BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door Mirror Install Technique

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Door Mirror Install Technique

The install was quick and painless on the driver's side after learning from installing the passenger side power mirror. But I would recommend doing them simultaneously for symmetry and efficiency.

*Measure 2 1/4" as per the manual.
    *Remove the two aft studs from the mirror housing by using vise grip pliers on the stud ends.
    *Place the mirror's rubber gasket in position on the door as per the manual.
    *Drill the forward 1/4" hole and a 3/4" hole for the mirror's harness.
    *Place the mirror on the door and hand tightened the nut so that the mirror can will pivot about the stud, but will stay in place on it's on.
    *You can now take measurements and set both mirror for function and appearance.
    *I reccommend sitting in the GTM and checking the mirrors views for function.
    *Now slide some tape between the gasket and the mirror to hold it while you drill the remaining holes using it as the template.
    *Tip* Since the nut has the attached large washer you can elongate or slightly over size the two aft holes to give you some minor adjustment ability during installation.

http://youtu.be/9lYxmwytrv0

HTHs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    I am getting ready to mount the mirrors so great timing on this post.

When I tried to use the vise grips to remove the studs they would not budge. Are the pressed in or threaded? I tried to unscrew them but that did not work so I was wondering whether I needed to pull them straight out.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    The studs might be installed with a thread locker. If so heat stud up and unscrew stud..... Terrible Terry 33rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods864 View Post
    I am getting ready to mount the mirrors so great timing on this post.

When I tried to use the vise grips to remove the studs they would not budge. Are the pressed in or threaded? I tried to unscrew them but that did not work so I was wondering whether I needed to pull them straight out.

Thanks in advance!
    There is a glue or thread lock of some sort, as there is a white substance on the stud. Use a quality set of lock pliers The set you see in the picture are "vise grip" brand. I recall having to lock down on a few of the threads on one, but I just corrected the threads by running the nut from the opposite end.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the process. I am working alone and trying to do this via the manual was impossible, but this process made it go very smoothly.

I had one difficult stud to remove, of course the first one I tried, but the others went much smoother.