FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: passenger comfort + safety

Post Thanks / Like

passenger comfort + safety

Hey all,

I've always loved the FIA cars. I ordered a 427 MK4 because I want my wife to be safe and comfortable (well, as comfy as you can be in a car like this). However, I can't stop dreaming about the 289 FIA.

A few questions:
    1. Does the forward rollbar beam interfere with the passenger room? Does it make it uncomfortable?
    2. This will only have one rollbar. Is that a major risk? Obviously I won't have anyone with me in a track and with my wife, I drive like a grandma (even my motorcycle). But there's always a small risk of someone else doing something and causing a rollover. I suspect these cars have a fairly low centre of gravity so shouldn't be that easy to roll?
    3. I like the traditional 289 layout. But it'll also be a cruiser and I need to be able to see the speed. How do you guys manage that? It is doable to look at the speedometer on the passenger side?

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the 289, it’s comfortable for the passenger, in fact the “petty” bar helps getting in and out. I had FFR substitute the standard dash layout. I added a passenger roll bar, my wife insisted. I think they charged me $200 for the 2nd bar. How effective it will be without a 3rd leg is debatable.E62CCFD7-2B10-485C-B19A-5BA8660BC56A.jpegCF69A368-1DED-4FE7-B165-5D75F8CC08C0.jpeg
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Same experience as Chuck. The bar helps my wife get in and out. She typically doesn't ride with me though, combination of noise, smell and too much sun and attention.

I have the FIA dash and the speedo is mostly useless, I use a GPS app on my phone.

Not sure that there is any difference in safety/comfort between the 289 and MKIV. They are the same under the skin.
    Last edited by cnutting; 01-27-2022 at 08:48 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Both your cars are gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by cnutting View Post
    Same experience as Chuck. The bar helps my wife get in and out. She typically doesn't ride with me though, combination of noise, smell and too much sun and attention.
    Thanks. Also an amazing car and beautiful colour!

5. Thanks cnutting thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These cars are not what I'd call safe compared to any modern car. They are a lot more like a motorcycle than a car when it comes to risk of injury if someone hits you. That said, you really need to be aware of your surroundings while driving them. The roll bars might help in a roll-over or might not given how they are assembled. I'd be even more skeptical of the passenger side bar with no third leg providing any real protection, but I suppose it's better than nothing at all. Just be safe and drive with your head, not your right foot and keep your head on a swivel at all times.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Back around 2005-2010 or so, there were a lot of owners who built a single, full width roll bar.

In this case, I would think that a full width bar , (with the forward "Petty bar"), might be worth considering.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

Post Thanks / Like
    That's exactly what I did Derald. The petty bar does not cause any problem for the passenger, and as mentioned earlier, makes it easier to enter and exit for the passenger. Some don't like the look of a full width bar, but I prefer it over the two roll bar choice. If anyone is interested, contact Frank, frankeski (sp) is screen name. He can provide one, and you can even get high brake lights installed in them.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is what I’d do if I had the opportunity at the time of my build.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys have pictures of th at? I am very intrigued.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a previous life my first car started with a single bar. I switched to a full width, didn't have the forward bar to the passenger footwell although I would have liked that. Liked the full width.
    Second car came with two hoops, hated them and switched to a full width, a great improvement.
    In both cars I had to modify the mounts and methods of attachment. Had great help from a friend that is an excellent fabricator.
    If I was to build an FIA/289 car it would have a full width bar and forward support bar. Same for a traditional Mk4. The Challenge Car covers all the bases.
    Jim

12. Likes zee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get the 289 car if that's the car you want and get an aftermarket full width roll bar. Just make sure FFR doesn't do the cutouts in the fiberglass for the factory roll bar.
    https://www.whitbymotorcars.com/prod...l-width-hoops/

14. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forget trying to get one from Whitbys. Talk to Frank, (frankeeski), here on the forum. I spent close to two years calling them every couple of weeks trying to get them to make me a full width bar. They were always "too busy". Frank will take care of you. He understands customer service, and he can also provide high brake lights in the bar as well. You won't be sorry!
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

16. Thanks zee thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One more follow-up question. Does the forward "petty" bar interfere wth the driver? Does it touch your shoulder or take room away?

Thanks.

(In an ideal world money would be no issue and I'd build a MKIV and a 289 FIA. But we don't live in an ideal world).
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it doesn't interfere at all. Here's a photo from behind to give some more perspective.

FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

19. Thanks zee thanked for this post