Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Brake running lights stay on

Post Thanks / Like

Brake running lights stay on

Hello,

So I have wired my cars headlights (thanks to you guys for the help) and rear brake lights. As of right now when car is on, my front LED white DRL is on AND my rear running brake lights. Is this right? I do get a brighter light when brake is pressed. Blinkers, hazards all work and on the headlights as well. I just dont know if I am wanting my DRL on my headlights does that mean the rears are on too? I dont need them on during the day but only when I press the brake pedal. Or is the how the Ron Francis wiring harness is. Thanks for any help.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, that's not normal. Sounds like something still isn't right with your wiring. Can't diagnose too much, but just to confirm... To enable the front DRL's, the power wire for your front running lights (tan wires in the RF harness) should be completely separated from your headlight switch and connected to a different ignition powered +12V source. I used the radio circuit but there are other possibilities. Described in the previous post you referenced. When you turn the ignition on, the front white DRL's should be lit and that's it. Wired correctly, no way the rears are also lit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with edwardB, without seeing it, it's hard to troubleshoot but on the tail lights be sure you're not using the purple wire from the harness and then this is how I wired mine

Right Side:
    Wire Harness_________Brake Light
    Black Wire --------------> White Wire
    White turn sig wire -----> Red Wire
    Tan tail light wire -------> Black Wire

Left Side:
    Wire Harness_________Brake Light
    Black Wire --------------> White Wire
    Yellow turn sig wire ----> Red Wire
    Tan tail light wire -------> Black Wire

With the ignition SW in the "run" position (not accessory), only the DRL lights should be on unless the head light switch is on and then the rear parking light should be on. Check the wiring like I noted above.

If that doesn't work, send some pics of the wiring so we can try to help troubleshoot.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 03-30-2022 at 06:59 AM.
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the replies. @33fromSD: Yes my wiring is exactly like what you just mentioned. Even purple wires cut. The headlight switch is pushed in and when I turn key one click before it starts the DLR come on and the running lights in the rear come on.IMG_6544 Small.jpegIMG_6545 Small.jpegIMG_6546 Small.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33PizzaGuy View Post
    Thank you for the replies. @33fromSD: Yes my wiring is exactly like what you just mentioned. Even purple wires cut. The headlight switch is pushed in and when I turn key one click before it starts the DLR come on and the running lights in the rear come on.IMG_6544 Small.jpegIMG_6545 Small.jpegIMG_6546 Small.jpeg
    Mine is still stored or I'd check but if memory serves me correctly, there was only one tan wire I cut on the headlight switch, I see you cut two. One of the tan wires needs to stay connected to the headlight switch because it's for the tail lights. By cutting both and wiring them to a switched 12v every time you cycle the vehicle on the tail lights will illuminate.

The two tan wires are:
    * Tan Wire = RT Park Light LT FD
    * Tan Wire = Tail LT FD

The tan wire you want to have connected to the Switched 12v is the "RT Park Light LT FD", the other tan wire ("Tail LT FD") should be reconnected to the tan wire on the head light switch.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I will check that out. I think the tan wire just looped so I cut it so I will check. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Mine is still stored or I'd check but if memory serves me correctly, there was only one tan wire I cut on the headlight switch, I see you cut two. One of the tan wires needs to stay connected to the headlight switch because it's for the tail lights. By cutting both and wiring them to a switched 12v every time you cycle the vehicle on the tail lights will illuminate.

The two tan wires are:
    * Tan Wire = RT Park Light LT FD
    * Tan Wire = Tail LT FD

The tan wire you want to have connected to the Switched 12v is the "RT Park Light LT FD", the other tan wire ("Tail LT FD") should be reconnected to the tan wire on the head light switch.

Jim

I got it. I had both tan wires hooked up to a +12v source. THANK YOU

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33PizzaGuy View Post
    I got it. I had both tan wires hooked up to a +12v source. THANK YOU
    Good to hear, forward progress is always a bonus.

Jim

9. Likes theidlemind liked this post