FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for touring advice for a "Leaves trip" next year!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for touring advice for a "Leaves trip" next year!

Hey folks,

I'll be taking the wife out to the coast for a leaves tour in Oct 2022. Trying to figure out before Xmas as a gift. So many great routes I'm sure. I was looking into flying into Logan and heading north to Lake Winnipisaukee (maybe the Lakehouse) for two nights and hitting the Kancamugus HWY and heading east to Portland ME for a couple nights and down the coast to FFR. Anyone have connections at the B&Bs or awesome ideas, I'm all ears!!! Would love to see a couple FFR's along the way too!

P.S. The wife loves LOBSTAAHH!!! So do I!

Erik
    Last edited by ehansen007; 11-29-2021 at 11:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have traveled extensively in my career with work to be accomplished as the goal. Large travel hubs like Logan are a stressful obstacle to enjoyment. My wife set-up Logan for our Maine fall tour, I objected.
    We changed our destination to Portland ME which is smaller and much more manageable. Leaving the airport we were on a beach within two miles.
    We traversed the coastline to Bar Harbour and Acadia National Park. It was terrific with great B&Bs along the way. The restaurants were wonderful, especially in Portland.
    jim
    Last edited by J R Jones; 11-29-2021 at 03:19 PM.

3. Thanks ehansen007 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Kancamugus is fantastic. I've driven it many times. Almost yearly.

The Conway scenic train is also great and provides a ride up the "Notch" and some fantastic views not available by car.

https://www.conwayscenic.com/excursions/

They also offer a lunch and dinner train.

The cog is another fun one up Mt. Washington: https://www.thecog.com/

Both those trains are heavily booked and advanced reservations are certainly a thing.

I live in southern New Hampshire and we vacation frequently in the Conway/Mt Washington area. A really nice place to stay is the Mountain View Grand. https://www.mountainviewgrand.com/
    It's one of the last old grand hotels and is really a trip back in time. Pre-covid we went there every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

If you share the dates you're there, and weather permitting, I could do some drive bys and even do a Kancamugus run in the Cobra.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

5. Thanks ehansen007 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What time in October? Plan on the first part as by later in the month most of the foliage will have gone by. Best time is the first 2 weeks and the 12th of October weekend is always a big leaf peepers weekend.

7. Thanks ehansen007 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to FFR's facility twice and both times my wife and I stayed at a B&B called The Belfry in nearby Sandwich, Mass., just across the bridge on the cape. It's an old church converted into a B&B and restaurant. I'd stay there again without hesitation. Not cheap but you get what you pay for, maybe more.

9. Thanks ehansen007 thanked for this post