Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Hot rod value question

Senior Member golfobsessed71@gmail.com's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hot rod value question

Hello all, as I've posted before I am considering selling my 33 hot rod to purchase a roadster.

I still haven't driven in one or even seen a FFR roadster up close but going to look at a few in build stage and also drive one at a dealer later this coming week after some travel.

My question is on the 33 value (realistic value) I understand we would all love our cars to be worth big $$ but I would like to know if I am out of line realistically.

I've seen some sell pretty inexpensive and some advertised at a good price,

I have a Gen 1 33 hotrod, it's an older build finished in 2015, was a doner car build with a Holden LS 6.0 motor and 6L80E Trans, doner car had about 30k miles and about 7k now on the build.

Motor runs fantastic, no noises, drips, smoke etc, the drive train is in excellent condition, shifts drives great and tons of power.

It has Vintage heat/ac that work great, hard top car with power windows though I have it topless now., new Glasurit candy apple red 3 stage paint that looks fantastic.

New rims and tires (about 50 miles on both)

Runs drives and sounds great, runs cool even in AZ heat, haven't even had to turn on fans yet.

It is a driver and not a brand new build but I have seen a few others lately and find my car to be much nicer than what I'm seeing.

Doors still need a bit of adjustment as the tops sit out just a touch, stereo is OK nothing great, small scratch in roadster windshield, wilwood brakes bias needs a bit of adjustment to the rear (too much front brakes)

But otherwise a nice car mechanically sound and killer color on the car. (Pics don't do it justice)

I have not yet decided to sell but now that I'm looking at roadsters I would like to have an idea of this cars rough value.

A straight across deal would be great but not really expecting that, looking at cobras in the mid-upper $40k range to $50k

Was planning on asking about $40k for the 33 hot rod.

I have all docs from day one, build book, all notes through build, receipts etc and the always has been and still is titled as a 33

Am I out of line thinking in the $40k range ? 20220319_183028.jpg20220319_183114.jpg20220319_183051.jpg20220319_182949.jpg20220319_153513.jpg20220327_184013.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is you could get in that range. Looks nice. I would try Bring a Trailer. They seem to get the best prices and you can set a minimum bid price.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may have seen that Tom (Wallace18) just sold his recent '33 build. He had it listed for 39K but I don't know what it sold for.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys... I did see it listed for $39k assuming it sold about that as it sold pretty quick.

Still not sure and if I don't feel I can get about that I won't move forward, I paid $44k and do enjoy the car... just too many years in a Viper and planning to go back to a stick.

I could get used to the auto I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    The "risk" with any kit car, or any classic car/truck restoration is we tend to pour more into them then they are worth when the time comes to sell. Value is much different than what we spend to build them. Folks also tend to use places such as Mecham & Barret Jackson as indicators to the vehicle market which is not a good plan since auction prices are fluid and inflated depending upon the vehicle / bidders at the time. I've actually found for classics that Hagerty's price guide in their website is very accurate and a great tool for setting price. They do a good job defining condition rating guidelines.

Kit cars are the unknown in the market. Pricing / selling them is really dependent upon finding a buyer who is in it more for the "wow factor / uniqueness" and that drives what they are willing to pay. When I buy cars, I typically pay market prices. Unfortunately for the seller, it's not my issue the seller loaded the cars with goodies at the time of the build (cameras, stereo, fancy wiring, remote start/lock, heated seats, power everything, etc.) those items are personal preference items during the build and do not do much for the overall value.

A lot of builders are surprised how much they spent when all if said and done and everything is added up. I learned this the hard way on one of the my first builds in my younger days (built a 70 Chevelle, stuck about $40K into it, top dollar at the time was about $22K). Now when I do builds I give myself a budget and I track everything thing in a spreadsheet so I can monitor the budget. I usually come within 5-10% of my original budget.

I have a handful of vehicles I know I will keep / pass on to my kids, so those I tend to spend a bit more (putting on more goodies, spending a little more on finishes, more expensive paint, etc.) the rest of the vehicles I restore are still very nice when done, but they are more budget builds (less goodies, less motor/tranny, basic suspension, more cost effective finishes, step down in paint, etc.).

Good luck with your sale, I do hope you get what you're looking for. There are buyers out there that are willing to pay more, just takes longer to find them.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

6. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's an old saw that says a custom car is worth what you want for it minus what it will cost the new owner to take items off of/fix the car to make it their own.

