BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: NA Miata Seats in a Gen 1 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like

NA Miata Seats in a Gen 1 Hot Rod

I had the big-and-wide seats in my hot rod. They are fine if you are big and wide. If not, there is very little padding. I was only able to sit in the car for an hour before it started to hurt. Two hour drives were painful. After looking around, I went with the Miata seats. I found a Craigslist special from someone parting out a track car that was best described as a test bed for all three of Newton's laws of motion. I got two NA Miata once black cloth seats for $50. I ordered up some Mr. Mikes seat covers with the V in 8 logo that I love. Since I was going to have the seats apart, I also picked up some seat heaters and speakers. After some time on the Miata stereo forums, I ended up with some cheap 3" full range speakers. My big worry was sitting too tall. The OEM seats are bolted to the floor and are only about 1" off of the floor. After assembling the seats and doing a test fit, I found Miata seats to be still too tall. I am only 5'10" and I could not see out of my coupe. I tried the foamectomy where you cut out the foam in the bottom bulge of the pan and it helped, but I was still too tall. I ended up cutting out the bottom bulge of the seat. I used some flat stock in a christcross to hold the pan together. Now I am good. These seats barely fit in the hot rod. They are jammed in and do not move in any direction. A big thank you to JimLev who told me to put the back adjustment on the inside. They do not fit at all in the other way. I have a 1000 miles on the seats and they have been life changing. My total cost came out to $622 and I am happy with that. If I were to do it again, I might have looked into the Kirkey seats that FFR recommends.

PXL_20220512_182036902.jpgPXL_20220512_175812498.jpgPXL_20220501_204759719.jpgPXL_20220501_210033749.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Brastic, I just saw your post. Looks like your seats may be newer than mine. I raised mine up about 2”, the tops just clear the roll bar.
    No V8 on mine, guess yours are a little wider too. I also added seat heaters and found better aftermarket speakers.
    Mine had the seat sliders which work pretty well.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.