Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Right Turn Signal Honks Horn

Post Thanks / Like

Right Turn Signal Honks Horn

Hey guys, so I had the wiring all done for the headlights, turn signals and tail lights. Even hazards work. I had to relocate the headlight harness from Ron Francis and when I wired the headlights back everything works. even the DRL. BUT, now when I turn the right turn signal it honks the horn. Scared the crap outta me LOL. Why would it be doing this all the sudden? Horn works when pressed on steering wheel. Any help much appreciated. Thank you

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are completely separate circuits in the Ron Francis harness. Some kind of mis-wire could cause that. But not sure what that might be. First things first -- you have the Ididit column with the Hot Rod and using the hot rod harness leg on the Ron Francis harness? That would make wiring pretty straightforward. Assuming you've isolated and tied off the other turn signal, horn, etc. wires in the harness per the FF instructions. My guess is something in the turn signal switch is grounding the horn. Ididit uses a GM setup for the turn signal and horn. If you remove the horn button along with the grounding contact, spring, etc. does it still honk the horn with the turn signal?
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I ran int this too one time. the screw that holds the direction lever on to the switch can hit the clock spring mechanism that is used to activate the horn. Try pulling the directional lever back and forth to see if the horn beeps.
    Mike

4. Likes FF33rod, 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the reply and yes I have the Ididit column with the Hot Rod and using the hot rod harness leg on the Ron Francis harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will remove the steering wheel horn button and check the directional lever and springs as per michael everson. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. So move the turn signal lever on steering column back and forth and see if it honks? What is weird is I can use the turn signal to turn right and not have the horn go off ONLY if I do it slowly. If I do it like with a little more force then the horn will honk .

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet its the screw holing the turn signal lever. put a piece of tape over it and see if the problem goes away.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    It was the turn lever. Who would of thought. I just took off my steering wheel, looked inside while turning the right blinker on and it was the spring thing that goes to the horn. It was loose. Thank you.