So there's a balance between the cost to make the car your own and the cost to build it the way the market "likes", should the day come that you have to sell it.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again guys... just didn't have a good gauge on the ffr 33, I really don't see them for sale often and when I do it's a dealer.

I threw it on Craigslist last night just to try to get a feel if there would be an interest for $39.9k and woke to three interested parties so far.

I am traveling back towards end of week to go look at a few Cobras and will make a decision if im moving forward

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to kit cars and resale value there are Cobras and then everything else. The cost to build a Cobra is not that far off as a Hot Rod, but the resale is all in the Cobras. I love both my MKII Cobra and Gen I Hot Rod. They have different motors in then and offer a different driving experience. I would have not problem finding a buying for the Cobra. The Hot Rod would take longer and I would get less money for it. With that said, resale value was not a thought for me on each of the vehicles.

10. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will always say to build the car. It really is an experience that should be done. Once you have built one of these cars, then buying one is very different. You know what to look for, the pain points, where you can take a short cut, and more importantly, where you cannot take a short cut. Buying a built kit car is buying someone's project. Extreme care should be involved. With that said, take your time.

As of this posting, here is what I am seeing for prices.
    $40k for the kit (that includes all of the options I care about. Full fenders, top, AC, Willwood brakes, gauges, power steering, windows etc) and delivery to my house
    $15k Coyote motor / wiring loom / transmission and IRS parts (might be low)
    $10k paint
    $ 5k Tires and wheels
    I am going to stop here. This is $60k and does not include a lot of little items that add up. Stuff like, stereo, sound deadening, custom interior, QA1 shocks, wipers, door solenoids, wireless door fobs, and everything you read on these forums that you think that you need and hey, they are only a couple hundred dollars, so why not? It is really easy to have $80k+ in parts on these cars. Now here is the hard part. When you spend all of this money building a the car, you drive it and....it is loud, harsh, hard to drive, over powered, and just a handful. That is why you see so many cars for sale with amazing spec sheets and less than 1000 miles for $40k. Are these cars worth it? I would say yes. We are in a time where modern cars are 500-1000hp, have great safety system, traction control, ABS, stability control, automatics, and even can talk to the passenger on the freeway without screaming. They are crazy fast and anyone can drive them...and are numb. When ever I drive one of my FFR cars, when I get to my destination, I had an experience. (Factory Five Racing, every drive is an experience tm) This is like being in Jr High and asking a partner to dance and going through all of the emotions vs ordering a coffee at Starbucks.

12. Likes sread, J R Jones, FF33rod, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic View Post
    I will always say to build the car. It really is an experience that should be done. Once you have built one of these cars, then buying one is very different. You know what to look for, the pain points, where you can take a short cut, and more importantly, where you cannot take a short cut. Buying a built kit car is buying someone's project. Extreme care should be involved. With that said, take your time.

As of this posting, here is what I am seeing for prices.
    $40k for the kit (that includes all of the options I care about. Full fenders, top, AC, Willwood brakes, gauges, power steering, windows etc) and delivery to my house
    $15k Coyote motor / wiring loom / transmission and IRS parts (might be low)
    $10k paint
    $ 5k Tires and wheels
    I am going to stop here. This is $60k and does not include a lot of little items that add up. Stuff like, stereo, sound deadening, custom interior, QA1 shocks, wipers, door solenoids, wireless door fobs, and everything you read on these forums that you think that you need and hey, they are only a couple hundred dollars, so why not? It is really easy to have $80k+ in parts on these cars. Now here is the hard part. When you spend all of this money building a the car, you drive it and....it is loud, harsh, hard to drive, over powered, and just a handful. That is why you see so many cars for sale with amazing spec sheets and less than 1000 miles for $40k. Are these cars worth it? I would say yes. We are in a time where modern cars are 500-1000hp, have great safety system, traction control, ABS, stability control, automatics, and even can talk to the passenger on the freeway without screaming. They are crazy fast and anyone can drive them...and are numb. When ever I drive one of my FFR cars, when I get to my destination, I had an experience. (Factory Five Racing, every drive is an experience tm) This is like being in Jr High and asking a partner to dance and going through all of the emotions vs ordering a coffee at Starbucks.
    I concur....

14. Likes Brastic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brastic, "(Factory Five Racing, every drive is an experience tm)"

How about "Like buying fake boobs for your wife."

OTOH she will never let you forget.
    jim