Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 donor computer removal

Post Thanks / Like

818 donor computer removal

Does anyone have a good way to remove the computer from the Impreza donor short of a crowbar with its specializes connectors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures to jog memories? I don’t recall it being an issue when I pulled a spare from the pick n pull.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is just held in by a couple of 10 mm nuts. 2004_subaru_impreza_ecu.jpeg

If your talking removing the connectors. If I recall correctly, they just pull out. No locking tab, just heald in by friction.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 01-14-2022 at 03:09 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are indeed locking tabs for each connector. Press the tab toward the body of the connector. The tabs are close to the wire exit side on each connector. The tab should bend about 1/8" or so before it will let the connector pull out. They can be in pretty snug, but avoid pulling directly on wires, or you'll be troubleshooting a bad connection (pin not fully inserted in shell), later on.

They (lock tabs) may be on the side facing the floor - hard to see. I reached in there with a portable bandsaw on one car and just sawed the whole harness off in about 1 second, dealt with the connectors later on. But I planned on rewiring the whole mess anyway...

Some pix:

The tab is the high part at the back of the connector between fingers in this one:

The tabs are the little rectangular shaped nibs at the top-center-back of each connector in this one: (transmission computer shown on top of an ECU. Same type connectors in both cases.

Last edited by aquillen; 01-15-2022 at 02:35 PM.