting tabs from Zero Decibel Motorsports.
    I wasn't aware of that; it's a good idea. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Autocross

Quite pleased with the car’s first outing, an autocross in an old ¼ mile banked oval in Rockford Il. First autocross in a few decades but took a good suggestion for a shakedown before a track day in a few weeks.

So far, handling seems okay. I was concerned about and tried to induce snap oversteer with a big lifts mid-corner. The car was like, “Yes, and…?,” wasn’t bothered. Has the expected push on corner entry but neutral thru the corners; steerable with the throttle like my Cayman.
    And it’s a hot rod… When the boost comes in- with lots of whooshing noises- it gives a nice taste of power-to-weight ratio.

But mainly… nothing fell off, nothing smoked. Beyond a small yet to be identified coolant leak. Still needs work on the brake bias; the rears have barely scuffed the rotors.
    And it’s a crowd pleaser; everybody stops by to check it out…
    glam 1.jpgauto-x 2.jpgbanked 2.jpgbanking.jpg

some in-car on Youtube
    https://youtu.be/docdrIc-SYs
    Last edited by driveslikejehu; 06-05-2023 at 09:13 AM.

6. Likes Hobby Racer, blomb11, carnutdave, Rob T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First real drive/ track day

Finally got the 818 on the track. First real drive after a year and half build.

First, my setup:
    Stock 2006 STi drive train, all electronics and all 4 corners
    Falken RT-660 tires; 215/45-17 and 245/40-17
    Springs: 400# front/ 300# rear; running 17mm front sway bar

818 on track.JPGRFA.JPGtrack int.JPGwave.JPG

First impressions: Its a racecar; its stiff, raw, lots of NVH, but lots of go. Easily hitting speeds on the straights comparable to my Cayman, though laps time were much slower as I’m trying to learn it and not push too hard. Fun to heel and toe once again.

Learnings/ things to fix: My temporary IC air flow was inadequate. I have a 2 sensor IAT gage and “cooled” air wasn’t much cooler. I’m working on scoops and better ducting to get air to/thru the IC, but didn’t get them finished. Then we’ll see if another option is needed.
    Shifting got tight, locked up. I’ll post more detail in the trans section. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...fter-locked-up

Handling was pretty great. I’m still getting use to the idea of no nannies, but every drive builds confidence. I noticed definite understeer turning in to corners at first. This seemed to improve when the tires got a bit of heat. Thru the corners seemed very stable, plenty of grip. Any power oversteer seems modest and controlled, though I wasn’t really booting it out of corners.

Brakes are strong but need more rear bias. I used about half the adjustment in the Wilwood dual MC setup and a turn or two on the proportioning valve, but still lock up a front on occasion. Rear brakes aren’t in the game much.

Cooling seemed adequate. On a sunny 92deg day I never got the temp gage in the stock dash out of the middle. I plan to verify if this working properly but seems to be. Oil temp got to maybe 240. Not too concerned about this but I’d like to hear thoughts on it.

Overall successful first outing I think.
    Last edited by driveslikejehu; 06-26-2023 at 07:14 AM.

8. Likes Hobby Racer, blomb11, Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IC scoops

I’ve been working on IC scoops that go where the stock ones did, are a bit bigger and can help to clean up the awkward area caused by the R rollbar.
    I cut off the forward reaching arms of the engine cover and used these to build on. I glassed on a floor and some side pieces, then started making the shape with polystyrene foam. This stuff works well with the epoxy and glass.
    rt scoop 1.jpg
    rt sccop 4.jpg
    rt scoop 2.jpgrt scoop 6.jpgPXL_20230618_185248536.jpg

When I got pretty close to the shape, I added 2 layers of 6oz glass. I cut out the pink foam with a repurposed long filleting knife.
    PXL_20230726_141240251.jpg

I added brackets on the frame and upper side area as shown with yellow arrows. I worked out a way to attach the forward side end of the engine cover with a dzus fastener that is reached down in the scoop.
    scoop brkts w arr.jpgun dzusd.jpg rt scoop fit.jpg

Pretty happy with how this is looking and early testing suggests I’m getting decent delta-T thru the IC. Next track day will really tell the tale on that.
    Last edited by driveslikejehu; 07-30-2023 at 02:48 PM.

10. Likes blomb11, mikeb75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Registration Inspection

After application was 8 weeks in the bureaucracy, the State Police came and inspected my car. Approved! Got the Illinois VIN to prove it. Easy peasy; the only thing that had me worried was how the parking lights don't get enough volts unless the engine is running. He didn't ask, so okay...
    9-12-23.jpg
    SP 1.jpgVIN not.jpg
    Last edited by driveslikejehu; 09-12-2023 at 11:37 AM.

12. Likes blomb11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heck yea that is awesome congrats! And secretly super jealous

14. Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    Heck yea that is awesome congrats! And secretly super jealous
    Thanks! The benefits of being retired; plenty of project time

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice work on those scoops!

Maybe tape some strings in front of them and go for a drive just to make sure air is flowing in. I remember reading that the rear/side scoops on the original Cobra Daytona worked in reverse due to the windshield causing a huge dead spot. They added the deflectors to the sides of the windshield to keep the airflow attached.

Post Thanks / Like

Street Legal!

Got the tags and title in the mail! Just in time to take the wife out to celebrate our 35th anniversary.
    1st drive.jpg
    Just like a real car...

18. Likes jbs72697, Raven225 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Homemade splitter

Don't know if I need a splitter, but I did need a winter project I could do in the basement. Plywood core with 2 plys of 6oz glass epoxied on either side. Didn't try to make it perfect as I expect it'll get damaged.

sptr bot glass.jpgsplt top.jpgslptr 2.jpgspltr 1.jpg

20. Likes Hobby Racer, Rob T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome!

22. Thanks driveslikejehu thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Diffuser; another basement project

I decided to make a diffuser to partially close off the parachute like rear bumper. Made the mold using insulation foam and plywood with a couple of layers of epoxy filler. Then laid it up with 2 layers of 6oz woven around 2 layers of mat. Very flexible but came out pretty well.
    PXL_20240329_150232705~2.jpgplug.jpg,on mold.jpg,diff qtr lw.jpgdiff rear up.jpg
    Now that its warmer, time get back in the garage.

24. Likes blomb11, jbs72697, BigDanSubaru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I want to do the same thing rather than buy the FFR one which they probably don't sell anymore anyways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12