Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greg's '35 Hot Rod Truck

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job on the wipers. I wish I had seen your build thread before I finished my 35 truck

2. Thanks Sbda4 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job on your truck build. Appreciate all the ideas and mods you posted. I'm going to steal one of them for my rear fender bracing. Can you show some pictures and describe how you handled the inside bottom edge of the door windows? I'm really struggling with that on mine. I don't care for the transition from the provided weatherstrip around the other three sides. Plus the gap between the door fiberglass and glass on mine is way too wide to use the weatherstrip they provided. Thanks!
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Inside Door Weatherstrip to Glass

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Awesome job on your truck build. Appreciate all the ideas and mods you posted. I'm going to steal one of them for my rear fender bracing. Can you show some pictures and describe how you handled the inside bottom edge of the door windows? I'm really struggling with that on mine. I don't care for the transition from the provided weatherstrip around the other three sides. Plus the gap between the door fiberglass and glass on mine is way too wide to use the weatherstrip they provided. Thanks!
    Edward, Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately my windows are a disappointing part of my build and I hope to find a better solution. I attached pictures of my weatherstrip installation. The transitions at the front and rear are awkward since the width of the 2 weatherstrip styles is different. The inside gap to the glass is also very wide, about 7/16" rear, 7/16" middle and 1/4" front. I would really like a better solution for this. I thought of using the blade style weatherstrip FFR provided for the front of the dash, but it is far too rigid to bend at the corners to meet the upper felt weatherstrip and the blade is so rigid I think it will add a lot of resistance to the glass and likely impact the movement of the windows up and down. I am on the lookout for a better solution. Pictures attached to illustrate.

Good luck with a better solution.

Greg

Window Gap Front copy - IMG_5251.JPGWindow Gap Middle copy - IMG_5250.JPGWindow Gap Rear copy - IMG_5249.JPGDriver Window Gap copy - IMG_5255.JPGDriver Door Rear copy - IMG_5245.JPGDrivers Door Front copy - IMG_5246.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbda4 View Post
    Edward, Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately my windows are a disappointing part of my build and I hope to find a better solution. I attached pictures of my weatherstrip installation. The transitions at the front and rear are awkward since the width of the 2 weatherstrip styles is different. The inside gap to the glass is also very wide, about 7/16" rear, 7/16" middle and 1/4" front. I would really like a better solution for this. I thought of using the blade style weatherstrip FFR provided for the front of the dash, but it is far too rigid to bend at the corners to meet the upper felt weatherstrip and the blade is so rigid I think it will add a lot of resistance to the glass and likely impact the movement of the windows up and down. I am on the lookout for a better solution. Pictures attached to illustrate.

Good luck with a better solution.

Greg
    Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the response and pictures. Clearly you're not alone because mine is exactly the same and I agree one of the more disappointing aspects of the build. I too considered that blade style weatherstrip material and also decided it was too stiff. I'll keep trying to figure something out.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

6. Likes Sbda4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the response and pictures. Clearly you're not alone because mine is exactly the same and I agree one of the more disappointing aspects of the build. I too considered that blade style weatherstrip material and also decided it was too stiff. I'll keep trying to figure something out.
    I finally got around to addressing the lower inner door to window gap. I used a larger bulb seal as you described in your build thread and it worked well. It is a major improvement from the FFR cat-head seal with a large gap. An added benefit is that is stops the window from shaking when partially or all the way down and driving. Thanks again for the ideal.

8. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Likes edwardb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, I've got the extended cab on order, scheduled to be completed April 8,23. Wondering if you would consider sharing the details (ie measurement, materials, drawings, etc.) so as to allow the duplication of your front bumper ? I think it's a great idea and extremely functional. Thanks, DonS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    Greg, I've got the extended cab on order, scheduled to be completed April 8,23. Wondering if you would consider sharing the details (ie measurement, materials, drawings, etc.) so as to allow the duplication of your front bumper ? I think it's a great idea and extremely functional. Thanks, DonS
    Congratulations on your order. I found it both fun and challenging to build. I am very happy with the results. I wish the extended cab was available when I built mine, but it is what it is.

When I fabricated the bumper, I experimented with different scraps of steel I had on hand until I arrived at a design I was comfortable with. My primary goal was to protect the grill if I ever pulled up too close to a parking curb; it is not a full function bumper. I also wanted to provided a safe location under the car that I could easily use to lift it with a jack (use a floor jack under front or rear support). Attached is a quick drawing I made to provide some detail for you.

Hot Rod Bumper -- 2022-12-19.jpg

11. Thanks mkassab thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks so much.

13. Likes Sbda4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you send the measurements for the 2 holes drilled for the wipers. Also,what is the length of your wiper arms?

Post Thanks / Like

Wipers

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loutonx2 View Post
    Can you send the measurements for the 2 holes drilled for the wipers. Also,what is the length of your wiper arms?
    Bob, The holes are 18-1/2” on center and 1/2” above the cowl. The drivers side hole is 12” from the windshield recess. The wipers are 11” long. The wiper arms are 8-1/2”.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. That will help me a lot.

17. Likes Sbda4 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good evening Greg. My 35 truck will be delivered in just two months, my wife and I are discussing how we would like to finish the interior. She is dead set on a bench seat (her little dog loves to ride) I am very impressed with your seat fabrication work and look forward to all the build challenges. My question to you is:

What is the interior width in the cab? There are several aftermarket bench seats available, but I want to find one that will fold forward or I can do a flip design as you have done, however the width, both at the seat and at the shoulders is going to be the determining factor. Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I haven’t been on the forum for awhile so just saw your question. Part of the motivation for using the vintage racing buckets is that they have minimal space required in the back since they have minimal padding. This is a way to get more leg room.

At the back of the door opening, the shoulder width is 49.5 inches and at the door sill the width is only 44 inches. The cab is narrower at the front than the back. So, at the front of the seats, the inside width is 48.5 inches at the window opening, 43.5 inches at the arm rests, and 44 inches at the door sill.

Hope this helps. - Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12