FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust options for the GTM

Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust options for the GTM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for exhaust options if anyone know someone who makes decent ones. I'd prefer Kook's but just in case they may not sell another batch any time soon. My last resort would be to modified the ones from FFR to be catted to pass the smog test.
    Last edited by ohmygosuness; 03-10-2022 at 08:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you just missed the latest call for Kook's orders by Shane last week. The Kooks are much nicer than the stock FFR in both sound and appearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cob427sc View Post
    Looks like you just missed the latest call for Kook's orders by Shane last week. The Kooks are much nicer than the stock FFR in both sound and appearance.
    That is very unfortunate

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to contact Shane just in case someone backs out on an order. I used the kooks on my build (early GTM) switching from the stock setup and it was a great improvement. You mentioned modifying the stock FFR system for cats. The stock system is made to run the stock corvette cats with the supplied exhaust system.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you look in Eric's completion photos you can see the cats attached to the H pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, unfortunately you did miss the window to get in on the last Kooks run.....which may be the last one. The FFR supplied exhaust does include cats.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    If it include cats, that would be great. I'll have to double check when I'm home from work.

I think the stock exhaust would perform better if the middle pipe (connecting the 2 pipes) wasn't a 90 degree elbow. I wonder how difficult it would be to have that modified.

Post Thanks / Like
    I build my own systems and I have mentioned this several times on this forum...the KOOKS is the best bang for the buck that you are going to find. Can you build a quieter system? Yes. Can you build a more efficient system? Yes. But the quality at price point with the Kooks is pretty much unbeatable. If you don't like the stock FFR exhaust my suggestion would be to just get on the list and wait it out to see if you can get on the next Kooks run, or like someone said, there may be a cancellation.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I build my own systems and I have mentioned this several times on this forum...the KOOKS is the best bang for the buck that you are going to find. Can you build a quieter system? Yes. Can you build a more efficient system? Yes. But the quality at price point with the Kooks is pretty much unbeatable. If you don't like the stock FFR exhaust my suggestion would be to just get on the list and wait it out to see if you can get on the next Kooks run, or like someone said, there may be a cancellation.
    Thanks for the input crash. I agree. That's why I prefer Kook's.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Kooks is doing a run I wonder about contacting them directly...maybe still time. https://kooksheaders.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dlud View Post
    If Kooks is doing a run I wonder about contacting them directly...maybe still time. https://kooksheaders.com/
    Yea I was wondering about that too. Probably worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kooks will not sell you this system directly, and they've already told me that no other orders can be added to the current run. Sorry....
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    Kooks will not sell you this system directly, and they've already told me that no other orders can be added to the current run. Sorry....
    Thanks for the heads-up, Shane.

I suppose the stock exhaust will have to do, for now. Unless Kooks announce that they're selling another batch.

Although, I may do some research and modify the current one. I would like to add mufflers. Since the LS2 already sounded pretty loud in my Corvette.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I remember correctly Shane works directly with Kooks, and the only way they even agreed to do these small run systems is because Shane was organizing and batching the orders. Shane is how you get one of these systems. Period.

Not that you cannot build your own, but trust me, you will have a difficult time building headers that fit in the VERY tight confines of the GTM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    If I remember correctly Shane works directly with Kooks, and the only way they even agreed to do these small run systems is because Shane was organizing and batching the orders. Shane is how you get one of these systems. Period.

Not that you cannot build your own, but trust me, you will have a difficult time building headers that fit in the VERY tight confines of the GTM.
    The engine bay does look pretty tight. I was scratching my head last night looking at it. Wondering how am I going to drop the engine in there.

I assume I will be using stock headers from the Corvette (if it fits, since I'll be using one from C6). I was thinking if it's possible to just cut it after the crossover pipe (of the "H") and add mufflers there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    I only suggested that as looking at their website they have an online store that appears to sell directly to the public.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update to this....I just had another customer call and he definitely wants the Kooks GTM system for his car....so if you are still interested in ordering, that would be 2 confirmed orders and we would just need one more to complete another run. If anyone else is also interested, let me know. Thanks.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC