Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clock Spring delete

Post Thanks / Like

Clock Spring delete

I’m not sure if this helps anyone…

I went and threw the clock spring away during the tear down of the donor. Then I installed an NRG hub for an aftermarket wheel. I overlooked the directional return switch and found myself having to manually switch them off when returning to center. Replacement clock springs are 100-150 and use have to cut it up.

Instead I made an adapter for the hub. Mine had 3 notches that were not symmetrical or even centered. So I made 1 that fit mine, and another with no key way that will work not quite as well but was not dependent on the notch location. Hub diameter is 36mm by 11mm deep and overall length is 40mm.

EF477056-A7D3-4F25-8F5E-E4536FE16E57.jpeg547320CD-8F0B-4B93-AA78-4444B93BADDB.jpeg9A1D5863-73FB-413B-8B4E-FBA0EAD49CBE.jpgD4C20E23-CA46-43AA-8564-28FE76CF8F67.jpg

I printed it with PETG for my install, but the PLA one I ran off was pretty strong. There really isn’t much resistance on the button at all so durability doesn’t seem to be an issue.

I have the the STL files if anyone wants to print them, just PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I actually went through this dilemma not too long ago. I ordered a clock spring thinking I needed it when installing my NRG wheel. Then I realized I didn't need it but would have to go back in and wire in my horn. I punted at the time knowing the turn signals would be manual and require me to turn them off so this would be a helpful little part to get made. It would be a great file to have to go back and correct this.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be easiest if you were to host the file on thingiverse or printables and link it here. I've tried to do that with my 3D printable parts. I think I even created an FFR818 tag on Thingiverse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    It would be easiest if you were to host the file on thingiverse or printables and link it here. I've tried to do that with my 3D printable parts. I think I even created an FFR818 tag on Thingiverse.
    I saw your parts in thingiverse actually. I didn’t have a printer at the time and made the column relocation plate myself. I litterally just made it yesterday and printed while at work. I wanted to make sure it actually worked before I even mentioned it. I’ll add it to the side and tag it so it’s easy to find hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a side note.. idk why I procrastinate on getting a 3d printer for so long. This thing has changed my life, I need to get at least 1 more preferably one for larger builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 at this point. A 200x200x220 with a 0.4mm nozzle, a 400x400x400 with 0.8mm nozzle, and a 400x400x700 IDEX with 1.4mm nozzles. I have at least one running most days, there are always things to make.

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put off 3D printing until just this year. Go figure, really is just my kind of stuff to play with. But wanted to wait till it got less experimental... best way to describe it I guess. Well it is here and I too wonder why I waited so long. Another cool toy and useful tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Ottw; 05-14-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you provide a part number of the Honda spring clip and the specs on the screw you used?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a 5mm x 30mm stainless screw and cut/ground to size. Here is the spring.
    7573467A-26B8-4965-98FE-57A2496BAFEA.jpg

11. Thanks blomb11 thanked for this post