Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AT LAST! First Mendeola Production Transaxles Ship

Post Thanks / Like
    I am number 14 on the list from what I can tell, bad luck for me. Just got word on Sunday that I'm going to work in Australia for 4-5 months, so I'm just gonna wait it out for the 3.55 gear set. Wish I could have gotten more done on mine this winter, now it's gonna have to sit for another year. Oh well, I'd just as soon it be perfect when it arrives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Cory,
    Where will you be staying while you're in Oz?

Rohan

Post Thanks / Like
    Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like
    So just wondering about the quality of 1-13 r&p. Was this isolated to a later lot or will there be issues for the first set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously Ian is going to have the definitive answer on this, but THIS is EXACTLY what I was talking about when I said that these gear boxes are like fine watches. From what I have seen EVERY SINGLE PART in these transaxles is inspected when it comes from the manufacturer, and then fitted to the transaxle with many, MANY checks for tolerance and precision. I know there was an issue with gear sets, and I am pretty sure there was also an issue with R&Ps on the first batch of transaxles. These issues, along with TONS of other details are what takes so long to make sure they are correct BEFORE THEY SHIP TO YOU. IMHO, most of you guys have NO IDEA what goes into these transaxles, and what a smokin deal even $10k for one of these is.

I thought about making a video of the assembly process, but, frankly, I don't have the time.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mekg8tor View Post
    So just wondering about the quality of 1-13 r&p. Was this isolated to a later lot or will there be issues for the first set.
    Good question.
    This has nothing to do with the quality of the Ring & Pinion cut.
    It is a heat treat malfunction.
    We manufactured 100 ring gears blanks.
    We tried a heat treat process that was to give us a better part for wear-ability.
    A lot of 50 Rings & Pinions were sent to heat treat and 13 rings are the only ones deemed usable after heat treat.(turned in to a potato-chip)
    The other 50 Rings were cut and sitting on the floor awaiting Pinion heads to be made.(This has been done)
    The correction to the Heat-treating process has been made for future manufacturing.
    They are currently at heat treat and will be lapped and matched by mid February.

The 4.11 has been offered as a substitute with a proposed swap out to the 3.55 in the Spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    February 2
    Mendeola how about an up date on the sdr. Will any be shipping mid February? Where are we at?
    Thanks
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    How are things looking for the month of February?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Brown View Post
    How are things looking for the month of February?
    We have just received word that the Pinions will be delayed till March due to a machine they run on is down.
    They could not give me when in March time frame.
    The offer still stands for those that will opt. for the 4.11 ratio and later change to the 3.55 when in stock.
    Please feel free to contact us at: 619-710-8800 ext.109
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update

Post Thanks / Like
    We're well into March at this point, could we get an update please? At this stage, I'm surprised we have to keep pulling teeth for information.

Does anyone have an update?

Frustrated in Columbia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dreabrown View Post
    We're well into March at this point, could we get an update please? At this stage, I'm surprised we have to keep pulling teeth for information.

Does anyone have an update?

Frustrated in Columbia.
    Yes, the ring and pinions are due to be released mid to tail end of March was the last update to FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendeola Transaxles View Post
    Yes, the ring and pinions are due to be released mid to tail end of March was the last update to FFR.
    So this information was provided to FFR already? OK...and what does that mean for the estimated delivery time on the pre-ordered units? How long after you receive the ring and pinions will units begin shipping?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    It is March 21, 2012 how about an up date on shipping for the SDR.
    Thanks
    Leonard

Post Thanks / Like
    How is April looking for the transaxles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Called Ian today. He was told parts are on the way. If this is true I should see mine shortly after Easter. I believe that I!m number 15 on the list. How ever ff5 has not told him I!m number 15 as yet. I hope this stays on schedule.
    Leonard
    GTM no 284

Post Thanks / Like

Torque rating of transaxle

A question for Mendeola please.
    Can you tell me the maximum torque that the transaxle will handle?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRev View Post
    A question for Mendeola please.
    Can you tell me the maximum torque that the transaxle will handle?
    thanks
    The SDR Stage 1 was designed to handle the E-ROD kit= 6.2-liter LS3 crate engine, rated at 430 horsepower and 424 lb.-ft. of torque.
    We will hold these numbers, 500hp and 450 lb.-ft of torque in a 2200 lb. mid engine vehicle with a 26" tall by 12" wide tire for warranty purposes.
    Please understand the numbers are useless without the overall platform of the vehicle taken in to consideration.

