Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Wheels and the effects of smaller backspacing?

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels and the effects of smaller backspacing?

We’re thinking about these wheels but would like a little more depth on the fronts.

USWheels Truck.png

Specifically, we're thinking of reducing the backspacing from 5” to 3.5”. Are there any concerns other than pushing the wheels out from the body 1.5" on either side... like negative impacts on handling or steering, other concerns we should be aware of?

Pictured:
    •Rear 20”x11” w/6” backspace/0 offset (pictured)
    •Front 17”x8” w/5” backspace/0 offset (pictured)

But on the front, we want 9” width with the backspacing reduced to 3.5”.

Thoughts?
    33’ Hot Rod - Gen 2. BluePrint Engine Small Block Chevy 383, carbureted, 700R4 automatic transmission

Post Thanks / Like
    Two concerns are will the wheel hit anything - bodywork, suspension, chassis - and the geometry changes. But I've never seen posted what the perfect wheel offset is and even FFR's cars have used wheels with different offsets.

Read about scrub radius here: https://www.suspensiondesigner.com/k...centre-offset/

The short version though, is that you'll probably not notice. Camber, caster, toe will make more difference to your handling. I added an inch spacer to my wheels to improve my geometry, but couldn't feel it. You can read about my calculations starting at post 484 and read #488.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

3. Likes NAZ liked this post