Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Switching from hard top to roadster on 33?

Post Thanks / Like

Switching from hard top to roadster on 33?

Recently I bought someone’s “finished” 33. I am doing it over with my own style and changing some things. First up is I want to be able to convert it back and forth between a coup and roadster. It is currently in coupe form and I recently purchased the roadster windshield. However I’m having a really hard time accessing the front bolts to remove the hard top. Curious what guys who flip back and forth between roaster and hard top do to make the change over easier. Do you cut access holes to access the bolts or do you fight under the dash to access them. I’m trying to come up with something that makes flipping back and fourth a much less cumbersome process. I’m sure many on here have already figured this out but in my searches of the forum I am having trouble finding something. Let me know what you guys have come up with!

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have the build manual first off? It shows how to cut the holes in the cowl to access the bolts. Now that's only true if the original builder followed the book and didn't do something weird and use some other method of bolting down the hard top. You can call Factory five and order a digital copy of the build manual to show you how to do this. Is this a gen 1 or a gen 2 because it may make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is a gen 1, it will be very difficult without having a removable dash panel. If the car has A/C , probably mandatory. I do it by going thru the access panels in the cowl and removing the drivers side dash panel ( I made removable sheet metal panels) to access the center stud. The 2 end studs can be reached going under the dash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the quick responses! I do have the manual and looked at that option. I'll likely need to cut the holes in the cowl for sure. Is there a template in the manual for the cut out holes? I haven't found it yet if there is. Was also curious if anyone had come up with some clever ways of making the swap between hard top and windshield faster/easier. I saw one guy that used latches on the back side and wing nuts on the front. If anyone knows of anyone's specific builds that addresses any of this let me know! I'm still new to ownership of the car and working my way through the forums and manual to get the best understanding before finalizing a plan. Thank you all again for your help!