Thank you-Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    The SDR Stage 1 was designed to handle the E-ROD kit= 6.2-liter LS3 crate engine, rated at 430 horsepower and 424 lb.-ft. of torque.
    We will hold these numbers, 500hp and 450 lb.-ft of torque in a 2200 lb. mid engine vehicle with a 26" tall by 12" wide tire for warranty purposes.
    Please understand the numbers are useless without the overall platform of the vehicle taken in to consideration.

Thank you-Ian
    My query was with respect to the GTM as you outlined.

Can the transaxle be upgraded to handle 650 ft lbs torque in the GTM?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Ian,
    would it be safe to say that with all the down time your company has had on the SDR project you have the remaining 21ready to assemble and ship as soom as you have the reworked part in you hands? And would it be safe to say that you will be ready to take new orders?

I am so looking forward to one of your SDR's, it looks like a piece of jewelery. I ordered my kit after watching the vid from Dave S., the updates on the GEN 2, featureing the new box(http://youtu.be/Ie9ArhJFlvs). Soon after the problems started. Knowing the build would take quite some time I wasn't worried that I would be able to get one when I was finally ready. I plan on haveing a trans in my hands in about 3 months, should I hold off the investigation on the Porsche trans? Will you be ready to fill new orders in the next month or so?

Also in the vid, Dave states that the box will be good for 600 hp, seems that you feel different about the power it will handle in the GTM?

Thanks,
    Gene

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gene and Ian.

I'm not sure if others are aware, but the SDR box is not the only transmission that Mendeola builds and sells that will work in the GTM. There are others available, they're just a bit more advanced, and cost a bit more. It may be worth checking into for specifics. When started planning my build, I was on the fence as to whether or not to spend the money for a new Mendeola box, or find a Porsche box that could be re-worked. As it turned out, my kit came with a rebuilt G50/01, so I went with that.

I'm sure that Ian or Crash can straighten me out if I'm wrong about this, but it may be an option for those who have been waiting for so long, and for those who may still be waiting to buy.

http://mendeolamotors.com/trans-prot...d=56&Itemid=68

The S4 / S5 are Medium duty and rated from 425 to 600 hp. The SD4 sequential or SD5 are labeled heavy duty gear boxes rated for 600 to 1000 hp. It may be worth a phone call to check them out.

I guess the real question is whether or not these boxes can be used in Mid Engine configuration or if they can be inverted.
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-29-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Stig, you are exactly right about there being other models available. However, the sequential models are really a "race only" variant as they do not have synchros and are LOUD when shifted. Not at all what one would want for the street. The Stage II SDR however, has some different internals that takes the price up quite a bit, but also substantially increases the loading capabilities. I don't have the numbers in my head, but Ian can certainly rattle them off if whomever is interested gives him a call.

As far as inversion goes, the Mendeola boxes are designed to be able to be configured either rear or mid engine from the get go, so the only difference is the ring and pinion design, and which side of the transaxle the ring gear ends up on. Obviously this is all done internally, but the ring and pinions can be swapped out to turn a mid engined transaxle into a rear engined transaxle, and visa versa, very easily.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Crash. I just hate seeing everyone waiting and waiting on the SDR. I know that in some cases, the additional price may be prohibitive. But to others is may make sense...
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRev View Post
    My query was with respect to the GTM as you outlined.

Can the transaxle be upgraded to handle 650 ft lbs torque in the GTM?

thanks
    Yes, it can in the SDR stage II.

Post Thanks / Like
    "would it be safe to say that with all the down time your company has had on the SDR project you have the remaining 21ready to assemble and ship as soon as you have the reworked part in you hands?" Yes

And would it be safe to say that you will be ready to take new orders? We have already started taken new orders.

