FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering: Feedback

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering: Feedback

Alrighty then.

Since the total number of Power Steering Controllers "out in the world" now is about 40-50 units, and they have been "out there" for a couple years now, I would like to ask for some feedback from users.

I am in the middle of updating and packaging the units so that a more of a "kit" type product is available. The picture below represents a prototype for the unit to be in a sealed case, vibration mounted, mil spec wired, etc. It will, of course, be a bit more costly than just the circuit board, but rest assured that I will still provide the bare board to GTM folks for a very reasonable $$. Really have no plans of changing the pricing at this point unless something drastic changes with the board, but that doesn't look likely.

So what I am needing from those that are using the product are replies that tell me if you are satified with the product? What you would change about it? Any isuues you had with either hardware or software with the product, etc.

Rest assured that this is a part of product development and I will IN NO WAY take offense to any opinions anyone has to say.

Some of the things I am considering right now:

Need to know if the cut out curve is generally correct and what people have done to modify their particular units.

I am seperating the programming holes and rheostat option holes so that programming can be easily done AFTER all soldering is done.

I am considering putting the electronics into a custom made SEALED aluminum or plastic box that will be vibration mounted with four rubber isolation posts.

I am considering prewiring the inputs and outputs and terminating them into a single sealed connector.

I am entirely open to suggestions on software settings and will determine if a better default value is advisable based upon users input.

Remember, this product was inspired and developed by people making suggestions on a forum board, so your opinions DO matter, and will definitely lead to a better product.

Also, if you have any experience with varying racks or electric pumps, I would love to hear those also.

Thanks everyone.

crash
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Installed mine during the "rebuild"......controller is at original settings and works great. ( MR 2 pump ) Driving at slow speeds and parking is much easier and makes driving the car more enjoyable while not losing any feel at speed (+25-30 mph).

Mounting the board in a box with a pigtail connector and also including the pigtail connectors for the pump would help considerably.
    FYI, I used Dave Bordens pump mount and that worked out great also.

Knowing what I paid for parts alone your $1000 dollar estimate including all the pieces would be a great deal.

Keep up the good work.........!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So you have driven the car before and after and prefer the car after installing the power steering?

I am wondering the same thing. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I know driving in the country or freeways will be fine but what happens in traffic or a congested parking lot when power steering makes life a little happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't even know there was a PS option available for the GTM. I'd still like to feel what a manual box feels like with
    such a light frame, but I want to keep this in my pocket in case the car is too difficult to control at lower speeds.

Nice user manual and instructions!
    http://www.myraceshop.com/Power_Stee...roller MJS.pdf
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 11-17-2011 at 05:45 AM.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    To tell you the truth, those instruction, IMHO, need some work.

That will also be addressed here in the coming months.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts