Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need recommendations for cylinder heads

Post Thanks / Like

Need recommendations for cylinder heads

Thinking about putting together a Dart 427W shortblock. They come with a 26cc dish piston and will give 9.5 to 1 compression with a 62cc head. I would like to run a 60cc head for a little more compression, and still have enough port volume to feed the 427. Any recommendations on a quality head that meets this criteria? Thx, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my CNC ported RHS. The flow 335 on the intake and 242 on the exhaust.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Trick Flow heads. Several designs and cc's to match. Pistons do need to be cut for the heads if you have a close chamber or tons of camshaft lift.
    FFR 4298 Mk III, 5.0, Dual Quads, 3.73 Gears, B303 cam, Pin Drive Vintage Wheels and way too much to list here!
    "It's loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every ten minutes. It's so damn wonderful you can’t believe it."

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John,
    For a hydraulic roller lifter 427-W that is limited to 6200-6400 RPM I would use a AFR 205 or Dart 210 heads. If you want to twist it higher then a solid roller is required and then bigger heads, more compression and less reliability. The question you need to ask yourself is how much HP do I need? The RPM you'll operate at and your budget too. A good running streetable 427-W will put out an easy 1.1- 1.35 HP Per cubic inch on pump gas. So you can expect 469HP to 576HP. The 469HP would be very mild, yet plenty of power and up to 576HP and be very reliable.
    We keep building engines, dynoing each and proving with real numbers what works and works better.... We're a WD for DART, AFR, Edelbrock, Ford Racing & Trick Flow.
    Mike Forte

Post Thanks / Like
    Power comes from cylinder pressure. The more pressure you can build, the more pressure you'll make. If your static compression is only 9.5, in order to keep the pressure up, you'll have to use a fairly "small" cam. That, of course, will limit top end power.

Take a closer look at Gordon's RHS heads. You can get them with a 58cc chamber, and either a 2.02 or 2.08 intake valve. That smaller chamber will bump your pressure up some, and allow for a bigger cam.

Gordon ported a set of Dart heads for me, and they are a work of art. I would call him and discuss your engine plans before spending a nickel. Your intake plans will play a big role in head selection, too.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would go with Trickflow heads. I built a 408w 2 years ago and with fast as cast with a nice valve job and a Jay allen custom cam It made just north of 600 on the engine dyno.