BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hotrod and U-Haul car hauler

Senior Member golfobsessed71@gmail.com's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hotrod and U-Haul car hauler

Anyone load a FFR 33 on to a U-Haul trailer with no issues, I will use 2x6 boards at front of the ramps and raise the tongue as much as it will go but does the bottom clear ok and front overhang?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a U Haul pickup and the 6 x 12 utility trailer with ramp. All the boxes (more or less) went into the bed of the pickup and the frame with body on dropped into the trailer. Note that the body/chassis is too wide to fit out the rear gate of the trailer due to a smaller width of the opening. You need to lift it up and out.... Have fun!

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are referring to a completed ‘33 fitting on the tandem axle car hauler yes it has been done. In one of hot rod Jim’s videos he used one but clearance was tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a U-haul trailer but I got my completed 33 on my 16' beaver tail trailer. I had to build 6' long 12" high extended ramps to do it so I could set the aluminum ramps of the trailer on the extended ramps to decrease the beaver tail angle.

1st time without out the extended ramps was not good, I cracked the running board since it got hung up on the transition angle. Totally my fault since I was overly confident it would clear and just went for it with out stopping occasionally to check.

I had no issues with front end clearance. I'm also pretty sure had I not been running the full fender / running board set up this thing would have cleared without the extended ramps. Good learning lesson, sucked I had to repair / touch up the running boards but it all worked out in the end.

Now with the extended ramps I can load it and unload it with no problems.

On trailer using extended ramps:
    20210601_094820.jpg

Damage / repair from initial try without extended ramps:
    20210601_094829.jpg 20210903_172635.jpg

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys and my apologies... I was referring to a completed car.

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    these specs might help. I have never loaded my 33 on a uhaul auto transport, but will be in march, going to Turkey run in Daytona. uhaul trailer specs 2.jpguhaul trailer specs 1.jpg
    arrived July 18th 2019, first cart in Feb. 2020
    BluePrint Engines 383CI TKO600 GM Street&Strip
    Ridler wheels 17x 8 front 20 x 10 rear
    Toyo Proxes 245/35-17 front
    285/25-20 rear
    0mm offset finished Jan 2022

Post Thanks / Like
    I second that question of how to load properly. I have a standard 18' beavertail. I have to use wood blocks in just the right position to keep the exhaust from catching/rubbing. It's such a pain in the ***. the nose seems to clear just fine, but its the middle that seems to want to hang up, similar to 33FromSD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, completed car, my mistake.

Okay, done that too....
    2 things.
    I think you're worried about the angle of the ramp and depending on ride height that may be a problem. Getting onto the ramp wasn't a big deal but at the top of the ramp I scraped the bottom of the frame and muffler a bit. Solution is to put a couple of boards under the ramp to reduce the angles.
    The other thing I ran into had to do with the way uhaul holds the car in place, there are straps that go around the front wheels. My front bike fenders sit quite close to the tire and interfered with the straps. I had to take the fenders off.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Ahhh, completed car, my mistake.

Okay, done that too....
    2 things.
    I think you're worried about the angle of the ramp and depending on ride height that may be a problem. Getting onto the ramp wasn't a big deal but at the top of the ramp I scraped the bottom of the frame and muffler a bit. Solution is to put a couple of boards under the ramp to reduce the angles.
    The other thing I ran into had to do with the way uhaul holds the car in place, there are straps that go around the front wheels. My front bike fenders sit quite close to the tire and interfered with the straps. I had to take the fenders off.

Steve
    Thanks again all, I had to load vipers a few times and would scrape underside if I didn't use runner boards on the ramps and also crank the tongue up as high as I could, planning on doing the same... the front fenders are off the car as well as lower front cowling under grill, I am hauling car for paint so quite disassembled.

Doing this all next week so will update after loaded.

Thanks again all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also used a Uhaul car hauler when I moved. The over size rear tires were a help and a hindrance. They allowed the car to clear without using ramp extensions but I could only pull the car up as far as the rear of the trailer fenders, due to the 18 inch wide tires. It didn't affect the stability at all. At highway speed you would never know it was back there. Good luck.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I also used a Uhaul car hauler when I moved. The over size rear tires were a help and a hindrance. They allowed the car to clear without using ramp extensions but I could only pull the car up as far as the rear of the trailer fenders, due to the 18 inch wide tires. It didn't affect the stability at all. At highway speed you would never know it was back there. Good luck.
    Great thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    I used a U Haul pickup and the 6 x 12 utility trailer with ramp. All the boxes (more or less) went into the bed of the pickup and the frame with body on dropped into the trailer....
    Steve
    FFR told me I would need at least a 16' open trailer or 20' enclosed trailer in addition to my ext cab pickup to get my kit home. Seems like overkill to me. Sounds like you did it with less? Did you get the roof or any other extras?