Will you be ready to fill new orders in the next month or so? Yes

Also in the vid, Dave states that the box will be good for 600 hp, seems that you feel different about the power it will handle in the GTM? Everyones build is different. We feel it can handle more but have to put something down on paper. The GTM really dosn't need more than 500hp in a LS based motor with the sold platform FFR supplies.

Post Thanks / Like
    "would it be safe to say that with all the down time your company has had on the SDR project you have the remaining 21ready to assemble and ship as soon as you have the reworked part in you hands?" Yes

And would it be safe to say that you will be ready to take new orders? We have already started taken new orders.

Will you be ready to fill new orders in the next month or so? Yes

Also in the vid, Dave states that the box will be good for 600 hp, seems that you feel different about the power it will handle in the GTM? Everyones build is different. We feel it can handle more but have to put something down on paper. The GTM really dosn't need more than 500hp in a LS based motor with the sold platform FFR supplies.
    Thank you very much,
    Gene

Post Thanks / Like
    And by the way, I feel for you guys and what your'e going threw. Good luck, and I hope to be a future customer.
    Thanks again,
    Gene

Post Thanks / Like
    Gene,

I talked with Ian today and you can order a SDR tansaxle from him. The only problem is that he can only supply the 4:11 gearing. He has these in stock and can ship ASP. Factory Five has the rights to the 3:55 gear ratio. Ian says that there is about a 200 RPM diff between the two ratios. With the rims from Factory Five with the 335 30 18 rubber these are the RPM that he has calculated. With the 3:55 you would run about 2420 RPM as to 2690 RPM with the 4:11. These were just ball park numbers. (At 70 MPH)
    I hope this helps as I am still wanting the 3:55 ratio for the lower RPM in top gear.

Later, Doug
    Last edited by Edgeman; 03-29-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Doug.
    That rpm is at 60mph? So if the ls2 red lines at 7000, what top speed does that figure to be? Seems my favorite type of driving is quik bursts to 120 or so.
    Do you guys think I would be happy with the shorter gear?

Gene

Post Thanks / Like
    That was at 70 mph, from Ian. I am willing to wait alittle bit longer as I dont need this yet but if it comes down to it, I will be going with the 4:11. I too bought this GTM from the original post with all the upgrades to the Gen II including the mendeola.
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it can in the SDR stage II.
    Could you please provide the specs for the SDR Stage II?
    When will it be available?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we run the 4:11 and our top speed is about 140 MPH on the Thunderhill straight away with 380 RWHP. Top speed in 5th at 6500 RPM would come out to around ~196 MPH if we had a longer straight or more HP. I think that is plenty fast, don't you? I think the biggest problem is probably the exhaust note. Cruising at under 3k is not that bad, unless the exhaust or intake is really loud...IMHO.

Yes, AFAIK, the SDR Stage II is currently available. It was designed and built WAY before the FFR SDR.
    Last edited by crash; 04-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

GTM Builder/Owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    I belive that acmikee has a Stage II.
    GTM #26
    Stock LS-6. PHII G50-50, Shane's Louvers, Nordskog Dash, Shaved Door Handles,
    David Borden's Aluminum Dash Cover for Nordskog Dash,
    Roll Bar Covers -- http://quickracingproducts.com/html/interior.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump, any updates?
    GTM #370
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Bump, any updates?
    Um...what type of an update would you like?

Mendeola is taking orders right now for boxes.

Feedback from installed units has been very positive.

Interested? Call Mendeola at 619-710-8800 ex 110.

www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Edgeman View Post
    Bump, any updates?
    We starting to ship them out again.

Post Thanks / Like
    So how many from the original order of 15 or so are left to be shipped? Considering building my fourth GTM for SEMA 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you have to go through FFR to get the 3:55 gear ratio box?
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Do you have to go through FFR to get the 3:55 gear ratio box?
    I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and that was the case. They would sell me one with 4.10's but not 3.55's, untill the ffr sold transmissions were shipped.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    So how many from the original order of 15 or so are left to be shipped? Considering building my fourth GTM for SEMA 2012
    What happened to your third GTM Gary? So much for keeping it?
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast