Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Headlight Wiring Confusion

Post Thanks / Like

Headlight Wiring Confusion

Hello builders,

I have the FF headlights and using the RF wiring. Anyone have the wiring color codes for both front left and right headlights? I want to run the DRL. Both my headlights I wired in the little yellow and red wires into the headlight wiring in the housing of the headlight. Now, with the headlight wires I have 3 thicker wires: Red, White and black and 2 thinner wires: red and yellow. How do I wire these up? Any suggestions would help. THank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I did, worked great. For DRL pay attention to the note I made on the sheet, you need to cut the tan wire on the harness that goes to the HL Switch and solder a switch +12V wire to it (should clarify, switched 12V to the tan wire running back to the HLs, don't solder it to the cut off tan wire on the HL switch).

20220311_064118.jpg 20220311_064106.jpg

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 03-11-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

3. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just installed what I think are the same headlights on my truck build this past week. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...6&d=1647002024. Also with the RF harness and with the DRL function. Connections:

RF Chassis Harness -> Headlight Connections

Ground Black -> Black
    High Beam Brown -> White
    Low Beam Red -> Red
    Park (DRL) Tan -> Red (small pigtail)
    Left Turn Dk Green -> White (small pigtail)
    Right Turn Lt Blue -> White (small pigtail)

Several points: (1) This is using the separate headlight pigtail included with the kit. Not the headlight pigtail included in the box with the headlights. That one isn't used per the truck manual. (2) Note that you mention red and yellow for the small wires on the headlights. Mine were red and white. I'd try using the red wire as the DRL (white light bar) and the yellow as turn signals (amber light bar). If that doesn't work, reverse them. No big deal. (3) You need to modify the RF wiring in order to enable the DRL function. I traced the front parking light wire in the main harness near where it goes into the headlight switch. There it needs to be cut and attached to an ignition power +12V source. I used the radio circuit from the RF harness since I don't have a radio. So it gets +12V whenever the key is on and the DRL's are lit. Note if the key is off and you pull the headlight switch to the first position (parking lights) only the back lights will go on since the fronts are disconnected from the headlight switch. I don't know of any other way to wire it. Not a problem IMO. Just how it works. (4) Based on internal circuitry in the headlights, the white light bars (DRL's) automatically switch to amber whenever the turn signals or hazards are switch on. Pretty cool.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Edit: 33fromSD beat me to it. I didn't have a picture that I wanted to show. Just scribbling I did in the build manual. Looks like we're on the same page.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-11-2022 at 07:50 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gentlemen, this forum is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I wired one headlight only just like Edwardb and 33fromSD said. when in accessory mode the amber light turns on. When pulling out headlight switch on click the dash lights come on, then pull out another click and low beams come on, when pulling out for the last click I get the same low beam. the high beam toggle switch works. Here are my questions:

- I ONLY wired and tested drivers side headlight. I get no blinker. Do I need to install other side headlight to get it to work correctly?
    - Rear tail lights are wired, bright red lights are on tail lights. Do I need to adjust the brake light sensor down by the brake pedal? I also get no blinkers. Thank you
    - how do I get the white LED light to work as a DRL?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33PizzaGuy View Post
    So I wired one headlight only just like Edwardb and 33fromSD said. when in accessory mode the amber light turns on. When pulling out headlight switch on click the dash lights come on, then pull out another click and low beams come on, when pulling out for the last click I get the same low beam. the high beam toggle switch works. Here are my questions:

- I ONLY wired and tested drivers side headlight. I get no blinker. Do I need to install other side headlight to get it to work correctly?
    - Rear tail lights are wired, bright red lights are on tail lights. Do I need to adjust the brake light sensor down by the brake pedal? I also get no blinkers. Thank you
    - how do I get the white LED light to work as a DRL?
    Couple things I can think of if you wired like noted above:
    1) If you spliced a "switched +12v" (MUST BE A SWITCHED +12V) into the tan wire by the head light switch without cutting the wire it will not work, the tan wire must be cut at the head light switch and then you attach the "switch +12V" to the tan wire that runs back to the head light.

2) In order for the DRL & signal light to operate the ignition switch must be in the "run" position (not off / not accessory).

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

9. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys. I got it. So cool.

11. Likes 33fromSD liked this post